Battery Tender usage - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Battery Tender usage

In my 30+ years of riding and owning motorcycle, I have never used a battery tender. I bought one about a month ago to use with my other Honda motorcycle. Today I finally got around to hooking it up. Do I leave it connected all the time? The last guy who owned the bike always had it on a tender, but when I got it I had to put a new battery in and put on a new rectifier. Once this bike is sold, I will use it on the Valkyrie. I don't ride but about once or twice a month at the moment so the bikes really just sit in the garage. But I want to make sure that when i do want to ride, they are ready. Are you guys using one? What are your thoughts on them?
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
I have one but have rarely used it.

In your case, you should keep it connected to your bike.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
I have one, but I only use it in the winter. It is attached the whole time that it is in storage. Doesn't hurt the battery having it attached. If you don't ride much then it would be good to have it hooked up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I finally got around to reading my manual cover to cover today. It said not to use a standard car charger as it may burn up the electronics. But all the Battery Tender brand units seem to be universal. Shouldn't they be OK if they're 12 volt? I've been using them on my CTX and both VTX's for years without any problem. And it said never attempt to jump start the bike using a car battery for the same reason. So, how are you supposed to jump it? There's not always another bike around to jump from.

Richmonder

"There are no motorcycles in a psychiatrist's parking lot."

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
I've been using that brand for several years, and plug in whenever I'm not riding for more than a week or two, more so when the battery is older. I have the long SAE connection wire routed to the handlebars to make it easier to plug in the charging cable or to plug in a 4.8 amp waterproof double USB charger with digital voltmeter.

Perhaps the nature of the automatic trickle mode is why I've heard them recommended so often, but my limited understanding is that would be very bad for a Lithium battery (which develop memory and need to be exercised) for those few riders that go that direction.

2nd owner of 2014 Valkyrie

Previous Bikes:
66 Benelli (Montgomery Wards) 125 cc Riverside
74 Yamaha Enduro DT360
74 Honda CB450
76 Kawasaki KH500
77 Yamaha RD400
80 Kawasaki KX250
71 Honda CB750K1
82 Yamaha Virago XV750
'95 Honda Magna VF750CD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page