Bluetooth MP3 players and speakers - Page 2 - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 6Likes

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I suppose that's true, but I feel the closer the speakers are to my ears (and in this case they're right ON the ears), the more they isolate noise that is further away. And I just won't risk the exclusionary aspect of in-helmet speakers. Not only does it isolate the exterior noise to a higher degree, I would tend to get lost in the music itself if it's right there in my ears, which would be a major distraction to operating the bike. When I am getting into music, I experience it on a level way beyond what most do. I'm very into audio and I listen to every nuance of a song, imaging every instrument and thinking about the meaning of the lyrics. And if I'm thinking about that stuff, I'm not thinking about the road. It would be most unsafe for me. Essentially, background music works because it's part of the ambient stream of sound. But if I'm listening in the helmet, I'd mentally be in another world. And in the words of George Costanza, "worlds are colliding!".

Richmonder

"There are no motorcycles in a psychiatrist's parking lot."

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder View Post
I suppose that's true, but I feel the closer the speakers are to my ears (and in this case they're right ON the ears), the more they isolate noise that is further away. And I just won't risk the exclusionary aspect of in-helmet speakers. Not only does it isolate the exterior noise to a higher degree, I would tend to get lost in the music itself if it's right there in my ears, which would be a major distraction to operating the bike. When I am getting into music, I experience it on a level way beyond what most do. I'm very into audio and I listen to every nuance of a song, imaging every instrument and thinking about the meaning of the lyrics. And if I'm thinking about that stuff, I'm not thinking about the road. It would be most unsafe for me. Essentially, background music works because it's part of the ambient stream of sound. But if I'm listening in the helmet, I'd mentally be in another world. And in the words of George Costanza, "worlds are colliding!".

Richmonder

I hear ya! I'm the same the way. That said, I have no problem with helmet speakers as they reduce road noise on the freeways, especially if you have a tractor trailer's tires screaming out 120db of road noise. Trust me, I'm with you on safety, but I don't want to loose my hearing from road noise nor do I want to crank my music up to overcome it. And if you're like me, you know what's in the song your listening to and when you hear something that doesn't belong you become alert. Here's what I did for mt Wing's bluetooth helmet. I don't have pics for the Valk's helmet.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Nice setup! I just have never explored helmet speakers and wouldn't know where to start, whether for personal music or for rider-rider communication.

Richmonder

"There are no motorcycles in a psychiatrist's parking lot."

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
I've been sold on helmet speakers for a few years now. I listen to music, which gets interrupted by Waze or Google Maps directions, or by an incoming phone call and then returns to music. VERY cool on a trip or all-day ride, "prepare to take the 2nd lane on the right after the fork in 1 mile" and no more missing important calls, or postponing a ride because I've expecting a call. Callers have been shocked to hear that they are getting that clarity from a motorcycle on the road. Wife doesn't have to worry and wonder anymore, she can just call.

That said, I have an old Sena (10 or 20), and it is difficult to hear anything at highway speed (70-80 mph in TX) when turned up all the way in an Arai full face or Shoei full face. I'd love to see some DB output specs for the new "Sena 50S with HD speakers" similar to what Flatsix recommended, to compare loudness with the Cardo Packtalk Bold that Crabballs recommended. Scottie, you're got to give me more power!

Interesting story from my last Colorado trip, a friend I was riding with had a Bilt helmet and comm system that was apparently on a different frequency as it couldn't pair with my Sena, so we put each other on speed dial and made a phone call ... no distance limitation, but you have to be in an area where you have phone service. Again, hard to understand at highway speed, but we could get each other's attention, then slow down to talk without having to stop next to each other. More than one way to skin a cat!

2nd owner of 2014 Valkyrie

Previous Bikes:
’66 Benelli (Montgomery Wards) 125 cc Riverside
’74 Yamaha Enduro DT360
’74 Honda CB450
’76 Kawasaki KH500
’77 Yamaha RD400
’80 Kawasaki KX250
’71 Honda CB750K1
’82 Yamaha Virago XV750
'95 Honda Magna VF750CD
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I've been sold on helmet speakers for a few years now. I listen to music, which gets interrupted by Waze or Google Maps directions, or by an incoming phone call and then returns to music. VERY cool on a trip or all-day ride, "prepare to take the 2nd lane on the right after the fork in 1 mile" and no more missing important calls, or postponing a ride because I've expecting a call. Callers have been shocked to hear that they are getting that clarity from a motorcycle on the road. Wife doesn't have to worry and wonder anymore, she can just call.

That said, I have an old Sena (10 or 20), and it is difficult to hear anything at highway speed (70-80 mph in TX) when turned up all the way in an Arai full face or Shoei full face. I'd love to see some DB output specs for the new "Sena 50S with HD speakers" similar to what Flatsix recommended, to compare loudness with the Cardo Packtalk Bold that Crabballs recommended. Scottie, you're got to give me more power!

Interesting story from my last Colorado trip, a friend I was riding with had a Bilt helmet and comm system that was apparently on a different frequency as it couldn't pair with my Sena, so we put each other on speed dial and made a phone call ... no distance limitation, but you have to be in an area where you have phone service. Again, hard to understand at highway speed, but we could get each other's attention, then slow down to talk without having to stop next to each other. More than one way to skin a cat!

I really like the Packtalk Bold as it has excellent frequency response, but the supplied JBL speakers aren't the greatest. When I built the helmet speaker system you see in the pics it eliminates 80% of the road noise, but the best part is you hear everything around you while enjoying the music at a lower level. I used a set of 40mm drivers from a broken set of Bose headphones. Worse thing you can do is turn the volume up extremely high to overcome road noise. Yes, I can listen to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and Rush's 2112 at 80MPH.
Buster likes this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 12:23 AM
SLO

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I bought the Pactalk Bold with the JBL speakers, then later spring for the updated and larger JBL speakers, moving them to sit on the the very flap over the recess that was meant to hold them. This brought them closer to my ears and made all the difference in the world.

What some people responding here have not said is the Pactalk Bold, as well as others, lowers the volume based on external noise. So when I am stopped at a light the music volume is right where it needs to be so I can hear the engine idling in the car next to me. As the road speed increases, the headset volume also increases so you can still hear the music. Once you have the volume set where you like it you can still hear what is happening around you. Unless you max everything.
I have found that it works extremely well.
And this is coming from a person that didn't "want' music to interfere with the joy of the ride. We live and learn.
gonichi87 likes this.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Man I'm just a cheap ass and throw my Bluetooth ear buds in and listen to music from my phone while riding. When I had both of my baggers, Harley Street Glide and a Victory Cross Country, I upgraded the speakers and listened to music all the time at any speed. But you guys are making me seriously look at the helmet speaker set up.
mudbugntx likes this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Great advice from everyone. Now just have to decide which approach to use.

Current:

2014 Honda F6C Valkyrie

Past:
1996 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I used to use earbuds and at one point also had a helmet system. However, I really dislike the loss of auditory feedback from the outside world. Most times I am on deserted country roads, but if I hit a highway I want all my senses unimpeded. I paid too much, but do not regret, getting a Steel Horse Audio system. It is pricey. But I did my research on the smallest, least obtrusive, yet still performative, system. I can hear, on two tweeters, all the way up to 80 mph and beyond with a full helmet on. It is loud enough. I got it because distortion is minimal at high volumes. Obviously, bass won't be there for tweeters, but I do not regret the purchase. It looks good mounted as well. Chrome matches and the bluetooth controller on left handlebar is convenient. Also, the amp has a usb port for phone charging for longer rides. I play guitar on the side, and though I often prefer silence, I also like the option of a song sometimes. The speakers have, to my decent ear, a solid playback. No, it doesn't compete with a four speaker setup and subwoofer, but it holds its own for what it is.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2020, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Talking Boss MCBK420B Bluetooth Speaker and Amplifier System

I ended up going with the Boss MCBK420B Bluetooth Speaker and Amplifier System. I spoke to some friends who have them installed and love them. So far, I am liking them. Now I did not install these with the intent of hearing them at speeds over 70 mph on the highway. My outside world is shut enough since I never ride without a helmet, so I opted for this instead of in helmet ones. Just personal preference for me. The amp is tucked away neatly inside the fuse box area under the seat. There is a smaller opening in the fuse box area above the tool compartment which I believe is for storing the owners manual. I had to take the tank bolts out and lift the tank slightly to get the amp to drop in. I then used a sheet of the packing foam that came wrapped around the amp to keep it from bouncing around. I plugged the fuse assembly which came with the system into the accessory plug located under the main seat for power on/off. This gives me 12 volts when the key is turned to the on position and also gives me 12 volts when the key is set to the accessory position. I did not have to splice into any wiring or use a relay or an ugly toggle switch. Here are a few pics of the setup. I did not take any under the seat. I will have to remove the seat and take those later. I would recommend them to anyone else looking for a handlebar setup with Bluetooth. The system also has a line in that you can plug a mic jack into and run sound from an iPod or an MP3 player. I had a 4 foot aux line that I ran underneath the tank and up to the handlebars so I can attach my iPod if I choose to.

Pros:
1. Relatively easy to install.
2. Waterproof
3. Plenty loud enough for me.
4. I like the satin black rubberized finish.

Cons:
1. I am not fond of the handlebar clamps. The design fits more like an oblong circle than a C-Clamp. (I may swap this out to something better at some point).
2. The included rubber for the handle bars came in two sizes. Small is what fit and it was just barely big enough. The large was way too big for these bars. (Of course I know they are catering to a one size fits all type thing).
3. The manual was 2 pages and very simplistic. It did show you how to wire it properly with a relay if you chose to. (I wired in the whole thing without even using the manual).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FCOM1189.jpg (144.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg NGEW2162.jpg (117.8 KB, 9 views)

Current:

2014 Honda F6C Valkyrie

Past:
1996 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe

Last edited by mudbugntx; 11-08-2020 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page