Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Heh I thought Victory shut up shop and then I saw the date
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Yeah, sad. They clearly had some good designers working there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I owned a Victory Cross Country that I sold to buy my Valkyrie. Great bikes and a great motor. Parts availability started to become scarce so I decided to let it go and switch to the Valkyrie.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Did Victory basically port their engines over to the Indian line ? With cosmetic differences of course .........
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:34 PM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
Did Victory basically port their engines over to the Indian line ? With cosmetic differences of course .........
two totally different engines and chassis. same Polaris engineers.. vics are overhead cam sears towers. injuns are pushrod overhead valves designed to look like 40s flat heads. other than the engineers that designed both, they share nothing in common. Vics struggled to build the brand and gain acceptance as an American built machine. Injuns legacy and state of art engineering, a huge departure from hardley ableson, the market was wide open for recapture. it was just a business decision to put energy and resources into a winning formula than to continue to nurse a struggling brand. Vics made some good bikes. anybody with some spare change should pic up a new(er) one and squirrel it away. it will be a collector item in a decade from now when all the ridden ones are worn out.
Hot Rod likes this.

Ursus Horribilus
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho View Post
two totally different engines and chassis. same Polaris engineers.. vics are overhead cam sears towers. injuns are pushrod overhead valves designed to look like 40s flat heads. other than the engineers that designed both, they share nothing in common. Vics struggled to build the brand and gain acceptance as an American built machine. Injuns legacy and state of art engineering, a huge departure from hardley ableson, the market was wide open for recapture. it was just a business decision to put energy and resources into a winning formula than to continue to nurse a struggling brand. Vics made some good bikes. anybody with some spare change should pic up a new(er) one and squirrel it away. it will be a collector item in a decade from now when all the ridden ones are worn out.
Saw a little article on the subject ......interesting stuff..... :

Polaris had a new motor ready to go for the Victory baggers, but was willing to wait to see what harley was going to do with their new 2017 motor first. Harley came out with the unexpected performance based 4 valve Milwaukee 8 motor and threw Polaris a little curve ball. Polaris had (said) new performance motor ready to go for the new Victory baggers, but may have thought it best to re-dress the new motor for future Indian baggers instead. Staying ahead of Harley in the motor department will always be near the top of the list IMO. I'll even bet the Victory Octane motor was held back a year or two so Polaris could finish designing the Indian Scout. Surly the motor was already R&D'd and Polaris was very smart to hold it back from a Victory bike to get it in an Indian first. The Scout was born and it sold much stronger with an Indian badge on the tank over a very similar Victory badged bike...the writing was now on the wall.

Harley's new motor is a gem IMO (I own one) and Polaris was/is sitting on this new Freedom 4 valve 120 ci performance motor that was due for the new Vics (Performance Baggers). Victory had been laying down some serious marketing for the new direction for the Victory Baggers prior to the demise of the brand. The thought process was if Polaris were to put this new motor in a Victory first, it will lose some of allure by the time we trickle it down/up to the Indian brand. A choice needed to be made...Polaris took notice to how well received the Scout was in relation to the tweaked Victory Octane version and the choice was simple. Consumers want Indian branded bikes more the Victory branded bikes even with the same motor.

This new Polaris developed motor (for Victory initially) should now become the new heartbeat for future Indian big twins. Both Harley and Polaris need to continue to try to capture younger buyers and embrace technology going forward to stay the course. Polaris was smart to bring the Indian brand back in it's nostalgic glory and true to heritage of Indian motorcycles initially. Going forward we need to see the Indian brand morph into a slightly more updated mainstream look. Fender skirts and old school looks will slowly give way to more modern looking bikes with the Indian badge still proudly on the tank. Don't you think if Indian never went out of business that it would have evolved to fit today's market? It's only when you bring back an old brand from the dead that you have to stay true to it's roots for brand recognition initially. Once the public knows who you are, you then must evolve just like any other brand whether it's Apple or Ford. If you don't evolve you simply die. Consumers want Indian, but they want a current Indian that doesn't have to always look like it's from the early 1900's IMO. Just my two cents.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 04:53 PM

Polaris had Injun under its wing in 010. it had been studying the brand for what made it an icon and working that look and feel into it state of art engineering of that motor for 4 years before it released 014s. Vics were good motors and bikes. they just did not capture enough market share to warrant all the capital required to keep it in black ink. all the while Injun was stomping on hardleys chunk of change. it was an ez move for many other than the most die hard hardley'ites to switch to Injun.. Vics just never got a lot traction with that crowd. biz is biz and Polaris made decision to put all their eggs in one basket. regardless of the badge it wears, it is the engineering that will either succeed or fail in the market place.

Ursus Horribilus
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:07 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Here is my 2012 Victory Cross Roads. 117,000 trouble free miles and counting
with only normal maintainence. A great comfortable bike that has never left me stranded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0441_1568513207955.jpg (120.6 KB, 10 views)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLLOU View Post
Here is my 2012 Victory Cross Roads. 117,000 trouble free miles and counting with only normal maintainence. A great comfortable bike that has never left me stranded.
SL, I rode my nephews each had one. I think they got them to specifically to irritate their dad after he went all hardley ablesome on us. very nice bikes, well built and powerfully strong. Polaris did a great job of engineering on those things. its a shame that the public just didn't embrace the brand in greater numbers. it was still earning its place when the rug got pulled. I should have picked one up several years ago was entertaining a street muscle bike, the judge? or another version like that. they soon will be collectors item and definitely there is enough of them in circulation, will be a cult before long.

Ursus Horribilus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page