That bloody 1st to 2nd change - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
That bloody 1st to 2nd change

I've got the tranny seamless in every change, up and down, (cover your ears Poncho) at all different speeds, EXCEPT for that *!?"|@! 1st to 2nd shift!! Driving me nuts. If you make the change at very low speed - ie very soon after moving off - no problem. It's when you string out 1st a bit. Sometimes it goes in with not even a click, sometimes it BANGS in and most of the time it's somewhere in between. Tried every technique I can (incl pre-loading the shifter) but still not getting a consistent change that I'm happy with. Can see why some guys ignore 1st and just start in 2nd. One day I'll discover the perfect technique by accident and wonder what all the fuss was about...that's usually how things go in my world.

Last edited by Geepers; 07-31-2019 at 02:54 AM.
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I think you will learn the technique I've been rideing GL's for 20 years so I don't notice it.

Let's Ride
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
It's when you string out 1st a bit.
I assume you've tried keeping throttle open, clutching, popping into 2nd and still you're not satisfied?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
hard to rev match with Fuel injection but i am pretty good at it then shift at about 12 MPH .

It is very much like the granny gear in my 1948 GMC 1 ton so it gets very little use.

The best part of growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old .
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
If you think the Valkyrie clunks between 1st and 2nd try riding a Guzzi or a Harley...
Geepers likes this.

14 Valkyrie
02 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
02 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura
07 Yamaha YZF-R6
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillPickle311 View Post
I assume you've tried keeping throttle open, clutching, popping into 2nd and still you're not satisfied?
I find this is OK at very low speed but not if I stretch out 1st. Trouble is of course we all do things slightly differently so hard to compare different riders' techniques.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by use2b View Post
hard to rev match with Fuel injection but i am pretty good at it then shift at about 12 MPH
You are talking about shifting up from 1st to 2nd?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geepers View Post
I've got the tranny seamless in every change, up and down, (cover your ears Poncho) at all different speeds, EXCEPT for that *!?"|@! 1st to 2nd shift!! Driving me nuts. If you make the change at very low speed - ie very soon after moving off - no problem. It's when you string out 1st a bit. Sometimes it goes in with not even a click, sometimes it BANGS in and most of the time it's somewhere in between. Tried every technique I can (incl pre-loading the shifter) but still not getting a consistent change that I'm happy with. Can see why some guys ignore 1st and just start in 2nd. One day I'll discover the perfect technique by accident and wonder what all the fuss was about...that's usually how things go in my world.
Simple solution - don't use 1st, start off in 2nd. This monster will start off in 5th with very little clutch slipping. I was discussing it with the service manager at the dealership, and he said he has a friend with an ankle issue, and he always starts off in 3rd. I only use 1st when walking it, i.e., into the garage.

2nd owner of 2014 Valkyrie

Previous Bikes:
66 Benelli (Montgomery Wards) 125 cc Riverside
74 Yamaha Enduro DT360
74 Honda CB450
76 Kawasaki KH500
77 Yamaha RD400
80 Kawasaki KX250
71 Honda CB750K1
82 Yamaha Virago XV750
'95 Honda Magna VF750CD
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Simple solution - don't use 1st, start off in 2nd...
Yes, considered that but I'm stubborn. I've got five gears and I want to use 'em all I guess the designers just intended first to be a "get 'er moving" gear and not stretched out. A bit boring though. I haven't quit trying to find the magic formula yet but might be getting close For those new to the Valkyrie, the upshifting technique I've found to work the best is (a) change up sooner rather than later and (b) make that throttle flick REAL quick. Keep your right hand really soft and relaxed so you can flick like grease lightning. When I'm doing it well I've found this technique allows my upshifts to happen with literally no sound or feeling at all and it's only the sound of the engine revs being lower that lets me know I have in fact moved up a cog(!) Beautiful engineering.

Last edited by Geepers; 08-09-2019 at 05:10 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:57 PM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
(cover your ears Poncho) until you get an electric bike with zero tranny to shift, you wont ever be happy. https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/ this is the bike you need. and yes you can do 100% engine braking w/o losing traction. win-win

Ursus Horribilus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List