Going down - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Going down

You’re destined to go down! IT could be your last time to ride or even draw a breath but it will happen. I certainly hope you never experience it and if so, you learn from it. I know! You or someone that you know have been riding hunnerds of years and a gazillion miles and not a freakin scratch. Yippee!

I expected it because I’m compelled to ride every day for at least a little while to relax.

A week ago after my normal daily excursion I thought about going home but decided to do a little quick wrap around(down the road and circle back home). I saw up ahead what looked like rain but gambled as in many other times. It had just started raining right before my exit off the interstate. I downshifted to 5th and released a little too quick. Rear tire caught just enough to get loose and it was all over. I went into the wet grass on the right and ended up on my back looking over at my valk on its right side a few feet away and by this time raining like crazy. Got lots of help from kind folks. Fast forward…

Went via ambulance to hosp and after all the scans, got two fractured ribs, bad bruising on right side along with grassy road rash which hurts like he11, and enough aches and pain to keep me pondering this ordeal for quite a while.

It will be around 6K to fix/replace all the junk on the valky. Hey! But there is more…

The scans indicate a mass in my noggin bout the size of a grape and high paid hand wringers are wanting a go at it. Got to have another MRI in couple of weeks and we go from there. I actually think that little grape IS my brain! LOL! I always thought it was at least pea sized.

I’m not worried, nervous, scared, or dreading it. I’m living my best life right now y’all and if this leads to a door on this side of heaven to step thru, I am more than ready to leave this old world and see Jesus. I LOVE my life but I know I can’t hold on forever.

I remember some of my little rides thinking that if I died right now, I’m already in heaven. That’s how much I enjoy riding motorbikes. Enough of that!

One more comment concerning the clutch on the valk. I was always aware that the drive caught quickly when letting out the clutch and thought that I’d gotten used to it. Henceforth, IF I happen to be on slick roads after a rain… ABSOLUTELY NO DOWNSHIFTING. If I would have just slowed down and then downshifted right before stopping, you would not have seen this thread. So I, of course, learned from this.

Last edited by DillPickle311; 07-19-2019 at 04:58 PM.
post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:30 PM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
they say that when flying any landing you can walk away from is a good one. glad to read this from you and not a second hand account. downshifting?.. engine braking can be done in the gear your already in. just roll off the throttle. the proper way to manage your energy is small movements. read a book, Racing in the Rain. I cut teeth driving on snow and ice. small changes, smooth changes, look where you are going because you are going where you are looking. say hello to Jesus for me.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillPickle311 View Post
One more comment concerning the clutch on the valk. I was always aware that the drive caught quickly when letting out the clutch and thought that I’d gotten used to it. Henceforth, IF I happen to be on slick roads after a rain… ABSOLUTELY NO DOWNSHIFTING. If I would have just slowed down and then downshifted right before stopping, you would not have seen this thread. So I, of course, learned from this.
So glad that you came out of it with a good prognosis and even better attitude. I hear people constantly say, "ride it like you stole it." I ride it like I'd like to see home and hearth at least one more time. Does that mean I don't get grins or get on it when I feel like it? No, of course not. It means just what I said.

When I first got this bike its engine braking power was noticeably more than any other bike I'd ever had. Just assumed it was because of six pots versus fewer. Just last week I was going about 30-35, decided to turn in to a place on the right, thinking I was in third gear before I downshifted. OOPS! I'd been in second and shifting to first was a surprise, requiring an apology to my wife. (I have a gear shift indicator that I bought last year and still haven't installed. It's in a box with several other items. Winter projects I never got to.) I looked into slipper clutches and then realized that the problem was me, not the bike. Constant vigilance! Which is one of the main reasons I enjoy riding so much: it requires me to pay attention to what I'm doing instead of what crap I'd be thinking about if I was home and not riding.

Again, heal well and heal fast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:32 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about this DP. I've went down hard twice in the last 40 years of riding so I know how much it hurts so thanks for the advise that may help from going down again.
Am I hearing it right that they may have found a brain tumor? If so your accident just may end up saving your life.

Speedy recovery and keep us posted on how you're doing.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLLOU View Post
Sorry to hear about this DP. I've went down hard twice in the last 40 years of riding so I know how much it hurts so thanks for the advise that may help from going down again.
Am I hearing it right that they may have found a brain tumor? If so your accident just may end up saving your life.

Speedy recovery and keep us posted on how you're doing.
Yep! What concerned me was when surgeon said there was inflammation around the tumor.

I am glad to have it discovered and of course would make a great story if it is one of those "good thing you found it early" deals and we get it out without too much interruption with my great intellect.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho View Post
...the proper way to manage your energy [in the wet] is small movements....small changes, smooth changes...
Yup.

Last edited by Geepers; 07-19-2019 at 08:03 PM.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUGO View Post
Constant vigilance! Which is one of the main reasons I enjoy riding so much: it requires me to pay attention to what I'm doing instead of what crap I'd be thinking about if I was home and not riding.
Great summary. Thanks.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Man, glad you are alright! I've been doing lots of riding in the rain, strangely I really enjoy it, especially since it is so hot. I definitely don't make sudden moves or do anything to break traction. This bike does really well on wet roads.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
This bike does really well on wet roads.
Well! I just put a Dunlop 200 tire on rear month or so ago and afraid this may have contributed to my accident. I've noticed a couple of times where I've lost rear grip. It got me this time.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I like to think everything happens for a reason DP. Maybe this is the Valkyrie telling you to get your noggin fixed so you can have many more miles of smiles. Wishing the best!
DillPickle311 and Smitty79 like this.

Brock On

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page