The "first to second" clunk - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 13Likes

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
The "first to second" clunk

Having only had my Valkyrie for a week I'm still experimenting with different techniques to minimise the first to second gear clunk. Would appreciate any tips. I've read posts by guys who say they just avoid first and always start in second. Yes, I could do that but the "stubborn" in me would still like to master this shift

Last edited by Geepers; 07-19-2018 at 05:54 AM.
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Preload the shifter is my tip. Apply a little bit of upward pressure before touching the clutch and just keep that same pressure during the shift. It just snicks into second that way, no clunk.
wgold9722 and use2b like this.

Peter
IBA#486

Other bikes: Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FJR1300, Triumph Tiger 955i, BMW G650GS.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX-34 View Post
Preload the shifter is my tip. Apply a little bit of upward pressure before touching the clutch and just keep that same pressure during the shift. It just snicks into second that way, no clunk.
Yep, thanks for that. I think that's as good as it can get. I'm still trying to get rid of even the "snick" … ie like you can achieve in all the other upshifts if you get everything right…just a completely noiseless, notchless shift. Probably a big ask to try and get it from first to second though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I think all my bikes have a 1st to 2nd "clunk". Or at least youll feel a longer throw to 2nd with a slight clunk. My Valk has it.But if I was to gripe any about the gl1800c gear box it would be how short 1st gear is. My first ride out the lot I spun the rear onto the street. However it was also a sign I got the right bike.. 😆😆😆
wgold9722 likes this.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I do first to second because I paid all that money so I am going to use it but the thing will not even care slightly less if you start in second. 1st gear is for pulling Goldwings with trailers or towing a car.

Anyway on mine I have found it much prefers not to have the clutch pulled in all the way when doing such things.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubbo View Post
Anyway on mine I have found it much prefers not to have the clutch pulled in all the way when doing such things.
Yeah, same. And on my previous bike too (Suzuki Boulevard 800). Go figure...
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubbo View Post
Yeah, same. And on my previous bike too (Suzuki Boulevard 800). Go figure...

Ditto. And I use the same technique for all other upshifts (mild upward toe pressure to "preload" while pulling the clutch in smoothly, but not all the way, until you snick it in). You also get the pleasurable feeling of "doing it right" in the mechanical interaction, much like a perfect heel-toe technique in a sports car while shifting and braking.
shrubbo and use2b like this.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

"...much like a perfect heel-toe technique in a sports car while shifting and braking."

Or double-clutching in an old truck You're right - the pleasure of "doing it right" by the bike (mechanical empathy) is superb. That's what I try to do with every action on every ride. Great feeling. And good for your bike's longevity no doubt!
shrubbo likes this.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I used the honda red bottle full synthetic oil at the first 4K mile oil change. The bike overall ran smoother including shifts.
shrubbo and Geepers like this.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Yeah mine seems to love synthetic. Not so much difference at the start (not that I can tell) but near the end of the oil life the shifting is significantly smoother.
Geepers likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page