where are correct strapdown points for towing? - Page 2 - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 9Likes

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2020, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have read many places that state you should never put your bikes suspension under load while towing. I’ve always placed straps around the forks in front and a couple on the rear grips just to keep it from moving around. I towed it from L.A California to Toledo Ohio without any issue. I’ll try and add a pic Im fairly new to the forum. Signed up years ago when I bought the bike but haven’t been on but a few times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BCFB2EE5-4071-4F73-847F-66853A24327C_1607445077784.jpeg (100.6 KB, 24 views)
Farther and Buster like this.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2020, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have thought about this in the past and have been looking at a small electric wench to help load the thing.
I have a 2014 Valkyrie, and have not hauled it yet, and hope to never have to. If I do, I plan to use a flat bed trailer, nail a 2x4 on each side of the front tire to keep it from sliding, or use a motorcycle
wheel chock from Harbor Freight. Then strap the crash bars to the front corners of the trailer. Then either tie the rear tire to the rear corners of the trailer or remove the saddle bags and tie to the mounts.
From what I have read, it is not a good idea to compress the shocks for a long trip. But you may have to for short trips. I believe I may loosely put a strap on each side of the handle bars to stabilize it.
There is really not much of a way to strap one of these bikes down without taking parts off to find a place to hook on to.
I'm open for better ideas..
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2020, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I always use a double looped strap on each side of the lower steering triple tree to tie down my bikes but that is not possible with my Valkyrie due to the headlight surround panels. So I tie down by my front engine guards and also back it up with a second tie down spot on the rear footpegs. I have hauled it back and forth to NC from Florida about a dozen times that way with no problem. Now I do have a set of WheelDock chocks on the trailer that helps a lot.
see pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valk tie down.jpg (357.0 KB, 27 views)
Sixshooter and Farther like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2020, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
How wide is your trailer?

Let's Ride
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2020, 08:26 PM

Wide enough to fit 2 flat sixes with footpegs next to each other.
The deck dimensions are 6 ft by 9 ft.
Maximum overall width is 101 inches
fender to fender width (inside) is 84 inches
Width between side rails is 78 inches
530 lbs trailer weight. with my 2 wings it only weighs slightly over 2100 lbs so most vehicles can pull it.
Torsion bar axle so low deck height/center of gravity. 2 ramps and 13 inch allay wheels.
Great for bikes, also will carry two four wheelers
folds in half and stores with tongue up in the air.
Endeavor Powersport Utility trailer-USA Trailer store.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
My trailer is 6x10 and I didn't think two big bikes would fit, so it's good to know that they will, thanks
BobR24 likes this.

Let's Ride
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thumbs up Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR24 View Post
I always use a double looped strap on each side of the lower steering triple tree to tie down my bikes but that is not possible with my Valkyrie due to the headlight surround panels. So I tie down by my front engine guards and also back it up with a second tie down spot on the rear footpegs. I have hauled it back and forth to NC from Florida about a dozen times that way with no problem. Now I do have a set of WheelDock chocks on the trailer that helps a lot.
see pic
That looks like a good method. I like seeing that you double strapped the crash bars and strapping forward to hold the bike into the chock. I was wondering the best method for this bike, as it's different when it comes to towing.
Thanks for the pic it's useful.
BobR24 likes this.

If you can't be a good example, be a WARNING.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
BobR24,
I see you have the black valve cover flip out pegs. That looks nice contrasting the black and aluminum valve cover. I've seen them in chrome, yours looks better. Happy with them? Enough adjustment in them?
Nice looking bikes!! Seems to be popular owning both F6b & F6C

Thanks
BobR24 likes this.

If you can't be a good example, be a WARNING.

Last edited by Sixshooter; 12-11-2020 at 06:14 PM. Reason: typo
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2020, 01:57 PM

thanks, I am a strong believer in redundancy especially when it comes to safety. I use these chocks (https://wheeldock.com.)
They pretty much keep the bike in place but there are some pretty crappy roads out there so I always at least double strap if not triple.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2020, 02:16 PM

I have been very happy with the fold out highway pegs. There is about 3/4 of an inch of forward and back adjustment. I am 6 ft tall but only wear a 30 inch inseam pants so I am all torso and long arms. I put the Corbin Gunfighter seat on that moves me down about an inch and also put some bar backs on the handlebars to move them back and up about 2 inches and I relocated the instrument pod. All of this combines to put me in the perfect position with the fold out pegs for cruising.
I have owned over 140 bikes and these two are perfect for me. My wife has had 5 back surgeries and loves to ride on the F6B with the Corbin saddle and when I want to ride solo I have taken off the grab rails and added the filler panels to my Valkyrie so it is great for that too. I also have lots of other toys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cx jpg.jpg (240.4 KB, 9 views)
Sixshooter likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page