an Essay on Good Energy Management - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
an Essay on Good Energy Management

the Rules of the Road, or better known as the Laws of the Universe, well more precise Physics 101. Newton described Kinetic Energy aka Motion as the Mass (weight) of an Object x its Velocity (speed) has a measurable amount of KEnergy and will continue in a Straight Line unless acted upon by other force(s). Einstien gave us E=MCsq. that All Energy and Mass are convertible and Nothing is ever lost. It just changes state of being.
ok, so what thehell does that have to do with riding your bike. Everything. whether you know it or not. If you honor the rules(color inside the lines), they work for you. if you don't, they will bite you in the ass. I have taken some advanced riding courses and most of it comprises of sitting in a classroom and taking notes from a white board and watching videos. How KE moves from the back of your bike to the front and then back again. If not properly managed this occilation will dump yourass on the pavement. More importantly , was the lesson on Traction, adherence of the Tires and loading and unloading them.. what are their limits and how do you manage this?

but what I want to write about is proper and efficient use of braking control which is a subset of the Traction lecture.

When you and your bike(Mass) are traveling at some given speed(Velocity) you have inherent a given/measurable amount ok KE present. You will continue to travel in the direction you are pointed until/unless other forces are introduced to DIMINISH that quantity of KE you are carrying. we tend to just call it our speed.
Obviously we don't ride in a vacuum, so Air density and atmospheric forces are continually degrading our KE, Pavement /Tire contact friction also is subtracting from this Total KE. is why we have to keep applying engine force to overcome these losses.
But when it comes time to Forcefully SLOW down and perhaps eventually Stop, we must bring additional forces to bear to Diminish / Reduce our Kinetic Energy value, otherwise we will just continue to move in that straight line.
This is ONLY accomplished by Converting our KE to another form of energy aka HEAT. This conversion process and the Loss of KE IS what slows you down and eventually you may stop. nothing else is going on. So managing this process is Critical to efficient and Effective Control of your rolling missiles.

Brakes do this best. They require that the wheels keep rolling so that the Brake Disc can convert KE to Heat via Friction from the brake pads and their calipers. In order for the wheels to keep rolling, the Tires MUST maintain good Traction with the pavement. You must be careful to NOT Overload them and cause them to Lose Traction and quit Rolling (aka skid). When this happens, the Brakes ability to convert KE to Heat goes to ZERO and you quit slowing down, but you have also introduced another Bad element is that you lose Directional control as well. You are no longer the pilot of your cruise missile , but rather just 200lbs of baggage along for the ride. it will be a short one.

ABS. anti lock brake systems. are wonderful in a panic situation. they monitor wheel rotation and will not allow you to over come traction. when they sense the wheel is not rotating the ABS system will release the brakes allowing the wheels to keep turning. this is all done in micro seconds , such that all you feel is the hammering of the system releasing and reapplying full brake pressure. Maximum KE to heat conversion w/o losing Traction or directional control.

Engine braking. the use of the motor compression to reduce speed. This can be done at any speed while in the gear you are currently riding in by just rolling off the throttle. Your KE will be directed thru the tranny into the motor and instead of the Energy flowing from the pistons thru the tranny to the wheels and tires, the energy is flowing the other direction and the pistons are absorbing this KE and making heat via compression w/o the use of burning additonal fossil fuels. It is just a big Air Pump compressing intake air making heat energy. aka you slow down a fair amount. this is acceptable method of losing some speed as everything is already in state of synchronization and you are not likely to lose traction or control.

which brings us to this Fun'on'imum we call down shifting. it is the further use of the engine to convert our KE to heat and thereby reduce our speed w/o or in conjunction with our brake systems. Because of the ability of the motor to overcome the entire driveline right down to the tires at the pavement, it requires judicious use and skillful application otherwise you risk the loss of traction and control. So even tho down shifting affects us via feed back of the motor HOWLING and our sense of control , we are on the edge of being out of control, coloring on the lines, often outside the box. This is not an efficient or effective way to manage your KE but it does get the job done . Until it doesn't . you don't know / wont know where that line is until you cross it. good luck with that.

Synopsis. you can enjoy your low altitude flying machine in all kinds of environments and for long time, long life, you and your machine, if you Learn to color inside the lines. that is why you bother to go to all these advance riding schools. fortunately and unfortunately we become what we practice. if it is riding on the edge of control, well we get what we pay for. or not? poncho

Ursus Horribilus

Last edited by Poncho; 07-28-2019 at 11:02 AM.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
AAllllllrightyyy then...............
😕
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Poncho's off his meds again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geepers View Post
as expected, nothing of value to add

Ursus Horribilus
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
They must control dillusions of grandeur
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:43 PM

“As expected, nothing of value to add...”

OK, fair call. How about this then:

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” (Leonardo da Vinci)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
OK, fair call. How about this then: “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” (Leonardo da Vinci)
ok, fair call. how about this then; "Simply squeeze your hand and foot brake and leave the gear shift and rev match nonsense alone".

Ursus Horribilus
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:18 AM

Almost. You just forgot to preface it with “I prefer to...”
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Almost. You just forgot to preface it with “I prefer to...”
we already know what "You prefer to" push the limits and the boundaries.. until, you cross the line.
I wrote an Essay, it didn't require any response or even rebuttal unless you think that there is Error in my writing or you have additional Truth to add to it. but no, you prefer to write drivel about me personally and not about what I had to say.. this shows shallowness. It is fine to have fun with each other , reasonably, in context. You wrote your head was like a loaf of bread. I described a loaf of bread and asked, Like this?

What I wrote, in simple terms is, the ONLY way to scrub off speed is to convert your Speed to Heat. there are only 2 processes available to you on your bike to achieve this. the Brakes Systems (designed specifically for this) and Engine Compression (not designed specifically for this). either of these methods are dependent upon the Weakest Link in the process chain, TRACTION of the tires at the Pavement.. you don't have control of this Variable, it can change at any moment and you can go from being in control (illusion) to being Not in control (reality). Engine compression aka downshifting is ripe that the motor can easily overcome the driveline right down to the tires traction on the pavement. It is not the best method of scrubbing off speed and should only be used to supplement your brakes when it is safe to do so.

I wrote that we become the product of our habits. what we practice, what we do, is what we automatically do even under Poor Operating Conditions. aka Rain, Sand, loose gravel, etc. if you train yourself to use Engine Compression as your Go To method of converting speed into heat, you will reap what you sow. one day the piper will call and make you pay for your errors. you will becoming intimate with the pavement. Its not a matter of IF but When.

Good Energy Management, aka good riding habits are about staying in control. Knowing what your machine can do and requires and developing motor skills to "color inside the lines".

"I prefer to" utilize Good Energy Management and get the most out of my machines and riding experiences. I share my experiences with you all that you "might" pick up on something of value and put it in your portfolio. if you choose to either ignore or dismiss , that is your prerogative.. life is full of lessons. we don't all learn at the same rate. or should I say curve. poncho

Ursus Horribilus
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho View Post
It is fine to have fun with each other , reasonably...
I thought we were. Like you saying my head is full of air pockets. I took that as fun too. Oh well, I guess I better tread more carefully. Message received El Capitan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page