Countersteering - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 12Likes

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Countersteering

Watched a Video of a guy that hit a truck head on in a turn the other day and it was messy . 3 times he tried to avoid what i knew was going to happen as he struggles with the steering before the impact. In my mind i believe he had no concept of Countersteering and it cost him his life . This was a natural for me on my hayabusa in the day and now i use it every turn i make on the Valk. just wanted to throw this out there and perhaps save a life but will leave it to others to explain it or educate yourself by the Pro's on u-tube. Ride safe everyone and never over your head . Turns and intersections take so many of us out !

Hot Rod, Geepers and Valkkiwi like this.

The best part of growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old .
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I was quite surprised at the amount of riders who have no idea about counter steering and would in fact argue like no tomorrow that it did not work like that.

The way I taught my X was to push with the hand on the side you want to go. Standing there it was arm out, palm out and fingers pointing towards the sky and push. Seemed to work. Unfortunately

Out of interest my father when he was young and in his first job was a courier on a side car. He could ride a bike but had never driven a side car. He put it through a window of a movie theater because he told me it just would not turn. Counter steering only works on 2 wheels, not 3. Short story was 50 years later I worked out why he crashed and 50 years later he found out what counter steering is.
Valkkiwi likes this.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
If you’re riding over parking lot speeds, you’re already countersteering.
Problem is that some don’t understand it, or know what they’re doing.
Valkkiwi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:44 AM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F6CT View Post
If you’re riding over parking lot speeds, you’re already counter steering. Problem is that some don’t understand it, or know what they’re doing.
CS, it is as natural as walking or flying, you don't need to know how it works IF you just do it. Just as much as LOOK where you want to go is to PUSH in the direction like pointing where you want to go.
IF you know this is how the geometry works then you can Consciously put your/more effort into making it happen, otherwise unconsciously you just tend to move into the direction you are looking just like when you were a kid on bicycle. nobody had to tell you or teach you to counter steer , you just did it unconsciously.

Where individuals err is when they don't know, but Consciously try to steer not cs a two wheeled flyer and of course it will go the other direction from intended because of geometry.

what geometry, you might ask? some might.. it has to do with gyroscopic forces and the shape and profile of your tires. first gyroscopic forces want the wheels to rotate perpendicular to the planet center of gravity, aka straight up. when you turn the front wheel in either direction, gyroscopic force will push the entire bike in the opposite direction. that is what causes the start of the lean over.
then the round Profile of the tires and their contact patch to the pavement employ what is called Camber Thrust to carve an Arc in the direction you are going. The center of the tire has a larger circumference (length) than any of the tire side profile have diminishing circumferences. Such that when leaned over, with each wheel rotation the inside of the contact patch is carving a shorter distance than the outer/center of the tire and the affect is an Arc.

camber thrust, the wheel gyro affect pulling up, gravity pulling down, centripedal force pushing out , you are in a natural state of balance aka Flying so long as the road surface doesn't toss you a curve with bumps or animal road kill (skunks) or wet pavement = loss of traction.. all is good .. for a while.

when you center the front wheel , then gyro overcomes gravity and the bike stands up straight to the pavement. So, you see you didn't need to know all this geometry and physical forces for it to work for you. you just need to do it. not very elegant, but it gets the job done. poncho
Valkkiwi likes this.

Ursus Horribilus

Last edited by Poncho; 10-17-2019 at 10:52 AM.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I would argue the gentleman who unfortunately lost his life probably was staring at the truck. A rider naturally countersteers, even if they don't know, and I cannot imagine he was riding if he didn't know how to turn. I agree - it is good to know how it works (your life hinges upon it), but I think more realistically he fixated on the truck and he went towards it. The best thing to do is train frequently to avoid staring at a dangerous object - of course, this is counterintuitive; thus, it needs to be practiced. Still happens sometimes. I have deer where I live, and there have been several occasions where they dart across the road. Pretty hard not to stare at the dumb creatures as time slows down.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:07 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyou36 View Post
I would argue the gentleman who unfortunately lost his life probably was staring at the truck. A rider naturally countersteers, even if they don't know, and I cannot imagine he was riding if he didn't know how to turn. I agree - it is good to know how it works (your life hinges upon it), but I think more realistically he fixated on the truck and he went towards it. The best thing to do is train frequently to avoid staring at a dangerous object - of course, this is counterintuitive; thus, it needs to be practiced. Still happens sometimes. I have deer where I live, and there have been several occasions where they dart across the road. Pretty hard not to stare at the dumb creatures as time slows down.

I agree. It probably wasn't the inability to counter steer, it was probably fixation. It takes a lot of practice to look where you need to go rather than what you are about to hit. New riders have difficulty with this concept.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:34 PM

Look where you want to go and you will Go where you are looking. is for all things in motion.
driving a vehicle on snow/ice and encountering a spin, look between the cars and you will instinctively steer toward the space between them. that is if you don't have your foot on the brake.. same goes for snow skiing, if you find yourself off the trail and in the trees. look between the trees and you will go there. look at a tree and you will hit it.

Ursus Horribilus
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Presence of mind, if in fact a head on collision is imminent, the bike does not matter and best course of action is to jump off and push away if possible.

These things happen so quickly that attempting to counter-steer may only put you in harms way at the last second.

Two wheeled machines never win in a scenario such as this.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillPickle311 View Post
Presence of mind, if in fact a head on collision is imminent, the bike does not matter and best course of action is to jump off and push away if possible.These things happen so quickly that attempting to counter-steer may only put you in harms way at the last second. Two wheeled machines never win in a scenario such as this.
that is like attempting to bail out of an airplane without a parachute. you are still going to hit the ground and the airplane only now on the outside of it at a high rate of velocity.. it is always better to keep flying your plane IF you know how to fly your plane. you might get lucky and pull it out.
Valkkiwi likes this.

Ursus Horribilus
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
you might get lucky and pull it out.
Luck is what we're talking about here and I for one never use the term. However, your solution and my solution is always a choice and I have no idea which one I would choose if facing a head on accident. I could jump out of harms way and get creamed by another vehicle. I could successfully maneuver my bike just to get nailed by a semi truck.

I remember seeing a video of a dude that slammed into the rear of a car just to end up on his feet on top of the car. KRAAAZYY!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page