a Rare Duck or a Cooked Goose? - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
a Rare Duck or a Cooked Goose?

dang! I don't know what to make of this new sled, other than maybe its just loosening up at 2.5k miles. I ran another tank of 93 octane thru it. Just my daily rides to the lake thru the benders. that's what I call the twisties, benders, cause you have to bend her over to get her to carve. anyway, my avg speed is 40-50mph, mostly 3rd sometimes 4th gear if I'm not paying attention.
but the fuel bar thingy finally flashed one bar at 269.5 smiles. I stopped at the next station and did my little dance. put a chunk of 2x4 under the side stand makes her sit almost upright. Topped her off with another tank of 93'tane doing my usual burp, top, burp, top, burb, top off. same same. I even squeezed in another dollar because I like whole numbers. 5.3 gal at 271.6 miles. the Red Barron is now getting 51.2 mpg.. yikes! and the last 2 day runs have been with this new snow, er I mean wind plow batwing fairing up front.
I know you don't believe me. so I took pics of the speedo and gas tank and gas pump and even that chunk of 2x4. I wouldn't believe me either. So now how do I get these pics to fit in this little box?

btw, my lil chunk of 2x4x4. I painted flat black and put industrial velcrose on it and also on that black plastic behind the left side muffler. It nestles in there like a glove and has not budged in 500 miles of twisty benders and bumps. you wouldn't know it was there if you was looking right at it. just blends in with the background. flat black, I call it invisible paint. poncho
Geepers likes this.
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I gas mine up sitting on it and I Use 87 I get far better mileage then I did with high test. Mine hates high test low compression motor I think.
wgold9722 likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afta View Post
I gas mine up sitting on it and I Use 87 I get far better mileage then I did with high test. Mine hates high test low compression motor I think.
I agree. these are 9.5:1 comp ratio. not really high. but a tight motor and breathes well for a 2 valve head. Unless your motor needs the Retarded fuel, lower octane is actually a better fuel as it ignites quicker allowing a longer more thorough burn. probably why EPA endorses it. but DOE cruds the stuff up with 10-15% corn oil which loves H2O. water can burn, but our motors aren't that hot.

this particular bike appears to be an anomaly in the sea of flat sixers. most report sub 40s even 30s mpg. me thinks it is the pilot not the motor the culprit. but mine has been just peachy from mile 1.
I would use the cheap stuff if it yielded results. so far nada. the impaired fuel is turning out the big coins. If I find a station w/o ethynol, like I did in Montana and Idaho mountains, I will run a tank lowest grade and see if it performs as compared to same high test stuff. If it does outperform , then it is for sure the corn oil that is impeding performance and not the octane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:31 PM

most of what I run is corn free in NH we have both. Mine loves ethanol free I average High 40's most all the time but drops quickly with higher fuels as you well pointed out why. Enjoy this beast. Sounds like you ride the way I do. Tires are most of my expense. MY front is mostly toasted at 3500 miles
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

afta what? NH, live free or die.! you can get the good stuff w/o the corn oil. it must be what they call winter blend? I can only find that stuff up in the mountains near canukistan. maybe they don't put corn in their gas there? all that freedom and cant change the color of your blinkers.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:52 AM

You can make the ethanol free stuff at home. I never did but had some buddies doing it a while back you basically set up a separator and take the water out. They then used the fuel for small engines and used the water blend for windsheild cleaner in their cars.

It's plentiful around these parts and Canada. I have two places near me that sell it. however, it is more money at $3.00 per gallon. But honestly, I only run it if I start having problems with any of my stuff or bike.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Ethanol aka corn oil is promoted by the DOE but is pushed by the Farm Bureau to get subsidies (aka welfare) from the Feds. it is garbage fuel, but it makes farmers happy (free money) and the feds get to stick there hands in more of the peoples business and skim off the top, 83cents of every dollar. so for those two crooks it is a win win.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Hey Poncho, you're a tease - we can't SEE that thing! If you can't work out how to post a bigger pic, your granddaughters probably can
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geepers View Post
Hey Poncho, you're a tease - we can't SEE that thing! If you can't work out how to post a bigger pic, your granddaughters probably can
I'm going to have to recruit one of my techs to show me how to squeeze pics in this little box below. though my girls are my delight, they are only 3 and brand spankin new, so its going to be another 5yrs before I can do some serious traveling again. I have standing Monday play dates and music lessons with big sister. pics when I can get one of these fellas to slow down and fix me up.

I have been studying the radiators vs the new fairing. I could either fab new rad covers or trim the fairing. So I put the stock angel wings back on this scantily clad model strutting in her under wares. aka the wings are on the red baron. And I noted conflict of real estate that the batwing and wings don't want to share when turn full left and right... Soooo, I started trimming the batwing. first just a little. remount and retry. then cut a little more. remount and retry. then cut a little more. shampoo, rinse, repeat. you get the idea. I am working toward good fitment and side clearance when turning.
am almost there. but I have trimmed a sizeable amount of batwing off both sides so that conflict is minimized. it sorta works, not happy with all the cutting on a brand new 6 Benjamin fairing. but hey, this is how it gets done. I will eventually get it dialed in and trimmed up. I would share pics with you if I could. maybe one day soon? I will start a new thread and call it the poncho project. then slow walk you thru the process, step by misstep, pics and all commentary. ponchout

Last edited by Poncho; 06-11-2019 at 11:35 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
So what happens if you:

a) take photo with phone
b) email photo to self
c) drag photo out of email on to computer desktop
d) drag photo from desktop into the dotted square

This works fine for me with Apple phone/computer...don't know about non-Apple of course.

Last edited by Geepers; 06-12-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page