low fuel warning - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
low fuel warning

I searched the forum for information, but found no prior discussion about the low fuel warning indicator on a Valkyrie.
My F6B has an analog fuel gauge, and when fuel is running low, a small yellow warning light illuminates, telling you that you have a bit over 1.1 gallons left.
As we all know, on Valkyries the fuel gauge is a horizontal status bar.
If I read page 19 of my Owner's Manual correctly, after the fuel gauge is down to 1 status bar segment, that bar will begin to blink when the tank is down to 1.32 gallons.
Is this correct?
Has any of you experienced this?
Or, are you all chicken, like me

Thanks, You All.

HondaBilly

2016 F6B
2014 Valkyrie
past owner of:
2007 Honda Shadow 600 VLX DeLuxe
2007 Honda VTX 1300
2007 Honda VTX 1800 F3
2015 Harley Davidson Sportster Iron 883
2015 Victory Gunner
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 07:31 AM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaBilly View Post
If I read page 19 of my Owner's Manual correctly, after the fuel gauge is down to 1 status bar segment, that bar will begin to blink when the tank is down to 1.32 gallons. Is this correct? Has any of you experienced this? Or, are you all chicken, like me Thanks, You All. HondaBilly
hb,, the correct pronunciation and spelling is Y'all. every bike, every machine and fuel system is like your kids or if not then your dogs. tho they may look the same and come from the same place, each has a different personality and behaviors can be wide.
So start with the fact that there is at least 6 gallons in your tank if it is Full. I say at least 6 because I have put more than that in mine several times. If you take notes of how much fuel you use each time you fill up and calculate your mileage Trip A reset at each fill up. you will First get a handle on the Rate at which you are consuming fuel. For instance if you top off the Same every time and you fill up at 200 miles at 5 gal fillups 200/5 = 40mpg. Pay attention to how the fuel bars are behaving as you consume fuel because they are not always consistent, but your Trip A meter is.
IF your last 1 bar starts flashing at approx. 200 and you top off at 5 gallons, well then Yes you have approx. 1.something gallons left in reserve. at 40mpg you can maybe go another 40 miles if its all down hill and with the wind. Its not best to run your tank full empty as the fuel pump requires fuel to keep cool. eventually it will fail if you abuse it.

now many here have control issues are not able to get a full 200 miles per refill and suffer horrible mpg in order to get their daily fix of accel/adrenaline. but that is the cost of their drug of choice.
on the other hand, I have documented proof of getting right at close to 60mpg under certain operating conditions with this machine. Typically I top off at 250 miles and the most I can squeeze in is 5. gallons = 50mpg avg. Several refills in the Colorado, Wyoming, Montana mountains running no Ethanol fuel, I got more than 300 miles per tank consuming approx. 5.somthing gal. But I do watch my fuel gauge bar and refill when the last bar starts to blink. 1 gal is all you got left in there

Ursus Horribilus

Last edited by Poncho; 09-25-2019 at 07:35 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
In my experience it varies when the light comes on. With my bike I've had it pop on at 1-1.3 to as much as 2 gallons in the tank. Normally between 180 to 190 miles on the tripmeter.

14 Valkyrie
02 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
02 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura
07 Yamaha YZF-R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I, too, worried about testing the accuracy and reliability of the "flashing last bar" that I'd read about in the manual as I kept wondering, "yeah, but what if mine isn't working right and I strand myself out in the rural corn fields?!" However, when I was on a recent trip and knew there was a gas station within a three-mile radius at any critical time (and using the GasBuddy app to locate my refueling options for reassurance) I learned that I have a comfortable safety margin of thirty miles plus, much like Poncho stated above. I've never been able to get close to 300 miles on a tank, however, and usually start paying attention when my TRIP A odometer reaches 200. As has been discussed elsewhere, how you fuel up can have a marked difference in how much of the 6.1 gallon tank you really use.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 05:49 PM

I have a little chunk of 2x4x4 that I put under the side stand when filling up. the bike stands almost vertical, but not enough to tip over the other way. this allows me to fill and burp the tank and get it FULL. only do this when you are ready to ride it for at least 30-50 miles to burn off the top 1/2 gallon. otherwise it will pee all that extra fuel on the floor when you remove 2x4 and set it down on the side stand. 328.8 / 5.58 = 58.9mpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chunk of 2x4.jpg (278.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Bear Tooth 19-39.jpg (196.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Bear Tooth 19-40.jpg (167.6 KB, 9 views)

Ursus Horribilus
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:05 PM

I have gone aprx 20 miles with it flashing and it held 5.1 gal at fill up .

The best part of growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old .
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Good to know, Y'all (right, Poncho?).
The Valkyrie Owner's Manual, page 19 indicates, "Remaining fuel when only 1st (E) segment starts flashing: approximately 1.32 US gal (5.0 liters)."
And this has been confirmed by your feedback.
Thanks, guys.
As my Valkyrie's fuel gauge just went to the last bar a few miles from my garage the other day, I don't think I will wait until it starts flashing.
I'll fill with 89 octane on my way out of town tomorrow (can't ride today...rain forecasted this afternoon).

Thanking you, Poncho, in particular, for the info about the fuel pump not being happy when you're running dry.
Did not know that!!

I love my Valkyrie - my drug of choice, indeed.

I love my Valkyrie's fuel pump. :-)

2016 F6B
2014 Valkyrie
past owner of:
2007 Honda Shadow 600 VLX DeLuxe
2007 Honda VTX 1300
2007 Honda VTX 1800 F3
2015 Harley Davidson Sportster Iron 883
2015 Victory Gunner
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaBilly View Post
Good to know, Y'all for the info about the fuel pump not being happy when you're running dry. Did not know that!! I love my Valkyrie - my drug of choice, indeed. I love my Valkyrie's fuel pump. :-)
all your vehicles have their fuel pumps immersed in the bottom of the fuel tank. the fuel keeps the pump cool. so don't run any of your vehicles down to the end of their tanks. or eventually you will have a fuel pump failure. that can be costly.

for too many years I had a habit of running my old carburetor pickups out of gas just to see how far they would go. pretty far if you manage your energy, that is lingo for driving slow, smooth and steady. I always carried extra tanks of gas in the back, so I never worried about where I might run out. Often I would find someone on the side of road out of gas. I would stop and give them plenty enough to get to a station. They were always overly pleased not only to be helped, but right there on the spot. no going back and forth to a station. Once out in the boonies,, farm land, I came across an old guy on a hardley sporturd sitting side of the road. yup. out of gas. I topped him off, 3 gallons. the old geezer was speechless.. or maybe toothless? after a while this became a game. how far can you go? quite further than you think, IF you carry spare fuel.

this came back to bite me. feb 06 I drove my 99 z71 pickup to Chicago to buy a hardley superglide (yeah I took a walk on the wild/bad side of the road). this truck had a 327 v8 fi motor. it started running poorly, I thought maybe bad gas? I stopped and filled it up. 20 miles down the road it died. tow truck dropped me at hotel and I spent the whole next day in bumfukistan waiting for the only shop in town to fix it. because the tank was full, they opted to take the bed off the truck to get to the fuel pump. swap out a new fuel pump and put my truck back together. 24 hour lost, hotel and sit wait, $800 for a $100 pump. is what happens when you run them dry. lesson learned. Don't.

Ursus Horribilus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page