Accessories on handlebars - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Accessories on handlebars

It's 90+ degrees, humid and sunny here in Richmond today, and pretty inhospitable to work on a bike outdoors, but I had things to do. Got the bike inspected today, and my neighborhood mechanic came out to give it a quick glance before signing off, and said "WHOA!!! WHAT is THAT?!" So we went through the bike and he was pretty impressed. He was kind enough to ask me where I wanted the sticker, and since I have no bolt-on plate, I had to go with the fork tube (ARGH!). Broke my heart to slop up the bike with that, but what can you do. He suggested a plate, and I told him technically they're not legal because they can be removed and put on another bike. He said "good point".

Then I decided it was time to move some accessories from the CTX to the Valk. I have a RAM phone mount, a RAM cup holder, and the power port to put on. Being used to much longer bars on the CTX, I was stunned at how little bar space there is on the Valk. Not many permutations will work with that many gadgets. So I started with the phone mount. I removed it from the CTX. What a pain. The U-bolt screws are longer than they need to be and finely threaded, and without an extended socket (which I do not have), you can only use a socket so far before the socket won't reach the nut anymore, and then you have to use a Crescent wrench. What should take 3 minutes ended up taking 15 just to remove it from the other bike.

Then I had to make difficult decisions. With the windshield in place, there is already a great deal of handlebar room taken up with those mounts, leaving minimal space for the rest. Then we have the cable clips that are attached in the front. So it's either between the cable clips and the windshield mount, or the windshield mount and the instrument panel. I decided to place it between the windshield mount and the panel. It is VERY tight in there, and the RAM mount does not seat flatly, But I did what I had to do. Then I had to position the double ball grip so that the X-grip feet of the phone mount didn't hit the windshield mounts. I finally found a suitable configuration and got it on. I'm not 100% happy but close. This all took the better part of an hour. Just try to maneuver a small Crescent wrench underneath that windshield, and in between all that hardware! NOTHING is ever easy!

I guess now I'll mount the cup holder on the right bar, and the power port on the left of the phone next to the clutch hydraulic box. Does this sound doable and advisable? How do you guys have your phone mounts for those that have them?

Richmonder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0630201918_HDR.jpg (210.2 KB, 72 views)

"There are no motorcycles in a psychiatrist's parking lot."

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 08:28 PM

Garage
Yes, it's tight - I too have the power port attached (with electrical tape for now) on the left of the phone next to the clutch hydraulic box. I don't have a cup holder as it doesn't work well with a fullface helmet.

2nd owner of 2014 Valkyrie

Previous Bikes:
66 Benelli (Montgomery Wards) 125 cc Riverside
74 Yamaha Enduro DT360
74 Honda CB450
76 Kawasaki KH500
77 Yamaha RD400
80 Kawasaki KX250
71 Honda CB750K1
82 Yamaha Virago XV750
'95 Honda Magna VF750CD
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Same here. I hard wired the GPS straight to the battery and with the shield mount, there is not much room, I ended up grinding off the tabs that hold the wire loops so they could be moved around and used black zip ties to secure them.

You are correct. Not a lot of room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Good call on that move, Old Guy. I'm always reluctant to tamper with stock assemblies. Not being mechanically inclined, I usually end up messing something up. And grinding would be something I'd be afraid to do for fear of damaging the finish on the bars.

Richmonder

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Last edited by Richmonder; 07-01-2020 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 07:06 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Yes, it's tight - I too have the power port attached (with electrical tape for now) on the left of the phone next to the clutch hydraulic box. I don't have a cup holder as it doesn't work well with a fullface helmet.
Where did you tap into for power. Somewhere up front or did you take things apart to go to the battery?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

I finally had a nice weather day here amd after getting a ride in, I thought I'd see about mounting my power port, amd I must say I am befuddled. There is absolutely nowhere, left or right, to mount the power port in a visible position, now that the windshield and phone mount are mounted on the bars. It is going to take some real creativity to get it on there. As I said, nothing is ever easy!!

But, its3 a beautiful night with an almost full moon, and I'm out grabbing dinner to break up a nice ride around town. Nice and cool out for the first time on months.

Richmonder

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder View Post
I finally had a nice weather day here amd after getting a ride in, I thought I'd see about mounting my power port, amd I must say I am befuddled. There is absolutely nowhere, left or right, to mount the power port in a visible position, now that the windshield and phone mount are mounted on the bars. It is going to take some real creativity to get it on there. As I said, nothing is ever easy!!

But, its3 a beautiful night with an almost full moon, and I'm out grabbing dinner to break up a nice ride around town. Nice and cool out for the first time on months.

Richmonder

Plenty of room on the handlebars. Here's some old pictures of what I did. On my left I have my Kenwood V71a amateur radio. I got the 1" clamp mount, actually two of them on eBay very cheap, and made my mount for the control head with that as the base. On the right I am temporarily using an Otterbox holster for my Note 9. I don't have a picture of that. I will be upgrading to a wireless fast charger permanently mounted once I build the cradle. I hate plugging in the USB cable every time I get on the bike. I even put bluetooth on the bike, which is hidden. The phone connects automatically when the bike starts. All audio goes through a wired helmet system so all I do is just plug the helmet cable into the bike. It's simple, clean, and seamlessly integrated.

There's plenty of options that are only limited by one's creativity.

rkroden likes this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

I like what you did with everything! The issue with this bike is that 50% of the available space on the bar is angled around the dash, and none of that space is useful for mounting anything. So that leaves an inch or two left or right of the hydraulic boxes, which basically is enough for one mount on each side (excluding the windshield). Unfortunately I am not a creative person and am not very mechanically inclined, so I wouldn't know where to start. I don't know anyone who has the skill and know-how to create anything custom for me. I guess I'll eventually figure something out! I envy you guys who have fab and creative skills like that.

Richmonder

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder View Post
I like what you did with everything! The issue with this bike is that 50% of the available space on the bar is angled around the dash, and none of that space is useful for mounting anything. So that leaves an inch or two left or right of the hydraulic boxes, which basically is enough for one mount on each side (excluding the windshield). Unfortunately I am not a creative person and am not very mechanically inclined, so I wouldn't know where to start. I don't know anyone who has the skill and know-how to create anything custom for me. I guess I'll eventually figure something out! I envy you guys who have fab and creative skills like that.

Richmonder

Not sure what all you want to put on the handlebars? A good smart phone is a must. I use mine for navigation and entertainment while on the road. We got two good spots on the bars that flow nicely for operations and are aesthetically acceptable. A USB port can be put anywhere on the bars, I actually have two UBS cables ran to the right side, a USB-C and MICRO-USB so I can run new or old style phones. That will go away once I install my wireless fast charger. I will put a standard USB socket up there for future use. I have no need for a 12v accessory socket up there. I might put one on the cowl where I have my helmet jack, but I really don't need one. I don't believe in using radar detectors, never owned one and never will. Good luck. Shoot me a PM if you need any help with something.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Here's what I did.

Let's Ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page