Dropped it in the gravel - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 14Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Dropped it in the gravel

Riding along gravel driveway towards asphalt road. Slow to less than walking speed as I near the road and am surprised to see a line marking truck coming along the very edge of the road towards me. In a split second I thought "Stop...no actually, I can slip along the gravel verge and once the truck's gone by move out onto the asphalt". I'd only gone a few metres when I realised the "gravel" was a bit too sandy for my liking. So I stopped. No problem. And then I put my foot down. And here's where I made my mistake. I was still looking at the truck and all of a sudden there's nothing under my foot. I just happened to have stopped alongside a hole in the ground. And the bike started going over and I quickly realised it was unsaveable.

Damage: badly scuffed radiator shroud

Lessons learned:

(a) No matter what's going on, you must look down before you put your foot down (duh).

b) Picking up a fallen Valkyrie on gravel by yourself is possible if you use the right technique.

c) The back armor in my Motoport jacket works a treat. I landed pretty hard on my back and it felt like landing on an air mattress.

d) The Valkyrie engine guards work a treat - no engine contact with the ground

I'm gonna leave the cowling scratched up as a reminder to self: "pay attention dumbass".
shrubbo, Crabballs and use2b like this.

Last edited by Geepers; 09-21-2019 at 04:12 AM.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
As long as you can laugh and learn its all good
Geepers likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Jambriwal
Been there, Done that. Have not dropped the Valk but dropped at least 2 other bikes. Once in WV i stopped in a parking lot where the sidewalk was slightly higher than the pavement. I asked my friends if after they were done laughing to give a hand picking it up. Oh well sh** happens.
Geepers likes this.

Directions ? That's only the Manufacturer's opinion of the way this should be assembled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Geepers I left bits of grass and general shrubbery stuck in my fairings for a while after my subzero offroad shenanigans. I liked it like that.

Keep the scars. Chicks dig them.
Geepers and Poncho like this.

Peter
IBA#486

Other bikes: Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FJR1300, Triumph Tiger 955i, BMW G650GS.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Actually, as a follow up to my post....

I checked the bike over thoroughly when I got home and noticed a small amount of oil trickle over the final drive housing. The trickle appeared to have come from that "nipple" underneath the housing. I"ve wiped it off and will keep an eye on it but any thoughts / suggestions about (a) what that nipple is and (b) why it would weep as a result of the bike being on it's side?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:27 AM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
it is a breather to vent excess pressure when operating. meant to be in a vertical position. sideway it will trickle gear fluid.
shrubbo likes this.

Ursus Horribilus
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho View Post
it is a breather to vent excess pressure when operating. meant to be in a vertical position. sideway it will trickle gear fluid.
Great, thankyou sir
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
"(a) No matter what's going on, you must look down before you put your foot down (duh)." - Geepers

I did much the same thing three years ago getting out of the bed of my F-250. I was in the street in front of my own garage and didn't look as I stepped off the bumper to put my left foot down on the pavement as my right hand hung on to the top of the tailgate. My truck isn't really "lifted" except by the larger tires themselves and it's a long but do-able step down. Except the asphalt had a big chunk out of it, about 12" x 12" and 3" deep and my left foot went right down into it, and folded my ankle to a 90 degree angle with a firecracker-loud crack. If I hadn't been hanging onto the tailgate, I'd have gone all the way down as I had a somewhat heavy load in my left hand. Nothing was broken, but it wasn't right for two years and still can nag at me. Had the exact same injury on the basketball court 45 years ago. Glad you weren't hurt!

Regarding the bike: my bike was delivered to me in an enclosed trailer from the dealer I bought it from five hours away from me. When it arrived, it was found on its right side, having slid across the aluminum anchoring strips for the whole trip. It had snapped its tie-down straps. $2400 in damages to replace all the right side stuff that got scratched. Suggestion: I totally "get" riding it as-is/scratched for exactly the reasons you mentioned, but it might be a smart idea, if it's only the one radiator shroud, to go ahead and look around for one (either new or used) now and set it aside. They are not going to be any easier to find or less expensive as time goes by and you might like to have the option someday of just putting that all behind you and having 'er all spit-shined again! Again, glad it didn't cost you more.
Geepers likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

I was very glad I put the rear grab rails back on a week ago. I wouldn't have been able to pick the bike up by myself without them (and I was in a fairly unpopulated area).
shrubbo and KUGO like this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
When I first got the Valk, a '14 black one, I really didn't care for the silver passenger grab rails visually sticking out like they did. I also figured out that there was really no better place to help lift the bike back up after a lay-down and left them on for that specific reason. I did, however, take them off and had a local powder-coating outfit make them matte black. Much better look to my eye now, and the SO does use them.
shrubbo and Geepers like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page