Tires... - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tires...

Another question about tires... it was recommended from a dealer here and I’m not sure so any opinions/ advice would help. Front: Commander 3 130/60B19. Rear: Michelin road 4 GT 180/55/ZR17.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I love the Pilot 4 on the rear. As for the Commander 3, I ran one on the back until a nail came along. It looked worn for not many miles----then I read that they are made for sport bikes and not heavy cruisers. Check the weight rating and use your judgement. They are a fine tire.

What ever you do, I would avoid the Marathon 888 from Metzler. Waste of my money. Replaced them before 1000 miles.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
I love the Pilot 4 on the rear. As for the Commander 3, I ran one on the back until a nail came along. It looked worn for not many miles----then I read that they are made for sport bikes and not heavy cruisers. Check the weight rating and use your judgement. They are a fine tire.

What ever you do, I would avoid the Marathon 888 from Metzler. Waste of my money. Replaced them before 1000 miles.
Definitely avoid the Metzler 888s. I found them to be too slick in addition to poor tread life. I went with Commander IIs and have been happy with them.

2015 Valkyrie; 2004 V-Star 1100, 1997 Goldwing Aspencade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Good morning:
I would like to follow up and solicit advice. I know there are many threads (some rather old) that deal with the topic. However, in terms of mainstream (decent performance, decent miles, decent price) appeal, what is a good front tire? I am not seeking to max performance or miles; nor am I trying to buy the cheapest or most disposable. My stock tire is about done in the front, and so this is my first replacement. Thoughts? Thanks.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyou36 View Post
My stock tire is about done in the front...
How many miles?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
6100. I just got the bike in March. I was rather disappointed, but I live in a rural, flat area, with lots of straight roads. The sides of my tires are full treads, but the middle is done. That's why I am going to order some this week. Plus she's due for an oil change. The lack of even wear will be a problem for any tire in my area (great roads to cruise on, but no twisties and hills), so I am not adverse to reordering the stock tires. But I was just wondering if others had tires that fit my parameters that are easy to install and good quality.
Thanks
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Last week I ordered a set of tires from Walmart (I didn't know they sold motorcycle tires)
I ordered a set of Avon Cobra Chrome they didn't have the exact size, but these should work, front AV91 120/70ZR19 60W
and Rear TireAV92 190/60VR17
Walmart had them closed out for $201 for both.
Delivered to my house.

Let's Ride
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT for the rear tire. I believe it's gonna be night and day compared to what you are used to, much better cornering. Also, I mentioned my bad experience with Avon rear tires (AV80) and I will never install an Avon as a rear tire again. However, I have to say I'm pretty happy with the Avon AV71 Cobra 120/70ZR-19 at the front. Bought it for $151 off Amazon back in 2017. 15k miles later, there's still plenty of thread left.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
FWIT---you will have to go down a size on the front from OEM. I was told Dunlop is the only manufacturer for that size tire and it cost a premium and is not very good. Again, Michelin Pilot Road 4 for the front also.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
I was told Dunlop is the only manufacturer for that size tire and it cost a premium and is not very good...
Not my experience. The Dunlops have been good - and actually cheaper. My advice is don't believe what you've been "told", investigate for yourself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page