First real ride today - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
First real ride today

Went to meet a friend of mine for lunch today and he was dying to see the Valk, so I suited up and rode to his place. Mostly interstate riding so I got to open 'er up a bit. All the way to the speed limit of 70, the bike just cruised effortlessly. Felt like 45. Seems like whatever speed you're going, it's faster than it feels. My friend was blown away when he saw it. I was soaked in sweat from the black gear and the 90 degree heat and humidity. After lunch, I was cruising down the interstate and on my left, a Gold Wing Valk was merging. I don't think he even saw me. I tried to catch up to him but traffic wasn't cooperating, and off he went. I was trapped in my lane.

This evening as the sun was setting, I was setting out to go take a few pics by the river near me as I do with every new bike I get, and a guy in my neighborhood was riding by on a brand new Honda Monkey 125! He did a double take and pulled in my driveway, and said "Is THAT a VALKYRIE?". He couldn't believe he was seeing one in the wild, much less in the neighborhood. We stopped and chatted about our bikes a good while and I made a new friend.

I took off and rode down to the river, and it's very scenic down there. A great place to take a few shots. So here they are. Hope they come out aligned properly (and if they don't, can the moderator help? I am having fits trying to get my images to load on here properly despite them looking aligned on my computer).

Richmonder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0702202003a_HDR.jpg (370.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 0702202006_HDR.jpg (301.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 0702202008a_HDR.jpg (306.1 KB, 41 views)
Smitty79 likes this.

"There are no motorcycles in a psychiatrist's parking lot."

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Beast - especially that middle shot. You just need to get that sticker off the tank now. I used a hair dryer and an old credit card (as a scraper). Congratulations and may your rides be many
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I notice most guys take the stickers off, but I'm afraid of damaging the finish. I don't like them, but I need to work up the courage. If I marred that paint I'd be most unhappy with myself.

Richmonder

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder View Post
Thanks! I notice most guys take the stickers off, but I'm afraid of damaging the finish. I don't like them, but I need to work up the courage. If I marred that paint I'd be most unhappy with myself.

Richmonder
Slow and steady with a hair dryer + plastic scraper = safe. That paint is tough stuff. Take more than that to hurt it. You'll probably have a bit of glue residue to clean off afterwards. I just use turps (don't know what you call it there). Easy and no blemishing. Leaving ugly stickers on coz you're worried about ugly paint is an oxymoron.

Last edited by Geepers; 07-03-2020 at 09:11 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Wow VA inspection stickers are HUGE these days... are they that big on the cars??
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

You've inspired me to get those stickers off. They are ugly and must be removed! And yes, those stickers are huge so the police can easily read them from afar. Car stickers look just like them.

Richmonder

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Yeah - get rid of the sticker with a hair dryer. I used my fingernail and got it off with no scratches. I would be mindful about that battery tender though. If it moves at all, it will scratch your paint.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

I'll get on it. I've seen several vids say you need to use some sort of solvent on the adhesive to get it off. Some say turpentine, others say plain old alcohol and I've even seen some use WD-40. I guess anything in that list would work. I'll probably start with WD40 since it's likely to be least destructive to paint.

On that battery tender, I note there is a little piece of plastic screwed in to the side cover over the battery. It appears to block that opening so air doesn't get through. I was thinking I could unscrew that backing piece and just let the tender hang through there, and keep it short by using a zip tie on the rest of the cord. Thoughts? I want easy access to the tender but don't want it damaging anything in the wind.

Richmonder

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 03:44 AM

WD40 works .... just a lot slower. Let it soak for a while.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder View Post
I'll get on it. I've seen several vids say you need to use some sort of solvent on the adhesive to get it off. Some say turpentine, others say plain old alcohol and I've even seen some use WD-40. I guess anything in that list would work. I'll probably start with WD40 since it's likely to be least destructive to paint.

On that battery tender, I note there is a little piece of plastic screwed in to the side cover over the battery. It appears to block that opening so air doesn't get through. I was thinking I could unscrew that backing piece and just let the tender hang through there, and keep it short by using a zip tie on the rest of the cord. Thoughts? I want easy access to the tender but don't want it damaging anything in the wind.

Richmonder
Nice pics!!! That battery tender cable by the side cover, I put an SAE to SAE connector extension wire on mine, ran it up and zip tied to the handlebars, so VERY easy to plug in for charging, or I plug a small Volt meter with SAE connector on one side and 2 high-speed USB ports on the other side to power phone for music and navigation and calls from the Bluetooth helmet. A friend and I were speed dialing each other on the road in Colorado, helmet to helmet phone connection was pretty cool when there wasn't a lot of wind noise.

2nd owner of 2014 Valkyrie

Previous Bikes:
66 Benelli (Montgomery Wards) 125 cc Riverside
74 Yamaha Enduro DT360
74 Honda CB450
76 Kawasaki KH500
77 Yamaha RD400
80 Kawasaki KX250
71 Honda CB750K1
82 Yamaha Virago XV750
'95 Honda Magna VF750CD

Last edited by Buster; 07-05-2020 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added a thought

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page