? on running rear 200 55 17's - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Firefight100

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
? on running rear 200 55 17's

So for those running the michelin commander ll 200 55 17.

Do you think the same size in other brands would work as well? I was thinking they would all manufacture slightly different shapes or contours to the tires. or is there just enough room?

I'm sick of tryin to find a 180 its nuts!
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Firefight100
I ran several of the M C 2's in 200 width and they wore well and no problems with them at all. I dont know about other 200's.
Afta likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Id like to try a Dunlop Elite 200 55 17. it has a higher weight rating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afta View Post

I have seen on the forums where people have done the 200s, but the Michelin Road 4s and Road 5s were getting great reviews so I just went with those. I doubt I even have 1,000 miles on them yet but so far I have been impressed. Not trying to steer you away from the 200s, just passing along what I did. I definitely felt an immediate difference in the turning with the narrower front, though I am so used to it now that I forget what it was like on the Dunlops. I just remember that (right after putting on the 120) being able to very quickly change the lean angle, the bike suddenly felt much more nimble in comparison! I've had these on grooved pavement, tar snakes, bridge grates, and even unpaved roads and felt just as confident as the Dunlops, if not more so.

• Rear: Road 5 - 180/55ZR17 73W
    • Front: Road 5 Trail - 120/70ZR19 60W
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I wouldn't go bigger than a 190... It can affect the handling..

14 Valkyrie
02 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
02 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura
07 Yamaha YZF-R6
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bparish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afta View Post

I have seen on the forums where people have done the 200s, but the Michelin Road 4s and Road 5s were getting great reviews so I just went with those. I doubt I even have 1,000 miles on them yet but so far I have been impressed. Not trying to steer you away from the 200s, just passing along what I did. I definitely felt an immediate difference in the turning with the narrower front, though I am so used to it now that I forget what it was like on the Dunlops. I just remember that (right after putting on the 120) being able to very quickly change the lean angle, the bike suddenly felt much more nimble in comparison! I've had these on grooved pavement, tar snakes, bridge grates, and even unpaved roads and felt just as confident as the Dunlops, if not more so.

• Rear: Road 5 - 180/55ZR17 73W
    • Front: Road 5 Trail - 120/70ZR19 60W
I have commander II’s on a lighter motorcycle ... is the pilot better for the Valkyrie ? I have experienced superior handling with the commander II’s on tar snakes and road grooves etc
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashram1974 View Post
I have commander IIís on a lighter motorcycle ... is the pilot better for the Valkyrie ? I have experienced superior handling with the commander IIís on tar snakes and road grooves etc
Wish I could say! I've never run the Commanders so unfortunately I can't compare them to the Pilots.
Hopefully someone else on the forum has run both (on a Valk) to weigh in on this?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Well after much contemplation I ordered the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 in a 190 55 17 75W Instead of the 180 55 17 73W. A Friend of mine is a service manager at a Honda dealer and though he has not yet had any Valks in for tires. We both felt this was a good choice and competitor to the Michelin pilot 4 GT. I should have it this weekend and will try to install it and get some feed back for you all as time marches on.

I appreciate all your comments. I thought sure I would get the commander ll in 200 but not this time.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

The tire Dunlop Roadsmart lll in 190 55 17 fit and I have 60 miles on it which is nothing but the ride home from the dealer. To soon to give much detail of course but here is my first thoughts, the bike seems taller in the rear, stiffer in the rear, was tippy at first but was great after about 35 or 40 miles. it looks good. I think it might be a good tire, but again way too soon. I just had a minute and thought I'd share.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 09:15 AM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Wentz View Post
I wouldn't go bigger than a 190... It can affect the handling..
everything we do to our scoots affect handling. some things improve and some things detract.. by handling , do you mean carving? if so, then everything we do to lighten, lower, improve suspension and steering response is a positive. big heavy tires detract from quick steering and carving.. at speed. you can still carve the benders at lower / legal speeds.
If you mean, long distance traveling, most everything we do to increase creature comfort (tire size does) improves our attention and reduces fatigue which has overall affect on handling.
everything affects everything. we have to find the balance or what is called the "sweet spot" of our individual requirements.. but yes, tire choice and size does affect handling.

Ursus Horribilus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page