post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Power port

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLLOU View Post
Where did you tap into for power. Somewhere up front or did you take things apart to go to the battery?
I would say if you want it "switched" use the power port connection under the seat. You can buy a matching plug type or go the fast route like I did & use posi taps & cut off the factory plug.If youv'e never used them you'll be surprised just how well they work.....
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Wow! That is about as tight as it gets. Is your power port mounted on the horizontal part of the bar, or the angled part? My X-grip phone mount is where your GPS is, and if I put the port next to that, I don't think the X-grip will work. I may have to look at the configuration and see what I can do. I bet that install was fun trying to get everything in positions that would fit.

Richmonder

"There are no motorcycles in a psychiatrist's parking lot."

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Hot Rod, my power port has an on/off switch on it, which was one reason I chose the unit. Those are nice connectors!

Richmonder
Hot Rod likes this.

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 11:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder View Post
Hot Rod, my power port has an on/off switch on it, which was one reason I chose the unit. Those are nice connectors!

Richmonder
That would be cool (switch) .... This is the first bike I've not put in a "fuse panel " for accessories..... Things have changed. I was ALWAYS a big believer in front lights,even more so with the arrival of LED lighting. I can honestly see the difference of reaction as far as being seen. When the front lights were halogen they drew too much power but now not so,cell phone very little as GPS also... On this bike kind of ironic that we have a bigger battery & probably the biggest alternator on a production bike with very little need... What always got me started was the front lights ..... first thing on my fuse panel..... No need on the valk, connectors already there. Add up the draw of everything else & that connector under the seat will easily handle it.....
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
That would be cool (switch) .... This is the first bike I've not put in a "fuse panel " for accessories..... Things have changed. I was ALWAYS a big believer in front lights,even more so with the arrival of LED lighting. I can honestly see the difference of reaction as far as being seen. When the front lights were halogen they drew too much power but now not so,cell phone very little as GPS also... On this bike kind of ironic that we have a bigger battery & probably the biggest alternator on a production bike with very little need... What always got me started was the front lights ..... first thing on my fuse panel..... No need on the valk, connectors already there. Add up the draw of everything else & that connector under the seat will easily handle it.....

I love having that big battery and alternator as my amateur radio puts out 50 watts and neither the battery or alternator even flinch after prolong use.
Hot Rod likes this.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 01:41 PM

Garage
Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabballs View Post
I love having that big battery and alternator as my amateur radio puts out 50 watts and neither the battery or alternator even flinch after prolong use.

I'll bet you do .... ... KE4NWI here ,Got a dual band Yaesu in my Jeep,never considered one on bike. That is just cool. I may put a fuse panel on mine yet,I would use a relay & trip it with the power outlet wire I'm using now,be nice to have constant power to charge a dead cell phone in saddlebag .....
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I fitted a couple of 4 inch spotlights, heated grips controller, a GPS, a SPOT satellite tracker and a flashlight to shine straight down into the fuel tank filler neck for night time fill ups from the jerry can (seen in the left mirror).
The screen is from a Yamaha FJR1300 mounted using the Honda Boulevard screen mounts.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

OK, I don't even know how to respond to that one! I can't imagine how you did all that. You sure have some bling on that bike! Y'all are making me feel really stupid.

Richmonder

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
A little late to the party, but I am using this for accessories.
Solid state, no fuses can program outputs to be switched, always on or timed. New tech

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...gaAraxEALw_wcB
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

My power port has been staring at me from my desktop for several weeks. But it's been too hot to fool with anything on the bike until now. Sorry, I just don't like the heat. So today, now that it finally cooled off a bit, I decided I was going to figure out a way to mount the port. As I said previously, I didn't like the logistics of any spot on the bars. As I was sizing up the situation, I came up with an idea. The port not only came with a U-shaped bar mount, but also a flat "T" bar that extends beyond the body of the port for mounting (I assume) on a rear view mirror or other bolt.

I decided to see what I could do with the T bar on another bolt somewhere instead of the U-shaped handlebar mount. It wouldn't work on the rear view mirrors. So I thought, why not use the windshield mount bolts for double duty! I was able to locate a hex bit that fit the underside of the windshield mounting bolt, but of COURSE there are clutch and wiring cables DIRECTLY underneath that, so I couldn't use a bit driver. I ended up having to use vise grips with the bit angled at 90 degrees to hold the bolt in place while I turned the nut on top about 5 degrees each turn, again due to limited space to work.

The hole in the T bar was just a little too large for the supplied windshield mounting nut to seat on, so I grabbed one of two spare washers I had in my hardware jar. And, of course, its center hole was just a hair too small for the bolt. So then I had to drill out the hole, gripping the washer with my vise grips and holding it flat against a slab of wood. The torque of the bit was enough to twist the washer in the vise grips and I had to re-grip several times. Once drilled out, I was able to place it under the nut and it worked perfectly to secure the port on the mount. You can see the spare washer in the photo.

Now the port is mounted, and although it isn't straight forward and backward, it's useable at that angle. And it's nice and close to the phone mount. I still have to wire it, but after spending an hour on this mount, I'm fried and at the end of my patience. I am certain routing that wire under the tank to the battery is going to be a treat as well.

Nothing is ever easy, especially when you don't have the proper tools or ingenuity to do things properly!

Richmonder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0915201429_HDR.jpg (163.8 KB, 13 views)
Flat Six likes this.

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Last edited by Richmonder; 09-15-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page