Accessories on handlebars - Page 3 - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 4Likes

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Rich, what power port was that you used?

Current:

2014 Honda F6C Valkyrie

Past:
1996 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
LOL, I didn't know you were asking me. "Richmonder" just refers to the fact that I live in Richmond. I'm Craig.

Anyway, here's the one I bought:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Dual-US...kAAOSwMglfFYJk

It has a cigarette lighter plug, a voltage readout, two USB ports and an on/off switch to prevent battery drainage. And it comes with both the U-mount for the bars and the T-bar for mounting like I did.

There are numerous options on Ebay, so do some looking. They're not expensive, but be sure to get what you want.

Richmonder

"There are no motorcycles in a psychiatrist's parking lot."

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 08:03 PM

Neat job Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Gents, today was the day! On my project list, I've had "Power Port" staring at me for weeks on end. I was able to procrastinate all summer with the excuse it was too hot. I could do so no longer. After struggling to get the thing mounted securely a week ago, I made it my mission today to get the thing wired. I knew it would not be easy, since I'm not mechanically inclined and never seem to have the tools I need.

I took my screwdriver and a straightened coat hanger along with three black zip ties out to the garage, naively hoping that was all I needed. I wrapped one zip tie around the top of the triple tree and secured the wire there first, and cut off the excess of the tie. That tucked it away from obvious view, and I left enough slack to make sure the wire could extend as far as needed with the bar turned all the way. I then opened the frame-mounted clamp that holds a couple of cables to the frame and routed the power cord through that clamp and reconnected it. Then I routed the coat hanger underneath the tank and pulled the power cord through. No snags, thankfully.

I THOUGHT I had plenty of wire from the port to the battery, but once it was routed, I discovered I was about a quarter inch short of reaching the terminals. UNBELIEVABLE. A QUARTER INCH. I was sitting there in utter disbelief. I suppose I could have gone to the trouble of cutting and crimping an extension to make it simple, but instead I just cocked the port a quarter inch more, and pulled the wire that much further to where it precisely met the battery terminals. You'd think these manufacturers would supply at least an extra foot or so! I then zip tied the wire to a mount underneath the left side panel to hold it tight to the frame and keep any tension off the terminals.

Now I have the terminals ready to attach to the battery. That should have been incredibly easy. But, no, the seat had to come off to get to the rear terminal. Terrible design. So, I got my first lesson in seat removal today. Talk about a PAIN in the butt! FOUR tightly screwed hex bolts located under the seats, and having to pry the seat cushion back to get to them on both seats. Sorry, but another terrible design. I remember bikes that had two levers and the seat just popped off, no tools required! I HATE hex keys. They're cumbersome and they tear your fingers up, and they're slow to use.

Finally got the seat off, and cleaned up all the paint and any other dirty areas under the seats. Removed the battery screws and inserted the port terminals, and the voltmeter instantly showed 12.5 volts. YES! So I clicked off the port switch, and the voltmeter shut off. I reinstalled the left side panel, and set out to reinstall the seat. It went back on a lot more easily than it came off, thankfully.

So my power port project is complete. What should have been a 20 minute job turned into 2 hours. I'm pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty proud (a little inside joke for Q from his vlog) of myself being able to do this, considering my limited tool kit and talents.

I'm curious - on the inside of both left and right side panels, there's a tiny imprinted grid that runs from 1-12 on top, and from 13-20 on the side, with little squares throughout the grid. Anybody know what that's for? It can barely be seen with the naked eye. And, on the inside of the left side panel, there's a small piece that can be unscrewed from the panel which if unscrewed, opens up a small oval hole in the panel. What is the purpose of the inside piece and that hole? Pigtails? My pigtail is unfortunately so big, it won't fit through it. But others would.

Here's a pic of the finished project (for some reason this site rotates what otherwise is a correctly aligned image). Next up, saddlebags!

Richmonder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0922201741.jpg (197.2 KB, 16 views)

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 11:18 PM

Alright!!! Now the saddlebags! And luggage rack!!!
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

They're literally sitting right in front of me, out of the boxes, and saying "INSTALL ME NOW!"

The video that shows how to install them lacks a lot of detail. Since there apparently are no instructions with them, I'm worried I won't know what bolt to use where. And he seems to imply that the brackets and the stays should be connected before, rather than after, installing them. And I wish I'd been thinking yesterday - when I had the seat off, I could have saved that step. I realize having a hex key that fits in a power screwdriver would be one nice thing to have!

In the midst of all this, I had a sump pump die after 9 years of service in my crawl space last week, so I had to get on my hands and knees on the gravel bed and remove that. The manufacturer is sending me a replacement unit, so I still have to finish that job, and it takes priority as I can't have a lake under the house. My body is killing me after all the bending and walking on my knees in gravel.

Not enough hours in the day! But when I get them on, you'll be the first to see the pic!

Richmonder

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
You are putting saddlebags and luggage rack on your handlebars? Now, those pics I definitely want to see.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmo View Post
You are putting saddlebags and luggage rack on your handlebars? Now, those pics I definitely want to see.

Don't laugh, the Valk with the windshield has plenty of space. I've carried two large bunches of bananas from the store to home without incident.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 06:54 PM

Look at how much fun it is to put the Corbin Bags on!!! You have to take the fender off!! I looked at all that and had the dealer do it... took just under 2 hours I asked the service writer if the wrench was ticked... and he said I have seen him in a better mood

https://www.corbin.com/honda/install_h-v14-bag.pdf

Last edited by Flat Six; 09-24-2020 at 06:59 PM.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabballs View Post
...... I've carried two large bunches of bananas from the store to home without incident.
Perchance you used ape hangers for that feat?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page