on my way in to work this morning... - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
on my way in to work this morning...

I'm sure I'm not the first Valkyrie rider to experience this....
But it was so remarkable, I just can't refrain from sharing the thrill over something my 2014 Valkyrie did this morning, on my way in to work.

If anyone here is familiar with Exit 4 onto I-89 South in Hopkinton, NH, you know the stretch of pavement - a motorcycle rider's delight.
First, there's a 400-meter-long, dead-straight stretch of road approaching a long, sweeping left-hander, which you can do pretty safely in 3rd gear at 55-60 mph.
As soon as that lefty straightens out, there's a somewhat sharp righty onto the highway...still in 3rd, leaning her over, off the throttle for a few seconds, rather than hitting the brakes.

When that right turn straightens out, you're on the ramp, merging onto Interstate 89 South into Concord, NH.
Motorists are booking it at 7:15 am, commuting in to work, in Concord and points East (Portsmouth), and South (Manchester, Nashua, and Boston).
Traffic typically moves at 75-80 mph in the passing lane.
NH State Police will give you high 70s to 80, so long as you're behaving yourself in the line of traffic.

This morning, as I was merging onto the highway, still in 3rd gear, I rolled back the throttle to about 70 mph, dropped her into 4th, and hit the throttle again.
Dam!
The front end of the motorcycle suddenly felt extremely light, and the front wheel lost traction with the pavement for a split second!
I have never had that sensation before on a motorcycle...not in 4th gear anyway.
Take heed, you all.

One really does need to be on one's game on a Valkyrie.

The Valkyrie is extremely potent, and can overpower us if we're not very, very careful.
I learned something about my bike today.
I've developed even more respect for the awesome power of the Honda Valkyrie, than I had already.
It's totally outrageous.

2016 F6B
2014 Valkyrie
past owner of:
2007 Honda Shadow 600 VLX DeLuxe
2007 Honda VTX 1300
2007 Honda VTX 1800 F3
2015 Harley Davidson Sportster Iron 883
2015 Victory Gunner
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaBilly View Post
The Valkyrie is extremely potent...
Car engine in a bike.
Rich Wentz likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
I've owned some powerful bikes... all vtwins.

Honda wanted to highlight this flat 6 and if nothing else, the torque it provides through all the gears will make you an addict if it doesn't kill you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:01 AM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
hb,, Motorists are booking it at 7:15 am, commuting in to work.. sleeping in are we? some of us have been at it since before 6, and that's not the commute. just some.
I do love having the road ALL to myself. I get annoyed when some other early bird is out there mucking up MY morning world..
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:29 AM

Oh, to hel with it. I'm coming out of retirement. It's too much fun here....

Now then Mr Poncho, what about HB's point? I reckon give him some credit for raising a very valid concern rather than seek to win a pissing contest about who gets to work earliest.

HB, I share your excitement - that must have been quite something - and also appreciate your wise words about treating these bikes with respect. Well said sir.

Last edited by Geepers; 06-27-2019 at 07:32 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:09 AM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm sure I'm not the first Valkyrie rider to experience this....One really does need to be on one's game on a Valkyrie.

The Valkyrie is extremely potent, and can overpower us if we're not very, very careful.
I learned something about my bike today.
I've developed even more respect for the awesome power of the Honda Valkyrie, than I had already.
It's totally outrageous.
hb,, this is just to settle the geeps down. what you state is the obvious. yes these motors make more power than any rational sane rider would need and delivers it early, fast and smooth such that if your not paying attention you will have put too much salt in the soup! geeps will probably chime in with some aussie lingo to exasperate any other true English speaking person from identifying wtf he is saying.

but yes, this F6C is a handful that must be respected. I picked mine up in foul weather, rain and strong cross winds. It doesn't take more than 10 seconds to know you have more power than you have traction. So I rode the first 250 miles in very careful mode. after that I had 3 days of sunshine and rode it in normal person mode. then the last day home was thru hurricane weather they call it monsoon off the pacific finds its way into the texas desert. climate change? Anyway, I am very aware of the ability of this motor to outperform the rest of the bike and its operator if it is not reigned in.

I think my next set of wheels is going to be one of those 'lectrics like zero sr/f 500lb, 140hp+ft/lb tork. I want that motor in a dual sport package, will wait for them to catch up. https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/
Geepers likes this.

Last edited by Poncho; 06-27-2019 at 09:13 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Once, during my first summer with my new Valk, I was just casually scooting through town, maybe 35 mph, with only my right hand on the bar. I was just resting the other one on my left thigh to change the position for a few minutes. As I was nonchalantly cruising by I blipped the throttle at a stopped cager on my right to see if he was actually seeing me while he was stopped at the stop sign. When I used to do that on my big HD, it would make a sound to get their attention a little quicker, but not really accelerate all that much with just a blip. I immediately learned that this was a technique that I would NOT use again without both hands where they are supposed to be! The bike just leaped forward in a way my Harley never could, and as I was not expecting it I was lucky to stay in control. Live and learn. Or is that learn and live??
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUGO View Post
Once, during my first summer with my new Valk, I was just casually scooting through town, maybe 35 mph, with only my right hand on the bar. I was just resting the other one on my left thigh to change the position for a few minutes. As I was nonchalantly cruising by I blipped the throttle at a stopped cager on my right to see if he was actually seeing me while he was stopped at the stop sign. When I used to do that on my big HD, it would make a sound to get their attention a little quicker, but not really accelerate all that much with just a blip. I immediately learned that this was a technique that I would NOT use again without both hands where they are supposed to be! The bike just leaped forward in a way my Harley never could, and as I was not expecting it I was lucky to stay in control. Live and learn. Or is that learn and live??

Yes! I experienced the same thing on my F6B, right after I bought it.
I presently own both that 2016 B and my 2014 Valkyrie.
I only had experience operating large V-twins prior to getting into Gold Wings.
Not that those bikes were not powerful. I owned both a Honda VTX 1800F3 and a Victory Gunner 106 (1731cc), as well as other twins by Harley Davidson and Honda, before I bought my Wings. All of those other bikes were very powerful and fast. The VTX 1800 was pretty much Stage One in stock condition, and it came with great pipes. I did nothing to it, as far as performance upgrades. The X was a 1795cc fuel injected monster.
My Vic, too, really had power. I invested in Stage One exhaust and a Maximus TechnoResearch fuel tuner, and had the bike dynotuned by an expert. She was pushing nearly 101 foot pounds of torque and 81 hp, measured on the DynoJet. That equates to 116 ft lb and around 93 hp at the flywheel, which is serious business for such a lightweight cruiser.
But....
Both of them were still V-twins.
The response at the throttle is totally different from Honda's flat 6-cylinder engine, right?

You just touch the throttle, and she revs up immediately!
Gotta be so careful with a Wing.

It was not necessary to be so very vigilant of what my throttle hand was doing with V-twins like it is now.
So be it....

2016 F6B
2014 Valkyrie
past owner of:
2007 Honda Shadow 600 VLX DeLuxe
2007 Honda VTX 1300
2007 Honda VTX 1800 F3
2015 Harley Davidson Sportster Iron 883
2015 Victory Gunner
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
It was not necessary to be so very vigilant of what my throttle hand was doing with V-twins like it is now.So be it....
It's quite amazing - you ride around town in traffic and your throttle hand moves so slightly it's barely perceptible. You almost just "will" the bike forward!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geepers View Post
It's quite amazing - you ride around town in traffic and your throttle hand moves so slightly it's barely perceptible. You almost just "will" the bike forward!
That is SO true. I've had many bikes since I was 14 or so (54 years ago), of all different kinds, but had nothing with this kind of (almost telekinetic) responsiveness. Probably the closest you can come to an all-electric/instant-maximum torque (Zero/HD) throttle experience without the battery dependency. And if that instant ZING is what you're looking for, just try to find something else that performs the same way with the same comfort and all-around adaptability. Happy Freedom Day, All!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page