Banana - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 15Likes

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Banana

Hey all, been a while. Like 4 months.

Binned it and did not want to come back here until it was all a memory and I had got myself back together.

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Wow, small slip up, huge disruption to so many lives. Great video that hopefully makes us all reflect. Good to have you back!
shrubbo likes this.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 06:35 AM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Yikes ! Orange ya glad ya didn't hit that guard rail ? your rear end looks like it locked up skidded first.. is that pavement wet ? just how fast was you going when allhell busted loose ? these slo mos are hard to interpret. good to see you are still sucking wind , are you back at it yet ? riding. give us the skinny in text format for the hearing impaired challenged among us.. probably 50% of the field. poncho
shrubbo likes this.

Ursus Horribilus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Glad you are still with us. After watching the video I don't see what caused you to lose control. What were conditions like? Keep riding and stay safe.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I would think that braking into even a gentle curve is a rookie move, and Shrubbo is no rookie.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:12 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Looks like someone already hit the guard rail in the same spot where you went down. That says to me that it is a dangerous part of the road. You did a great job not hitting the guard rail and you would have recovered if not for the crap on the side of the road.
Glad to hear that you healed up well.
shrubbo and KUGO like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
And what a great way to tell a lousy story! Thanks for sharing it with us. I also noticed the pre-bent guardrail and that you really didn't hit. I really thought you (and not too many others would have) had half a chance to save it until the very, very end. Glad you've had good family and friends to help and support. Welcome home.
shrubbo likes this.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
“I would think that braking into even a gentle curve is a rookie move...”

Not necessarily. Racers do it on EVERY curve. Done right it’s fine.
shrubbo likes this.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

If you want to really know what is going on the reverse view tells the whole story but I will explain what and why. This is also why I just disappeared. An awful lot was a miserable time and dealing with the internet was not one of my priorities.

First up the tire that was on the back was new but scrubbed in. About 130k on it by that time and had no issues up through the mountains until that corner. We are talking peg scraping for reference. It was however a tire I do not prefer (Metzeller 888). I am not a fan of the grip levels in the wet but I never considered it dangerous, just not a preference. They just didn't "feel" right as well. I only put it on the day before because it was all I could get at short notice and I literally said "Oh well it will keep me out of trouble".

Second it was a rainy day but that should not be an issue. I ride all weather conditions and generally don't have a problem. From time to time wheels on bikes slip. No big deal. I have never been in a situation before where I could not recover as in this case, multiple losses of traction.

Third carrying some speed but nothing I considered excessive and below posted speed limit. If I told you I have ridden that corner hundreds of times I do not think I would be exaggerating too much. I bet you I go slower in future though.

So onto the accident. Watch the rear camera view and it tells the story. Watch the bars. No lies told there.

As I tip into the corner I lose traction at the rear. No big deal. You can see the bars shudder but it has got my attention.

The second was was a big deal. Now I know I was in real trouble and it felt like time had slowed down. It felt like it went through my mind a dozen times "do not hit the rail... do not hit the rail.. do not hit the rail". Its no BS, it feels like time slows. Anyway you see the bar come right down in almost a highside situation. The front is fine, I got nothing on the back. There was no lock up. The problem was no traction. Not brakes, just traction gone.

The third event it you can see I am just on the edge of holding this thing but I am coxing it away from the rail. "do not hit the rail... do not hit the rail.. do not hit the rail" and I got it stable but I am still on a lean because I have to and all out of road. Mud, grass and debris from the last poor ******* means that front washed out instantly and hard. Crushed my foot and then snapped it backwards.

Yes the brake light was lit. No the back was not locked up. I ride most of the time with the front brake covered and more so in sketchy conditions. There was some brake pressure because I wanted to wash off speed but no way was there rear pressure. There was no question in my mind about where the problem was so there was no rear brake application. I felt I only had traction the front (Commander II's ftw) because that is the only place there was traction.

It was 3.5 seconds from first loss of traction to the front wheel washing out. To me it seemed way longer than that. I knew what was going on the whole time. There was no target fixation, quite the opposite. My whole world was dedicated to missing that rail and at the very least I did.

Honestly I could get here and give whatever excuse or any reason but at the end of the day I did the best I could in the circumstances. If someone could do better in the same situation then they simply are better then me and I am sure there is plenty of people like that but show the video or you know, you got nothing

Last edited by shrubbo; 08-31-2019 at 12:04 AM.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

BTW I'm back riding obviously but we cut it short today due to complications with the injury. I got deep vein thrombosis the other day because lucky me but caught it and being treated so with luck all will be well eventually. Just happy to be riding with my friends again. You can tell we have a great time.

Also the speed was 69 in an 80 zone on a posted 45 corner. You can actually see the speedo click to 69 just as the rear goes. As I mentioned we have done that corner many many times in wet and dry so up until that point that speed was not an issue. That time it clearly was with whatever combination of factors you want to pull out. Mistakes were made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page