Tire age - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Tire age

I was at my dentist this morning. He's a former Rune owner. I told him I was getting a Valkyrie, and he said I better think about new tires since, even though it only has 100 miles on it, they are probably dry rotted.

I hadn't even considered this possibility. Do you guys think I can get by for awhile, or should they be replaced? My CTX is also a 2014 and I see no sign of dry rot on its tires.

Guess I'll inspect them on arrival and go from there.

Richmonder

"There are no motorcycles in a psychiatrist's parking lot."

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Probably not an issue most all of these bike sat in a crate until 2 years ago when Honda released them into the wild... back then the tires looked fine and still are good... although gotta say, they have been on the planet 6 to 7 years now
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
I've read multiple authorities claim that over years, the compounds get more stiff, less sticky if you will, and that over 5 years is beginning to significantly inpact the tire's performance. Perhaps that magical 5 year period is extended if the tires have been shrink wrapped in a climate-controlled warehouse for 3 of those years, perhaps not. I HAVE seen 2 front tires show signs of dry rot even though there was plenty of tread left, and the first time that happened was a Magna I bought, and it failed inspection because of that. So at a minimum, keep a very close eye on them and then consider changing them a little earlier than you normally would, especially after you get comfortable enough that you're applying agressive force (braking or centrifugal) on them, or going on an out of state trip where an emergency replacement can run you $300+ for a brand that you're never choose but that's all they have at the nearest shop...

On that note, I absolutely hate the stock Dunlop front tire with the straight groove running up the center of the tread, as it really tracks with any grooves on the road, tar snakes or bridge grates. If I wanted the handlebars to come to life like that, I'd ride a Hardley. I was happy to replace that stock front tie before a trip even though it had plenty of tread left...

Good luck!!!

2nd owner of 2014 Valkyrie

Previous Bikes:
66 Benelli (Montgomery Wards) 125 cc Riverside
74 Yamaha Enduro DT360
74 Honda CB450
76 Kawasaki KH500
77 Yamaha RD400
80 Kawasaki KX250
71 Honda CB750K1
82 Yamaha Virago XV750
'95 Honda Magna VF750CD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 11:43 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Bought mine new last year and have been literally sliding the front tire on curves. 6500 miles and front tire was worn badly on the left side. Replaced with a 120-70-19 and feels soo much better. I wish I would of done it when I first got it. Original back tire still has about half thread but doesn't have the issues near as bad as the front did.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Wow. Is that literally all we can expect from the stock tire? I know there aren't many options for tires on this bike.

Richmonder

"There are no motorcycles in a psychiatrist's parking lot."

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder View Post
Wow. Is that literally all we can expect from the stock tire?

Richmonder
I have 26,500km on my second set of OEM Dunlops and they still looking fine. Changed the original set at 20,000km and they had plenty left - should have kept 'em longer. I keep the pressures up (one PSI above recommended, checked daily) and we don't have concrete roads here ('smooth' asphalt). The way the current tyres are looking I reckon I'll get 30,000km out of them. Keeping the tyres firm is key IMO...soft tyres flex more, heat up more, wear more.

Last edited by Geepers; 06-17-2020 at 03:14 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the Avon AV71 (120/70ZR-19) at the front. It's been 16k miles, looks like new. But don't ever get the AV80 for the rear, check my previous posts for more info.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I have 2015 (2 years old) and I'm still running the factory tires I have 7000 miles on them and they still look good.

Let's Ride
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 05:25 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just got back from a 2,500 mile road trip to Arkansas. Rear tire is now gone on the left side at 9,000 miles. Going to replace with something different. Was thinking something a little narrower and taller like did with the front.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page