The joy of riding - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
The joy of riding

I've had a heavy flu and haven't been able to get the bike out. "Never mind, it's not a matter of life and death" says the wife, a bit sick of my complaining. "Actually, you're right" I say after a moment's reflection, "it's much more serious than that." My (grown up) daughter asks me why I'm so obsessed with riding. "Do you remember what it felt like to go out on your bicycle when you were a kid?" I ask. "Sure, freedom" she says. "Well, that." It's a beautiful thing we do guys. And a privilege. Never take it for granted. You don't have to ride fast and scrape pegs. Just being out there on two wheels in the open air is reward enough. Like being on a bicycle, remember?
BigHeart likes this.

Last edited by Geepers; 11-06-2019 at 03:35 AM.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geepers View Post
I've had a heavy flu and haven't been able to get the bike out. "Never mind, it's not a matter of life and death" says the wife, a bit sick of my complaining. "Actually, you're right" I say after a moment's reflection, "it's much more serious than that." My (grown up) daughter asks me why I'm so obsessed with riding. "Do you remember what it felt like to go out on your bicycle when you were a kid?" I ask. "Sure, freedom" she says. "Well, that." It's a beautiful thing we do guys. And a privilege. Never take it for granted. You don't have to ride fast and scrape pegs. Just being out there on two wheels in the open air is reward enough. Like being on a bicycle, remember?

Well said! Love to be on the bike as much as possible. Nothing beats the feeling of always being totally aware and connected to your surroundings. You see new sights every time even though you've been on that same road thirty years.
BigHeart likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
My (grown up) daughter asks me why I'm so obsessed with riding.
It's a drug that not everyone is privy to. There is no description that can truly help folks understand unless riding is something they have experienced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillPickle311 View Post
There is no description that can truly help folks understand unless riding is something they have experienced.
Very true. No matter how you try and explain it to someone else you're conscious that you haven't really captured it. I think part of that is because we don't really understand it ourselves. It's obviously a very deep thing. "Freedom" seems (to me) to be the best one-word descriptor but, yeah, it's something more than that. You're right. You have to do it to truly get it. And then you'll feel the frustration of trying to explain to others why you do it I'm not so big on the "drug" terminology though. That has a bit of a negative connotation. For me, going for a ride is more akin to a mindfulness meditation - and that's always a positive, healthy thing.

Fan: "Mr Waller, what exactly is rhythm?"

Fats Waller: "If you have to ask, you 'aint got it."

Last edited by Geepers; 11-06-2019 at 06:45 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I'm not so big on the "drug" terminology though.
It has to be described this way... the affect riding has is beyond any mind altering chemical but of course the downside is suddenly being unable to ride. This is my experience recently due to valk being in body shop for about 11 weeks. I'm also about to lose it again due to long recovery after brain surgery next week.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Jambriwal
DillPickle
Just read your post. Hope everthing works out. Missing out on your Valk and stareing at sugery is a lot to carry.

Directions ? That's only the Manufacturer's opinion of the way this should be assembled.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 01:26 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
DillPickle, Hope everything goes smoothly with surgery and you're back in the saddle soon. The mishap on the bike is what led to finding the tumor and now that the bike is healed I have no doubt you will soon be to!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 11:13 PM

I sincerely appreciate the well wishes. Just had my last mri before surgery Tuesday and it was tiring.

Tomorrow is to be a 70 degree perfect day and will be my last chance to ride for a while. I'm going to try to make it memorable.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Hey DillPickle
Hope all goes well tomorrow.
Heal fast and so you can drive faster.
Good Luck.

Let's Ride
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Good luck on the surgery and a speedy recovery. Don't let the saddle get cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page