Just replaced the tires, and now have problems - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Just replaced the tires, and now have problems

There is a very long story behind this, but I will be as brief as I can.

Put new Metezler 888 Marathons on front and back because of the mileage they are supposed to get. Soon thereafter I get this vibration---well it is not really a vibration--more like a buzz with a little noise-- but that is the best description I can give. I feel it in the bars and pegs between 20-35 MPH mostly on deceleration but noticeable in that speed. It is not in the brakes or drive train--it is there even when I am coasting with clutch in. It feels like a bearing, but the dealer replaced both front bearings and it did not fix it. Hard to believe it is the tires since it is speed specific. They also replaced the front brake pads and the mechanic that did it has a good reputation.

My next thought is rear wheel bearing or else U joint in the shaft?????? 25K on the odometer on 2014 model.

Any ideas?????
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 05:49 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I put 888's on my Victory Cross Roads and had a noise like a wheel bearing. I didn't have any noise before and the bearings felt good when I changed tires. As the tread wore down the noise was quieter. When I replaced I went back to Dunlop Elite fours and noise went away.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 06:29 PM
SLO

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I had the same issue on my VTX1300 with the 888s. Certain road surfaces would make a noise that seemed like a vibration. Usually only noticed it in the interstate highway and even then only on certain road surfaces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Guess I will find out for sure later on.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
It is not hard for to believe at all mate.

This is my opinion and my opinion only.

Get those things off a Valkyrie, take the hit on the wallet and get them off. After the last event I through an almost brand new 888 into the bin.

My experience with 888's on a Valkyrie.

They didn't "feel" right.

I got no better mileage then anything else.

The only combination of tires that I have had where the bike slipped a little sideways when surfaces changed in the wet. IE hotmix smooth to rough. No warning, just breaks.

Most of the time it hooked up again. The time it didn't I am still paying for. Crash on April 20th. Back to work again tomorrow permanently this time I hope.

Vibration on the front when braking. I am fairly sure it was de-laminating. I had to get rid of that one with a lot of tread on it. (yes thrown out a front and back with great tread)

Just my opinion but for me I won't ever make that mistake again. They may be a great tire for something but not for a Valkyrie. I do not care what the numbers say they will never under any condition get put on my bike again as I would rather miss one ride then months of them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to hear about you problems, Shrub!!!

I will certainly not purchase any more Metezler 888 tires. You guys are correct. I am now convinced it is the tires. I took the bike in for a state inspection today. This is the first time I have ridden in cool temps with the new tires. The weather is in the mid 50s and the bike rode terrible and rough. They got a little better as they warmed up, but it surely does make for a bad ride.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Ordered the Michelin Pilot 4 today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page