Trailer hitch - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
SLO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Trailer hitch

I have searched the net and while there are discussions about hitches there doesn't seem to be a hitch made for the Valk (2014-2015). Except for maybe the Australia one, which is butt ugly.

Anyone found one that works?
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Although I don't necessarily follow all the rules all the time, the manual that came with my '14 specifically states that our bike is not designed to pull a trailer. Maybe they put that in there just for liability reasons, but then why would 'Wings be different? They pull trailers all the time.
Not saying it's not possible, but to me, pulling a trailer with my Valk instead of with a Goldwing or such, which I don't have or need, would be like pulling my 12,000 lb. dump-trailer with my car instead of my F-250. I just don't understand why, but do as you will and please ride safe and good luck with it.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:14 PM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
for making beer runs and hauling lumber from home depot, who needs a trailer when you can clip on/off something like this?

Ursus Horribilus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
SLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUGO View Post
Although I don't necessarily follow all the rules all the time, the manual that came with my '14 specifically states that our bike is not designed to pull a trailer. Maybe they put that in there just for liability reasons, but then why would 'Wings be different? They pull trailers all the time.
Not saying it's not possible, but to me, pulling a trailer with my Valk instead of with a Goldwing or such, which I don't have or need, would be like pulling my 12,000 lb. dump-trailer with my car instead of my F-250. I just don't understand why, but do as you will and please ride safe and good luck with it.

LOL .. just how big of a trailer did you think I want to pull?

piggybacker.jpg

FYI.. it weighs less than I do.. even when loaded. So to say the Valkyrie isn't capable of hauling around another 150 pounds but a Goldwing is makes no sense to me at all.. it's still a Goldwing .. of course it can do that. And more .. a lot more.

My VTX1300 hauled that trailer around for 40K miles. After the first ride with it I just left it on. Became my trunk. Never knew it was back there. On a v-twin. 1300cc.
I will do the same with this bike cuz it is awfully handy having a large trunk.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Take the car
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
SLO

I do not own, or need to own a 4 wheeled vehicle. So having a trailer is more of a necessity.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:31 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Looks like you may have to get someone to fab one up for you.

Doesn't look like it would be a hard thing to make. I may do one up over the winter to see how difficult it would be. Looks like it can be connected to the exhaust hanger location, but it would need to be hooked up somewhere in the back, under the rear fender. The trick is to not make it look like a hodge podge piece of crap. I made one for my old 1999 Valkyrie Interstate at one time and it wasn't hard at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
LOL .. just how big of a trailer did you think I want to pull?

Attachment 10661

FYI.. it weighs less than I do.. even when loaded. So to say the Valkyrie isn't capable of hauling around another 150 pounds but a Goldwing is makes no sense to me at all.. it's still a Goldwing .. of course it can do that. And more .. a lot more.

My VTX1300 hauled that trailer around for 40K miles. After the first ride with it I just left it on. Became my trunk. Never knew it was back there. On a v-twin. 1300cc.
I will do the same with this bike cuz it is awfully handy having a large trunk.
Well, why didn't you say you don't use 4-wheel transportation!? No wonder you need more storage on occasion! I just got back from a trip this weekend up to Chicago to see my 90 yr.-old mother, 200+ miles north. As I was staying overnight in a hotel, I packed my OGIO motorcycle backpack (love that thing) with what I needed and strapped it to my passenger backrest, resting on the pillion. My concern has nothing to do with the extra 150 pounds. My wife weighs more than that and when she rides with me, yes, I feel the extra weight and it slightly affects the bike, but the bike is way too strong to not be able to absorb it easily. That's the beauty of torque. (How many other street bikes develop more torque than horsepower? That's what creates the magic, in my opinion.) My concern is the fact that Honda felt it necessary to tell us that this particular model was not designed for the trailer experience, for whatever reason they had (and like I said originally, more likely than not, it's hyper-liability-avoidance). Again, good luck with your ride. Your trailer is so small as to not even be felt when you're pulling it, but I'd really like to know why Honda said not to. Inquiring minds and all...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:22 PM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUGO View Post
I'd really like to know why Honda said not to. Inquiring minds and all...
lawyers , aka snakes in the grass, love deep pockets..

Ursus Horribilus
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho View Post
lawyers , aka snakes in the grass, love deep pockets..
Amen to that. My wife worked either running a law office or at the county courthouse as Recorder, etc. her whole career until she retired three years ago. She knows them all, judges included, and fortunately knows a few nice exceptions to your rule, but generally agrees with you.

I've never read a Goldwing Owner's Manual, never owning that bike, but I'd also be curious what Honda says regarding trailering in those manuals. I know there are posters here who own both bikes. Does Honda mention trailering for 'Wingers? Discourage it in any way? I'd imagine they don't specifically say "DON'T" like in the Valkyrie manual, as I see too many. Just a thought, and I don't know too much from engineering perspectives, but would the Valk's single-sided swingarm have anything to do with it?

Poncho: I've never seen a sidecar like that!! I watched the video carefully, twice, mentally measuring it's turning radii, etc., in the slaloms and so forth. Very intriguing. I would imagine that Honda would frown on one for the new Valk, just to further distance themselves from imaginative lawsuits, but I'm wondering how much longer my wife can ride pillion. Looking at future options. Was that sidecar a one-off or is it on the market?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page