Preload setting - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By use2b

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Preload setting

Someone posted the other day that they were finding their ride harsh so they wound their preload up not down. Their feeling was that the suspension was bottoming out and needed more support. I had been getting those nasty jolts up the spine and was thinking to soften my suspension but that post made sense to me. So I turned my preload up to the max too. BIG improvement. No more jolts and the bike seems more planted. I'm 93kg so as the OP said, this suspension was designed for lightweights. I can see now why Boris says in his review that the only thing he would upgrade on a Valk is the suspension:

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
A couple of days ago, I turned is all the way up but it kept clicking after quite a number of turned way past 18.

Maybe it's my weight at around 250, but I can't really tell much difference. The ride is okay but seems the front wheel needs a little more softening. Overall, no complaints but not really seeing a cushy ride especially since roads here are pretty much crap.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
my bike rode harsh when i got it and turned the dial counter clockwise as far as possible and enjoy the much softer ride. I ride 2 up most of the time and never bottomed out but can feel the suspension working as it should and 3K later i like it that way.
then again i am that guy who dated all the ugly chicks in high school and never had a complaint then ether ;]
shrubbo likes this.

The best part of growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geepers View Post
Someone posted the other day that they were finding their ride harsh so they wound their preload up not down. Their feeling was that the suspension was bottoming out and needed more support. I had been getting those nasty jolts up the spine and was thinking to soften my suspension but that post made sense to me. So I turned my preload up to the max too. BIG improvement. No more jolts and the bike seems more planted. I'm 93kg so as the OP said, this suspension was designed for lightweights. I can see now why Boris says in his review that the only thing he would upgrade on a Valk is the suspension:

Yeah that was me. It was a huge improvement. I have a bit of weight on you at 265 pounds (120kg) so I was bottoming out pretty hard with the preload set so low. Turning it up made it a whole new bike.

Last edited by KurNorock; 03-10-2019 at 05:20 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillPickle311 View Post
A couple of days ago, I turned is all the way up but it kept clicking after quite a number of turned way past 18.

Maybe it's my weight at around 250, but I can't really tell much difference. The ride is okay but seems the front wheel needs a little more softening. Overall, no complaints but not really seeing a cushy ride especially since roads here are pretty much crap.
If you were able to adjust the preload adjuster passed the maximum setting, that means that your preload adjuster is broken and you likely aren't changing anything by turning it. Which is why you don't notice a difference.

And it isn't your weight. I'm heavier than you by 15 lbs. I've also got 30 pounds of saddlebags and mounting brackets with a 12 pound security chain (in the bag) hanging off the back of my bike.

As far as the front goes, mine feels great. I've got no complaints.

Last edited by KurNorock; 03-10-2019 at 05:19 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I have found 12 clicks clockwise from soft to be the winner for me 38 psi front and rear (unless we are going to be riding the twisties then it's 14 total clicks clockwise) with gear I'm 200lbs
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:07 AM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HValkrider View Post
I have found 12 clicks clockwise from soft to be the winner for me 38 psi front and rear (unless we are going to be riding the twisties then it's 14 total clicks clockwise) with gear I'm 200lbs
spot on. same here. 12 clicks up from soft. works great.
from the dealer it was set to full firm and rode like sitting on a 2x6 going over RR trestles. beat the bejesus out of you. it took a couple of adjustments to find the sweet spot, firm not soft.
if the suspension is not floating, it aint working. the purpose of it is to keep the wheel /tire planted on the road while you fly above it. Set too firm, the tire doesn't keep consistent contact with the pavement.

Ursus Horribilus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page