Long-Distance Comfort - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Long-Distance Comfort

Just a few comments/observations about the bike and my setup:

I finally took the Valk on a much needed long trip. Over 700 miles in one day, including downpours to get to Hot Springs. We were cruising at about 90 most of the trip, and I wish there was a 6th gear! However, I still got a good number of miles out of each tank despite higher RPMs. The Corbin seat works like a dream and keeps improving long after the break-in period. My hips were sore before my ass went numb! I managed to drag a peg only once on those twisty mountain roads. My 4" Boss Audio bluetooth speakers were more than loud enough to hear at 90 behind a loud v-twin. My tall windscreen is not fun in the rain, even with Rainx for plastic motorcycle windshields applied. The radiators are a godsend, my V-Star gets so hot that you think your pants are going to melt to your legs; this was a non-issue! On the way there and back I had absolutely no mechanical/electrical issues which seem to follow me when I ride my other bikes.

Unfortunately, my shoulders and neck are still paying the price a week later. Unless BScrive wants to fab another set of bars to sell me, it looks like I'll be getting those 2" Rox risers about which I read 7 pages of posts!

Overall, this can be a great touring bike!

2015 Valkyrie; 2004 V-Star 1100, 1997 Goldwing Aspencade
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I agree with the 6th gear. This bike needs it.

As for your soar neck and back there is not much to do about that. Maybe soften the suspension a little? But that'll affect handling and make it soupy in the corners. Windscreen is a huge one too.

I rode mine from LA to Tucson (about 500 miles ) with a blvd screen and it made it a little miserable for me. The stock seat surprisingly did well. But the bike is unsurprisingly smooth and doesn't miss a beat.

14 Valkyrie
02 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
02 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura
07 Yamaha YZF-R6
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:16 PM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Overall, this can be a great touring bike!
well at its heart it is a Goldwing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I just came back from Americade at lake George. About 400 miles and from home a ton of great riding up that way. I discovered there is no sense running anything higher than 87 octanes after a couple of fill-ups with my Harley crew my mileage quickly fell sub par with their v twins. I switched back and did found they needed to fuel up before me with two or three bars still on my meter.

My new rebuilt seat was heaven and I look forward to getting my tour pack on for the extra room so I don't have to bug my buddy to store my helmet or jacket.

New Avon memory foam grips were nice and I couldn't have made it without my forward pegs to stretch out on. My Honda windshield was perfect but needs a deflector to stop some wind that runs up under the tank.
My fog light came in really handy for animals having to leave so late at night.
I too love the radiator heat when you need to pull your legs into it later in the night. I had a family issue and had to leave at 3am. This came in handy and got me through some of the colder roads even with chaps on.

In the future I will be putting on heated grips and heat under my cover, Tunes of some sort, a phone holder for GPS and get my tour pack set up as a quick release and a set .
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
I'll have to agree with all that was said here even though have not been on an extended trip yet.

I will still need to make some changes but hopefully get to do a trip soon.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

87 is all our bikes need, and premium won't do them any favors. What kind of tour pak are you looking into? I'm almost certainly going with the Arlen Ness pizza box for Harleys for aesthetic reasons. Not sure about bags, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60_170ii_00L_1560209141681.jpg (243.8 KB, 22 views)

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:32 PM

my 015 cherry sure loves this more 'spensive retarded 93 petrol. I tried a tank of 83 and it got only 47mpg. I have been averaging rite at and now 51mpg with the retarded stuff. I would do 83 if I could get some w/o corn oil in it.

I read most fellas add lots of stuff to their bikes such that they either have to pull it off or buy it again on the next bike. in particular are the toons. why put a 'spensive stereo system on your sled and worry about it and cant hear it at speed, when you can just put blue tooth earbuds and stream anything from your pocket phone. when you get off the bike, it goes with you.
also heated grips and seats. why not just get some heated gloves and jacket liner. when you change bikes your gear goes with you , not the bike.
so many other items that can be ported over.
Geepers likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Where are you located that you have 83? The lowest I've seen is 87. I average about 42 mpg riding in the city.

As for a stereo system instead of earbuds, that's easy. I want to be able to talk to the people riding with me at lights, hear the traffic around me, earbuds always fall out of my ears, and I don't want a ticket for wearing them if they do stay in. $100 isn't expensive for a 1,000-watt bluetooth system that can be heard at 100+ mph and is easily moved to another bike.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Where are you located that you have 83? The lowest I've seen is 87. I average about 42 mpg riding in the city.

As for a stereo system instead of earbuds, that's easy. I want to be able to talk to the people riding with me at lights, hear the traffic around me, earbuds always fall out of my ears, and I don't want a ticket for wearing them if they do stay in. $100 isn't expensive for a 1,000-watt bluetooth system that can be heard at 100+ mph and is easily moved to another bike.
Tx with all our refineries is full of 83 and I have even had to resort to 81 in the Nevada and, ahem, Cali deserts when that is all they have. for $5 gal. that was back in 07-10.

I wear blue tooth hearing aids 16hrs a day so they don't bother me or fall out. they can be paired with most any new fangled device. I can control them up and down and still hear anything I want to.. or even Not.. as for occifers of the piece, its nothing but Yes Sir and No Sir and I read lips as I am mostly deaf anyway and require ear aids just to marginally function. Wearing ear buds or for that matter ear plugs is not against the law.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Those bluetooth hearing aids are supposed to be great, I'm hopefully decades away from needing them.

Here in Illinois, almost everything is illegal including riding with earbuds. You can wear ear plugs, but not something that plays music. I know a few cops in particular who will write a ticket for that every single time!

I loved Texas, ethanol-free gas was everywhere and my SUV got 5-10 more mpg the whole time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page