Taller final drive ratio! - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Taller final drive ratio!

I happened across this video on YouTube. This guy is machining a taller final drive ratio gear set for goldwings. Watch the dyno screen. He makes it to 80mph before he reaches 3,000rpm.

It's no secret that the 01-17 goldwings and our valkyries really could have used a 6th gear. And aside from spending a hundred thousand dollars developing a 6 speed gear box to fit our bike, it seems a much more cost effective solution is just swap out the diff gears.

Sure, you will lose a tiny fraction of your acceleration, but so what? I'm not racing anybody. And it will be such a small amount that you won't even notice it is missing. The bike will still pull your arms off. It's got more than enough torque. How many people can actually get full acceleration anyway with that break-your-wrist throttle throw?

And in exchange for that, you get a longer lasting engine, much better highway mpg, a higher top speed, and for some of you, the ability to use first gear again. (I've seen all the comments about people just using 2nd gear and ignoring 1st)

I'm not really seeing a downside to this. I say we all contact this guy and show our interest. Make sure he can justify making and selling these gear sets. I know I'm interested.

https://youtu.be/fLR_oVaWY_Y
post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Jambriwal
Excellent geared up several of my 70 and 80's jap bikes. Made them much better and enjoyable at highway speeds. Let us know if you find out anymore about this work. Would certainly consider if affordable.
Thanks for sharing

Directions ? That's only the Manufacturer's opinion of the way this should be assembled.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
In my opinion, this final drive is exactly as it should be for my needs and riding style.

This is not THE Honda Gold Wing although it is based on it but rather a stripped down version for those who prefer a machine built for lots of various scenarios.

If you are not satisfied, get the Goldwing or the F6B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillPickle311 View Post
In my opinion, this final drive is exactly as it should be for my needs and riding style.

This is not THE Honda Gold Wing although it is based on it but rather a stripped down version for those who prefer a machine built for lots of various scenarios.

If you are not satisfied, get the Goldwing or the F6B.
In other words "Honda made this bike absolutely perfect as is! Every motorcycle is perfect as built by the manufacturer! If this bike isn't exactly what you want, get rid of it and buy a different bike!"

I'm teasing.

But in all seriousness, getting a goldwing or an f6b isn't going to fix this issue. They all have the same engine, tranny, and final drive. They all are screaming at 3400rpms doing 75 on the highway.

Maybe the valkyrie is perfect for you. If I didn't spend so much time on the highway, I wouldn't bother with these gears either. But for me, and a lot of other people, highway riding is the bulk of what we do and we all know that this big 6 cylinder is not meant to run at 3500 to 4000 rpms for hours at a time, over and over. It can do it, and you'll still get 200,000 miles out of your bike, but it will still put unnecessary strain on the engine. Why not lessen the burden? Get 400k or more out of it.

Also, these engines sip fuel up to around 3000rpm and then start guzzling anywhere after that. Below 3k I get mid 40s mpg, after 3k I get mid 30s. I ride 300 miles a week, 95% of it on the highway. I'm not a wealthy man. That savings will add up quickly.

Besides, motorcycles are meant to be modified. It's part of the appeal. On the of chance that I ever run across another valkyrie, I don't want mine to be exactly like it. This one is mine, I made it mine.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurNorock View Post
In other words "Honda made this bike absolutely perfect as is! Every motorcycle is perfect as built by the manufacturer! If this bike isn't exactly what you want, get rid of it and buy a different bike!"

I'm teasing.

But in all seriousness, getting a goldwing or an f6b isn't going to fix this issue. They all have the same engine, tranny, and final drive. They all are screaming at 3400rpms doing 75 on the highway.

Maybe the valkyrie is perfect for you. If I didn't spend so much time on the highway, I wouldn't bother with these gears either. But for me, and a lot of other people, highway riding is the bulk of what we do and we all know that this big 6 cylinder is not meant to run at 3500 to 4000 rpms for hours at a time, over and over. It can do it, and you'll still get 200,000 miles out of your bike, but it will still put unnecessary strain on the engine. Why not lessen the burden? Get 400k or more out of it.

Also, these engines sip fuel up to around 3000rpm and then start guzzling anywhere after that. Below 3k I get mid 40s mpg, after 3k I get mid 30s. I ride 300 miles a week, 95% of it on the highway. I'm not a wealthy man. That savings will add up quickly.

Besides, motorcycles are meant to be modified. It's part of the appeal. On the of chance that I ever run across another valkyrie, I don't want mine to be exactly like it. This one is mine, I made it mine.
I believe one of the most important things I've learned about most motorcycle engines, they are built to scream, run wide open, and especially for the flat 6... last forever.

I did not buy it with the idea I would keep it forever. I'd like to but with the all this crazy tech and engineering ramping up, in just a very few short years, all of us may be jumping on the next great machine and the gl1800 motor could look like a child's toy.

My best friend who can buy just about anything machine he wants, just bought a 2019 Triumph Speedmaster. That thing looks like a blast from the past but it fits him the way he wants.

In the meantime, I am absolutely loving this valk and continuing to learn what it is capable of.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillPickle311 View Post

I believe one of the most important things I've learned about most motorcycle engines, they are built to scream, run wide open, and especially for the flat 6... last forever.

I did not buy it with the idea I would keep it forever. I'd like to but with the all this crazy tech and engineering ramping up, in just a very few short years, all of us may be jumping on the next great machine and the gl1800 motor could look like a child's toy.

My best friend who can buy just about anything machine he wants, just bought a 2019 Triumph Speedmaster. That thing looks like a blast from the past but it fits him the way he wants.

In the meantime, I am absolutely loving this valk and continuing to learn what it is capable of.
Some motorcycles are built for that. Some engines Rev to the moon. Some have all their power after 4k or even after 8k rpm.

But not this one. It is more of a low rpm tractor engine. It is most comfortable with the rpm as low as possible. It has over 100lb/ft of torque just off idle.

Frankly, it was an oversight on Honda's part not to fit these bikes (the entire GL1800 lineup) with a 6 speed tranny, or at the very least, a taller 4th and 5th gear.

They've rectified that mistake with the newest goldwings.

And I actually do plan on keeping this bike forever. It at least until i run it into the ground. I'm 39 years old. I've only had 2 cars and 2 motorcycles my whole life. I use the same smartphone for 6+ years. I'm not the type to go out and buy the next best thing. I don't have the money for that and usually the next best thing isn't significantly better than the last best thing. I wait until the thing I have no longer functions, or the next thing is a vast improvement over what I have.

As far as what the Valk is capable of, I've found the limits of its capability for highway commuting and found it lacking. I have since found a way to remedy this fault without sacrificing too much from other capabilities. That's all this is.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I too think not having taller gearing for interstate riding was an oversight. If they were available and affordable I would have done it already. I plan to hang on to this cruiser for a while. I have a smaller bike in the garage for kicking around so this is mainly for bigger trips far from home. It’s actually hard to believe it isn’t available as aftermarket by now.
Buster likes this.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
As far as what the Valk is capable of, I've found the limits of its capability for highway commuting and found it lacking. I have since found a way to remedy this fault without sacrificing too much from other capabilities. That's all this is.
Again, this is why it is built for me. I am 60 and geared more for relaxed roads-less-traveled riding rather than hitting the slab.

I live among lots of idgit drivers where 2 out 3 have one hand steering and the other texting. I strive to stay away from all vehicles for good reason.

I do understand the financial part as well. I've had 6 bikes before this one and never paid more than 4500 for any of them until this one. I would have a 2019 goldwing if I had the dough. For half the price of a new one, I have the next best thing.

Last edited by DillPickle311; 03-11-2019 at 07:12 PM.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prgrmerror View Post
I too think not having taller gearing for interstate riding was an oversight. If they were available and affordable I would have done it already. I plan to hang on to this cruiser for a while. I have a smaller bike in the garage for kicking around so this is mainly for bigger trips far from home. It’s actually hard to believe it isn’t available as aftermarket by now.
Well I think if enough people show interest, then this guy might start selling them. I'd recommend commenting your interest on the above linked video at the very least.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurNorock View Post
They all have the same engine, tranny, and final drive. They all are screaming at 3400rpms doing 75 on the highway.

Also, these engines sip fuel up to around 3000rpm and then start guzzling anywhere after that. Below 3k I get mid 40s mpg, after 3k I get mid 30s. I ride 300 miles a week, 95% of it on the highway.
After spending 4 full days on the bike, I can't agree with you more. She's an engineering masterpiece, except here in TX where there are 70 - 80 mph speed limits on some of the interstates, she's just BEGGING to be shifted into 6th and revving unnecessarily high and wasting fuel. Yes, on one tank in the Ozarks I spent most of the time under 3000 rpms and got 47.5 mph. Then on the last day, I got only 36 mpg on the interstate. I'm sure a lot of that is due to wind resistance, but the engine is definitely not at it's efficiency sweet spot when it is cruising at close to 4000 rpm.

Did you ever get the parts from the guy? I'm going to give him a call, but would feel even better about it if I had your review.

2nd owner of 2014 Valkyrie

Previous Bikes:
’66 Benelli (Montgomery Wards) 125 cc Riverside
’74 Yamaha Enduro DT360
’74 Honda CB450
’76 Kawasaki KH500
’77 Yamaha RD400
’80 Kawasaki KX250
’71 Honda CB750K1
’82 Yamaha Virago XV750
'95 Honda Magna VF750CD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List