Join Date: Feb 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am.not sure the fans are cutting on more often and probably while riding but with the wind noise I don't hear them come on. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me. I did recently install a back rest and luggage rack. The air flow around me has changed a little but hard to believe it could cause my legs to stay hot and they are hot at all speeds not just sitting still or driving slow.
Given your complaint of excessive heat while riding and sitting, I would be checking several things;
1. Is the coolant properly filled to max level? not just the overflow bottle, remove the right rad wing and check under the cap.
2. Is the coolant new and functionable. do a coolant test to see if it has degraded. If so, Drain, Flush and Refill with the good stuff. Orange is P'glycol has a higher specific heat value and is better for alum rads. check to see if Honda has any issues with it or recommends the old green glycol stuff. aka cat killer.
3. is the coolant pump functioning properly? you will need a service manual to get proper check out procedures.
4. Are the fans functioning properly at temp? 200f on / 180f off (?)
5. Are the fans discharging heat forward when stopped
6. just guessing at this one, could the fans possibly be running while riding and reducing the amount of air over the rads?
These are all things that can contribute to Poor Heat Rejection and allowing the engine coolant to be at a higher than acceptable temperature.
Ok, so IF the coolant and the pump and the fans are all operating per design and you are still being subject to excessive heat,, I would get a health check up and make sure that your heart and circulatory system is functioning properly. When we age, all the wheels on the bus start to get loose. some even fall off. Our circulatory system is critical in getting rid of excess heat and maintaining core temp. our Legs are usually the first to suffer degraded blood flow. they put up with a lot of abuse over the years. So get your pump and coolant quality checked. a baby aspirin a day is recommended to keep blood viscosity low and not sludge up like some 50w oil, is hard to pump.