• 1 Post By bparish
  • 1 Post By Ozman_15
  • 1 Post By Buster

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
12v power to handlebar for phone

Anyone run a 12v power wire to the handlebar? I've been told there is an aux plug under the seat that can be used but I'm wondering if the wire can can be run under the tank without removing the tank. If not then I'm looking for advice on where I can splice into to power a USB plug for my phone which I use as the GPS.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I don't know about an aux plug as it didn't fit my needs. I have 4 USB ports on my bars but they are connected straight to the battery so I can have them running when the bike is off. If you do it this way you must put a switch in somewhere because USB ports draw power even with nothing plugged in.

To wire to the bars you don't need to strip it down very much. Lift the seat, the side panel that covers the battery and the panel on the left that has the fuel cap release in it and you got plenty of room to work with. A couple of minutes if you take your time.

Once you have done that look down the left side of the bike between the tank and the cowl (you should be looking where the key panel was) and you can see a reasonable gap straight through there unobstructed. You can thread the cable through there and if you are having trouble get a wire coat hanger, bend it straight and tape one end of the wire to that and then feed it through. If you want to tuck it in further you can undo those 2 rear tank bolts which will allow you to lift it up 10mm or so if you need it.
Geepers and captain like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain View Post
Anyone run a 12v power wire to the handlebar? I've been told there is an aux plug under the seat that can be used but I'm wondering if the wire can can be run under the tank without removing the tank. If not then I'm looking for advice on where I can splice into to power a USB plug for my phone which I use as the GPS.
Yes there is a 12v plug under the seat. You can tap into with some small pins.
I bought a 12v outlet for the handlebars on EBay for less than $15.
captain likes this.

Let's Ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
The one I bought from Amazon is 1" circular. I drilled a hole in the left side plastic, above the gas tank cover release and mounted it there. Then I routed the USB charging cable through the top of the radiator cover and to the handlebars. Like the others said, it wasn't too difficult to fish the power from there under the tank to the seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg usb2.jpg (62.5 KB, 11 views)
captain likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I installed a 12v socket with 2 USBs on the handlebars and connected to the wires under the seat where the factory 12v socket would plug in. Socket turns off when the bike does so I don't need to worry about accidently leaving it on and draining the battery.
captain likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Even simpler approach - Battery Tender brand cables direct from the battery, plus an extension to the handlebars with a cap on the end when not in use. Take the cap off and either plug in the battery charger, or this type of usb connection, with the advantage that it continues charging when the bike is off. I also found another dual USB piece, 2.0 amps for each port is important, and a digital voltmeter to keep an eye on the battery during trips, but the digital read out is a trickle drain on the battery if you leave it connected and not riding for a few weeks - SwitchTech 4.8 amp fast SAE waterproof USB Charger with digital voltmeter (amazon $16.99). Despite both the usb and phone being "waterproof" , my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone displays a warning when riding in the rain and plugged in - moisture detected! Disconnect charging system until they both dry out!" I suppose that could be avoided with a plastic bag or some other way of keeping water off the phone connection that would also not cause it to overheat ....

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
captain likes this.

2nd owner of 2014 Valkyrie

Previous Bikes:
66 Benelli (Montgomery Wards) 125 cc Riverside
74 Yamaha Enduro DT360
74 Honda CB450
76 Kawasaki KH500
77 Yamaha RD400
80 Kawasaki KX250
71 Honda CB750K1
82 Yamaha Virago XV750
'95 Honda Magna VF750CD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Here's the one I mounted on mine.
Works great
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Dual-US...QAAOSwUf5baUZ8

Let's Ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page