Poncho and the RedBaron vs the world - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Poncho and the RedBaron vs the world

Just a little 9 day excursion to wring out this new sled. Yesterday, packed out , wheels up at 6am. All 2 lane backroads form Austin tx to Chama nm. 814 mostly smiles 14 hours in the saddle. Ouch! Not exactly Iron Butt, more like copper or brass butt. Doable butt painful, no patch no badge, just knowing what I can will do.
Avg 75mph I tried different fuel to see any difference. I got varied 46 to 50 depending on wind, speed and I am now pushing this snow plow batwing up front. I will continue to test diff fuels this trip will be mostly mountain riding. I got the longest miles out of 93 octane, still 250. Shortest range 230 on 83.
The batwing performed flawlessly. Reduced the insect population tremendously, saving me that job. A big pocket of calm air behind it, allows me to sit upright and relax. a better seat and lower back rest would be the cats anus. A throttle lock is needed.
Ok, today I head up into Colorado Rockies. Creede, blue Mesa, black canyon, and beyond. Pics if I can post from this eye patch,, er pad. poncho
Crabballs, Geepers, use2b and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Poncho; 06-29-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
What you up to, Poncho? didn't see any updates after that first one? are you doing ok buddy?
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Fotos, por favor.

14 Valkyrie
02 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
02 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura
07 Yamaha YZF-R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Pinch?
You can’t do one of these types of treads and not post anything especially pics in 4 **** days.

We got nuthin else to do but look for your arse. 😄
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Sorry poncho. On my phone. Besides we care more about pics and you checkin in rather than freakin gas mileage.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Spotty service in most back road caves. I didn’t think this first post took. So never bothered to look. I just arrived back at my old fav Chama inn. So tomorrow I have that 814 mile run in front of me again. I will give it the old college try. But if I come up short, will make this a ten day run. Lots of Details and stories to follow. Pix when home, can move them from fone to “puter to you. First I need a frosty cold wet beer. ponchout
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Wentz View Post
Fotos, por favor.
Rw, I sent a few to your fone. These otter guys will have suffer a bit longer till I get home 2 more days. I have been foto logging my fuel this trip. Ever since chama have been getting mixed tanks of No Ethanol and 10% corn cobbs in my gas. Altitude? Varying speed 45-75? Going downhill half the time? I am getting 60+mpg consistently all week, 3k smiles worth so far. 300 miles per refill, 5 gal is all I can shove in her. I did run 1/2 tank at 80-90mph chasing a Honda st1300 across empty Wyoming desert. I only got 50mpg that tank refill. I quit chasing him 20 miles out of rock springs and settled into lawful 75mph. Smokey had him pinned at edge of town. They must have been exchanging face plant , er book, addresses ? poncho
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Brass Butt 2x. I did haulass all 814 not very smileage home yesterday. arrived 10pm. so now I officially have 2 brass buttocks and they feel just like that. I will say that the first one was more pleasant inasmuch as I started out fresh and at 6am pull out in the cool morning air. I was halfway across the desert by time the temps got oppressive. Having pushed that hard, day 2 I paid for it as my back barked like a stinkin dingo (for the aussies) and only rode ~250 miles. thru some of the best mountain scenery and not being able to enjoy it as I was in that much pain. Early hotel check in and long sleep in a comfy bed rectified it.

the last day run to the barn. I faced the same challenge in reverse and knew what I had to do. I hit the ground early in cool air and rode out of the NM mountains out into the high mountain desert. Cross winds and Head winds, I pushed hard at 75 to make miles before the sun got its dander up. which it did. by noon I was roasting. even pulling off layers, there was no relief. I stopped only for fuel and bite to eat midday. I pushed hard trying to put miles behind me. By early evening I was too close to home to pull over and get hotel, but yet still had 4 hours ride to get done. Just as I exited I-40 at Sweetwater Tx to take backroads home (I hate riding Interstates and among noisy stinky wind turbulent trucks that cant maintain steady speed) Jesus answered my prayers for relief and the sky opened up and dropped a truck load of Cold Wet Showers.. just on me.. no where else. Blue skies all around, I was getting the primo treatment. I pulled over, parked, undressed and just stood there getting soaked and enjoying every moment of it. I even dug out a mildly cool beer and let that cool my core temp and ease my noggin.
but perserverance is the ticket to getting it done. so I pressed on. two hours later the sun low, the temps eased up enough even though I would be riding after dark soon. I don't like to and avoid riding at night if at all possible. too many bad things happen in the dark. but I did it. got all the way home in one piece and nobody died. not on my watch anyway.

So what is the lesson, take away from this part of this trip? each day ride should be no more than 500 miles = 10 hours saddle time plus adequate time for Lengthy breaks, plenty of walking and don't put off drinking LOTS of water, ( I drank 4 quarts when I got home).
When in the mountains, 200-300 miles per day are plenty.
The Ride Home has always been my Achilles heal. I plan for 3 days 1500 miles, but push myself too hard and try for 2 days. It makes for not a good time riding at the end of a long trip , already exhausted. I think if I get home a day early, its time to decompress and unpack and put everything in order before returning to mundane life of fixing other peoples problems..
So maybe next time I will pace myself and get that last hotel 500 miles away and call it quits, save the last leg for the next day.. If I get too close too home, I think I can make it before dark. it hasn't happened yet , not once in 40years.. dammit! ponchout

Last edited by Poncho; 07-07-2019 at 12:34 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

some of ya'll have been whimpering for pix. I sat down and moved a few from the fone to the puter so you can see some of the places I traveled last week. 3.9k smiles worth. mostly. that last part did bite.
I did save them in smaller format to fit this teeny tiny box below. these are day 2 pix over the top of the rockies. before my back really started acting up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bear Tooth 10-14.jpg (84.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Bear Tooth 19-9.jpg (79.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Bear Tooth 19-7.jpg (92.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Bear Tooth 19-12.jpg (98.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Bear Tooth 19-14.jpg (86.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Bear Tooth 19-16.jpg (97.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Bear tooth 19-11.jpg (99.4 KB, 14 views)
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

ok so these micro size pix are useless.. lets try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bear Tooth 19-12.jpg (366.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Bear tooth 19-11.jpg (346.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Bear Tooth 19-15.jpg (296.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Bear Tooth 19-17.jpg (359.9 KB, 16 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page