Honda's Big Mistake - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Honda's Big Mistake

I am not defending the Valkyrie. IT stands on its own. The engineers had ME in mind when deciding to strip down the Wing. I was the perfect match!

I've owned all of these while looking for a machine that would fulfill my requirements.

2007 Honda 750
2008 Kawasaki Custom 900
2002 Kawasaki 1500 Meanstreak
2004 Victory Vegas
2002 Honda Vtx1800C
2007 Honda VTX1800F

Today I pushed this machine. I passed cars/trucks and honked the Big horn in one day more than all the previous bikes combined. I exceeded the speed limits almost all afternoon.

This Valkyrie is not perfect and IT is not for everyone. Honda took a big gamble in thinking there would be a lot more buyers like me. Time has proven this to not be true.

Honda messed up and their mistake is my greatest investment.

Last edited by DillPickle311; 03-11-2019 at 12:28 AM.
post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Yeah I like mine so much I have actually tossed around the idea of buying another one and storing it but unless something bad happens I think this thing will be going for quite a long time.
wgold9722 likes this.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
All they had to do was get people to have a test ride and the bike would have sold. Simple as that. Every one I know thinks the bike must be a handful to ride and just refuse to believe me when I say it's not. If that's the perception then obviously people 'aint gonna buy 'em! One test ride, that's all it would have taken. But they didn't see the need. Complaceny? Arrogance? Perhaps a bit of both. But also probably a bit of over-estimating how discerning the market actually is.
wgold9722 and use2b like this.

Last edited by Geepers; 03-11-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
In my experience talking to people and when I was researching the bike online before I bought it, the two biggest complaints I saw were "its ugly, it doesn't look like the old valkyrie" and "it's too expensive".

Motorcycle sales are down all over the world. The reason being that the older generation that is really into motorcycles is dying off. Younger generations have a lot more choices in the 4 wheel department, some of which offer many of the benefits that motorcycles used to have a monopoly on.

So honda made this bike to appeal to a younger crowd. They took a chance and gave it modern styling. They made it sound quite and refined. All the things a younger buyer would want. But then they priced it right out of their range.

Older buyers didn't want it because it didn't look like every other cruiser ever made since 1965. They say things like "it looks like a spaceship! It's ugly! Get off my lawn!" (I've been told several times in the last 5 weeks since I've owned the bike, that it is one of the most beautiful bikes they've seen, but they only saw it in pictures up to that point and thought it was ugly) Younger buyers couldn't afford it. Or they looked at other bikes in the price range and said "but this one has navigation, a port to charge my iPhone, and an adjustable seat, for $3500 less."

The mistake honda made was assuming that people buy motorcycle based on how well they function and the joy of riding them. The sad fact is that most people don't buy them for those reasons. Old people buy motorcycles based on how they look. They want to project an image. Young people buy motorcycles based on price, available options, fuel economy, and how fast the speedometer says the bike will go.

Hopefully Honda has learned their lesson and will plan their advertising campaign better for the new valkyrie coming in 2020.

Last edited by KurNorock; 03-11-2019 at 04:05 PM.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Do you know how much I love not seeing another one?

I was about to fill it up yesterday and the pump had an error so proceeded to step inside the store. A black guy with a grin from one ear to the other opened the door for me. That don't happen too much here in the south. I was back putting gas in it and he was walking toward his car next to me and told him how much his small gesture meant to me. He said part of the reason was the valk. He wants one badly!

He left and I needed to clean some of the bugs off due to the warmer temps and every paper towel dispenser was screwed up because the towels were hung from everyone trying to pull out too many. So, tore off a small section. Next thing I know, a white guy is handing me a bunch he had in his truck. I said thanks man!

I mention this because the valk is an attention grabber...
shrubbo likes this.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurNorock View Post
Older buyers didn't want it because it didn't look like every other cruiser ever made since 1965. They say things like "it looks like a spaceship! It's ugly! Get off my lawn!"
Exactly. But if they'd actually ridden it...

Last edited by Geepers; 03-11-2019 at 07:25 PM.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillPickle311 View Post
I am not defending the Valkyrie. IT stands on its own. The engineers had ME in mind when deciding to strip down the Wing. I was the perfect match!

Honda messed up and their mistake is my greatest investment.
Couldn't have said it better.

I think the market is there, I think the approach was misguided. Perhaps something a little smaller, with a V4 or some other engine other than a V twin. That came in at 13k or less would have done better in the market. The ONLY drawback I see to this bike is the lack of aftermarket support. I take that back. There are 2 things, lack of accessible storage is a problem as well. Looking forward to getting some bags.

Has anyone seen a negative review from someone who has actually ridden this bike? I haven't seen one.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
When I hear people mock the new Valkyrie this saying comes to mind..:

"They laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at them because they are all the same".

- Jonathan Davis of Korn

14 Valkyrie
02 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
02 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura
07 Yamaha YZF-R6
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:22 AM

[QUOTE=Ozman_15;78725]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillPickle311 View Post
Has anyone seen a negative review from someone who has actually ridden this bike? I haven't seen one.
I’ve searched the net from top to bottom. There aren’t any. And that’s my point. All Honda had to
do was get people to ride one. I think everyone on this forum says one ride and they had to have it. Such a simple sales strategy overlooked.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
[quote=Geepers;78743]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman_15 View Post

I’ve searched the net from top to bottom. There aren’t any. And that’s my point. All Honda had to
do was get people to ride one. I think everyone on this forum says one ride and they had to have it. Such a simple sales strategy overlooked.
But how? I haven't seen a commercial or an ad for a motorcycle in decades. The only time motorcycles get advertised is in motorcycle specific magazines and websites. But the people watching/reading those are the people already into bikes. The old farts that think it looks too much like a spaceship, and the younger crowd that can't afford it. They didn't bring any new customers into the dealerships, which is what they needed to sell this bike at the price it was listed.

honestly I never even knew the new valkyrie existed until about a year ago. And that was only because I rode my cousins goldwing, loved it, wanted one but without all the fairing and luggage, did a google search to see if such a thing existed, and found a valkyrie for sale 1500 miles away. Did some research for the next year, and found my bike for sale.

Like i was literally looking to see if people bought a goldwing and stripped it down. I had no idea because I never saw one, never heard of them, never saw an ad, never saw one on display outside a dealership, nothing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page