DMV follies - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
DMV follies

Having just bought my Valk, it came with a temporary tag valid through 7/20/20. Law abiding citizen that I am, I endeavored to get a plate and title for it ASAP.

I first went to the DMV site, and was made aware that all in-person visits (which is required for a new title and plate) require an appointment. I figured this would be easy given the number of staff they have and how many they can handle during the day. How wrong I was. They're booked SOLID until August 20! So how is one to get a valid title, registration and plate within the prescribed time if one can't even get an appointment until a month later?! Want to call them? Hah! I called the customer service number repeatedly and was told each time that "all 235 lines are occupied, and we are unable to assist you at this time". Seriously... Email? Forget it.

I didn't know what to do. I even toyed with pulling a plate off one of my other bikes if necessary. I decided since I had a free afternoon, I'd go down there and talk to them. Heck, maybe someone would cancel an appointment coincidentally. I drove 10 miles to my nearest DMV. There's a guard at the entrance whose immediate bark is "Do you have an appointment?". I said no, but I needed to get a plate before 7/20 and didn't know what to do. She said right now they are giving you an extra 60 days on temporary tags, so I'm fine. OK, THAT would have been good to know before coming all this way...

So then she says, "OR, you can walk in without an appointment at any of these DMV Select locations", pointing at a sign in front of her. The two closest ones were each at least 35 miles away or more. I sure didn't see that option on the web site either, or I would have gone directly there and saved myself a good hour.

So, I took off for the closest one. My GPS took me on all kinds of rural country roads that wound through endless miles of unfamiliar and undeveloped territory with minimal signage. Finally it said I had arrived, and there was no DMV in sight anywhere. I asked for directions and was told to go back 4 miles. Lovely.

So I drove back and found it, in the same building as the county courthouse. Every available parking spot was either reserved or handicapped only. People are driving around in circles, blocking ingress and egress, trying to get a spot. The line is out the door, naturally. I finally got parked and joined the line. You weren't permitted to go in until instructed and it was 90 degrees out, with storm clouds gathering and lightning bolts shooting down. I decided to go in and see what was what. I told the lady at the desk what I was there for and she obligingly gave me paperwork to complete while I waited. By now it is 3:00. I completed my paperwork, gave it back to her, and watched her as she attended to every other poor schmuck in line, while my documents sat there on her desk. I had to give her my credit card for payment, and she couldn't even tell me what the charge would be. I guess you can either afford it, or you can't, and if you have to ask...

I watched as she took her sweet time walking back to the office with my documents. No hustle in her step or demeanor. You have to wait? Awww. Too bad. By now, it's 4:00, and I'm watching people leaving who came in after me. I can't believe how long it's taking to get a plate on a transaction with zero "snags". No lien, documents fully completed and at the ready. I watched as people who had NO idea how the process worked asked question after question, slowing these people down. It's absolutely exasperating.

Finally at 5:00 they came out with my plate, registration and title, my credit card, and a receipt for $365, thank you very much. Again, there was no prior indication what the charge would be, just the nice surprise at the end. And I didn't even get a Thank You from the lady who handed me my papers after waiting two hours. They must truly be miserable in there. I would have had to wait the duration out in 90 degree heat, but because they saw the storm approaching, they made an "exception" to the COVID rules and let us all wait inside. So, there's that. I took off and made the 35 mile drive home.

I got home and affixed the new plate to the bike, so now all the legalities are out of the way.

A truly fun day dealing with the DMV. As always. It's no wonder they have armed guards there. That place could certainly drive someone to their wits' end.

Richmonder

"There are no motorcycles in a psychiatrist's parking lot."

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder View Post
A truly fun day dealing with the DMV. As always. It's no wonder they have armed guards there. That place could certainly drive someone to their wits' end.

Richmonder

Glad you got it done! I get a knot in my stomach when I have to deal with the DMV. The good thing is you got the Valk, it's all yours and you have many years of happiness ahead with it. Just remember to never be too happy as some [email protected] will want to spoil it. Stay safe and enjoy!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Now its time to ride!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
OMG!

I'm just in a frenzy!

I cold not believe the total mess you had to deal with and even the price at the end. What the?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
They get ya. That's the sales tax plus the registration fee. You wanna play, you gotta pay.

Richmonder

"There are no motorcycles in a psychiatrist's parking lot."

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Armed guards at the DMV...oh dear 'murrica, what have you become...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geepers View Post
Armed guards at the DMV...oh dear 'murrica, what have you become...
"Great Again"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgill View Post
"Great Again"
Bwahahahaha!! Love it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page