• 1 Post By Geepers
  • 1 Post By Poncho
  • 1 Post By shrubbo
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Committing to commuting

I've been on again, off again about this. I've finally decided to commit to it. It's a 120km daily ride that I don't otherwise get. We're blessed with a fantastic climate where I live (think SoCal) so there's really no excuse to not commute all year round. That, and the fact that I now have a Gucci Bodybag to keep me safe as I slide along the tarmac into the work parking lot at 100kmh each morning, have convinced me that, at age 60, I need to take every opportunity I can to ride as the clock is surely ticking. It actually frees up lots of time to do other things too coz you're not always going for leisure rides. A decent length commute each day scratches that itch. It has it's down sides though: (a) it slightly diminishes the pleasure of riding knowing that work awaits you at the end and (b) it can diminish your work too as it can almost makes you resent the work that drags you off your bike each morning (OK,maybe it's just me). Anyway, I've decided the downsides are less than the ups, so a-commutin' I will go.
bparish likes this.

Last edited by Geepers; 09-16-2019 at 03:14 AM.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Don't do it geep!!! I hear there is a commuter virus out there...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:21 PM
Vic

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Do it! I have been commuting on the bike for 10+ years. Currently I am doing about 95 miles/day (150 km). In S. FL it's raining hard from late June to late Sept. in the afternoon. Tropical downpours where it rains sideways and you won't be able to see shxxt on the Interstate any more. During those 3 months, I only take the bike on the days where less than 40% chance of rain is predicted. Still get caught in the rain quite a bit, but it's killing me when I am forced to drive my truck to work. During the rest of the year I ride the bike pretty much every day to work. It really helps with getting out of bed in the morning, knowing you can ride. Besides, my bike fills up for 12-14 bucks, and my truck for $85, No brainer here!

V.W.F.
2012 Harley Road King
2005 BMW R 1200 GS
2014 Valkyrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

I like too how commuting changes your relationship with your bike...ie becomes more a work tool than a "precious object". For people like me that's good
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Good on you but not for me. My baby sits in the garage waiting for me to pull it out Friday evening getting it ready for Saturday. I do not in any way wish to sully the poor thing with work. Exactly the opposite to Geepers haha.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:00 AM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubbo View Post
Good on you but not for me. My baby sits in the garage waiting for me to pull it out Friday evening getting it ready for Saturday. I do not in any way wish to sully the poor thing with work. Exactly the opposite to Geepers haha.
is why you need more than one pair of titties to play with. a beater for mixing it up with the commies all week and a rocket for getting away from them on the weekend. or just sit home and put a shine on your titties?
shrubbo likes this.

Ursus Horribilus
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
These bikes make great commuters. Even in California lane splitting. They're portly but they'll do it. Plenty PLENTY torque to go, agile and best of all the brakes. And with any type of luggage system you can haul your crap around with ease. I have mine dressed up(sadly hiding that single swing arm) and it works great.
Commuting at night is decent but fitting the foglights on these makes it much much better. Another great thing is the motor isn't throwing off much heat. Some here say it does but nothing compared to any sportbike. Basic maintenance like changing oil is a sinch and the valves on these can go much further than Honda suggests unless you're taking this thing to the drag strip.
I'd go any commute on this unless you're taking it on dirt. Tried it. Not recommended..

14 Valkyrie
02 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
02 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura
07 Yamaha YZF-R6
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Hehe I love dirt on the Valk. Skip to 14:00, beware probably a bit of bad language in there somewhere

https://youtu.be/qFly_b6ZjVs
Rich Wentz likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Well, after a solid month of it I have to say commuting suits me very much. As someone else said, it gets ya springin' out of bed in the morning By the time I get home again, I've done around 160km (I take the long way round ) and am equally happy to park it up for the day. The other pay off is that I no longer feel the need to ride weekends and that's giving me more time with Mrs Geepers. I know others feel differently, but I'm loving it. Scratches the itch for me...

Last edited by Geepers; Today at 06:01 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Quote:
Scratches the itch for me...
Your the guy that never gets sick of riding. You find the thrill in it all. You enjoy your life. The valky is a tool that adds depth and meaning. You don't need to find another outlet. You're content!

You would still feel this way even if you did not type about it or tell another soul.

I'm that guy still waiting for my machine that is in the body shop for going on 9 weeks. Told today I will need a pace maker. After this, get a tumor removed from my brain. Tomorrow I will be 61.

Guess what? I'm as happy as can be. I have no fears with all of this. I have been on some very good rides. I know I'll get to ride again just not sure when. Nope! This doesn't mean I have lots of patience. I only have no choice so I pull up my big boy panties and shuffle on.

I love to see folks that are happy riders. Good for you geepers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List