Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Well guys, today was a monumental day for me. I FINALLY got the bags and luggage rack installed. And let me tell you, it was an ORDEAL for someone with a minimal tool kit and limited mechanical skills.

I had bought the bags from FlatSix on this forum shortly after I bought the bike in June. But I wanted to wait until this beast of a summer wore down and it wasn't ridiculously hot outside to install them. And, I knew the luggage rack would share hardware with them, and didn't want to go all the way and have to redo it. So I bought the Honda OEM rack, much to my chagrin, as I think it does not go well in terms of being chrome on an almost all black bike, nor does its design flow well with the contours. But I knew anything else would be a worse nightmare for me to try to get fabricated and installed.

I got the saddlebags on a couple weeks ago and even that was a nightmare, getting everything to fit properly and get the spacers in where they belong without dropping them down between the fender and the bag. The instructions from Honda indicated that the passenger pegs had to come off to remove the plastic rear panel to expose the hole for the bag attachment. Those pegs are torqued on to the bike so tightly, no human without specialty tools could EVER remove them. I tried with my power screwdriver and it is pretty high torque, but it wouldn't budge them. But then, I watched the video posted by our forum member and noticed he didn't bother to remove them. So, I proceeded and also did not remove them. That cost me an hour and a half of trying to get the pegs off, not to mention almost ruining my back and hands. I was as angry and frustrated as a guy could be!

The left side bag is much more difficult than the right, as you're having to attach the bottom bolt in a very tight place with no room to turn a wrench. Somehow I got it on. I was pretty proud to have gotten both bags on and everything back together by myself. Took me an entire afternoon even with watching the video step by step. I was very, very grateful to our forum member for posting that video as I could not have done it without that.

I left the bolts for the bags hand tight so that when I was ready to install the rack, I could just pull them out and reinsert them. After the day I had doing the bags, I waited a few to do the rack as I knew it wouldn't be easy, again for a guy with limited tools and skills. And after watching the video on installing the rack on Q's Moto Vlog on YouTube, I knew it wasn't going to be easy.

Last week I tried to install it. I spent two entire afternoons trying to get the bolts out and reinstalled with the luggage rack supports in the mix. Honda specified and supplied four thick spacers, one for each bolt, with the rack. But if you tried to install the rack with them in there, the bolts were too short to reach the holes. So, I didn't know what to do. Beyond that, even with the spacers excluded, I could no longer get the bolts and holes aligned once I put the supports in. I wrenched for HOURS trying to get them in. Even had two friends try, and they couldn't. I worked until my thumb and index fingertips were in utter pain from squeezing and pushing those bolts. I gave up and decided to try again another day. And when I tried again, it still wouldn't fit, and I still had the confusion of whether the spacers were to be included.

I finally gave up and called Honda to schedule an appointment. They told me to bring it in this past Thursday and they should be able to get it done by end of day that day. They didn't. Friday afternoon finally came around and I called, and they hadn't even touched it yet. I was a bit miffed, but didn't want to piss them off. You make an appointment and they should honor it. But I didn't buy the bike or the rack from them, so I got put at the back of the line. They called 15 minutes prior to closing today and told me it was done. I paid over the phone and had a friend drop me off, and rode it home. I am unbelievably relieved to finally have this project done. After having had all the parts in my house for months, fretting about what to do about the rack and coloring, and finally all the installation issues, I feel like a huge weight is off my shoulders!

Now, just need to get the drink holder on, and I'm pretty much DONE! Honda told me mine was the first Valkyrie they'd seen in their shop (at least since the service guy had been there for a year and a half).

Here's a pic. Hope it shows correctly.

Richmonder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1024201625.jpg (474.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 1024201625_HDR.jpg (305.4 KB, 14 views)

"There are no motorcycles in a psychiatrist's parking lot."

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Last edited by Richmonder; 10-24-2020 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Correction of term
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Sorry. Even when I flip the image in my computer it still comes out upside down. I don't understand why this site does that.

Richmonder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1024201625.jpg (474.7 KB, 5 views)

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Are you gonna take a trip on that thing now that its cooled down a little? Blue Ridge Parkway, or the Outer Banks perhaps?
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Six View Post
Are you gonna take a trip on that thing now that its cooled down a little? Blue Ridge Parkway, or the Outer Banks perhaps?

Agree! That bike looks so purdy that he needs to get his butt out here and show it off! Just be careful with those wet leaves in the twisties!!! Have fun and don't let the cool weather scare you.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder View Post
Sorry. Even when I flip the image in my computer it still comes out upside down. I don't understand why this site does that.

Richmonder
I don't know how he can ride that bike if it's upside down.
Are you sure they put the luggage rack on right?
Hot Rod likes this.

Let's Ride
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I don't know how he can ride that bike if it's upside down.
Are you sure they put the luggage rack on right?

I have a sneaking suspicion he just might be Australian.
Hot Rod likes this.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Yep, I have some friends out in the Blue Ridge area that I visit periodically and that will be just the excuse I need! Course, just as I got it all done, we get cold temperatures and rain! Now, when I went to reinstall the rear seat (which I feared might be pretty challenging now that the rack is on), I realized I lost a collar on one of the little bolts that hold the seat to the fender. But it still works. I'd feel better if I could locate one of those.

Now, do I have to stand on my head to get a picture to align properly? Maybe I have to learn how to ride inverted (suddenly I have the dialogue from Top Gun going through my head! "Because I was inverted"). What gives with that?!

Jack B, maybe that's what happened! I'm calling Honda! Now all I have is a 750 pound paperweight with a luggage rack!

I'm sleeping so much better these days with visions of that beautiful bike in my head, all complete and ready to go. I probably should have invested $100 while it was in the shop and gotten an oil change since it's still using the same oil from 2014, even though it only has less than 1000 miles on it.

Thanks all!

Richmonder

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Go to Revzilla OEM section click through to he 14 Valkyrie then the seating section they can get pretty much every part
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the lead on that, but I don't see it. That's a pretty high detail specialty part.

Richmonder

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page