Iron Butt Ride - 100CCC - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Iron Butt Ride - 100CCC

In a few hours I'm heading off on a four day ride on my '14 Valkyrie.

The bike is prepared with extra lights, highway pegs, 20L jerry can for the overnight stretches and a Yamaha FJR1300 screen bolted up front to keep the freezing temps at bay.

Here's a SPOTWALLA link for the journey:
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...=0&showAll=yes

And a couple of maps to show scale:

My plan is to ride from Newcastle to Port Augusta to Darwin and back.

On the Euro map that is like Istanbul to Rome to John O'Groats and back.

USA map Savannah Georgia to Oklahoma City to somewhere like Prince Albert in Saskatchewan Canada and back.

Here goes...........

Peter
IBA#486

Other bikes: Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FJR1300, Triumph Tiger 955i, BMW G650GS.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Enjoy the ride! May the wind be at your back and the rain a day behind you.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Firefight100
How many miles is that? That looks to be tuff to do in 4 days. And I am a tuff rider too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Firefight100
In the USA we can do whats called the four corners ride. Iron Butt Assoc gives you 21 days to complete it at around 85-- to 9500 miles.

"U.S.A. Four Corners Tour by Michael Kneebone
The Four Corners rules are simple, you have 21 days to ride your motorcycle to these four cities around the country; Blaine, Washington, Madawaska, Maine, Key West, Florida and San Ysidro, California. You may start in any one of the corners, any time of year that you want, taking any route you wish.
SCMA data shows that the average rider in 1998 (the 15th year of the event) booked 8,053 miles on the tour, but this figure does NOT include the distance from your home to the first corner and back. Expect a minimum of 8,500 miles round trip on the shortest route. If you want to see more than countless miles of boring interstate highways, plan on adding a 1,000 miles or so to the basic route."
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 12:31 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
I would be worried about that can of gas right behind me while driving. If you got into an accident you could be covered in fuel. I would want something tougher than plastic.

Have fun and try not to look like Ghost Rider.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Back home in a bit over the allowed 100 hours. Distance was 8650km/ 5372miles.

Only about 100 miles of interstate/freeway conditions in total.

I wasn't worried about the gas can. I have had a bunch of bikes with fitted and plumbed auxiliary fuel tanks, but this was my longest distance with that particular set-up. Great back-rest with that Airhawk cushion stuck on the jerry cam though.

I'll post up a report in the next few days.
Agent Franks likes this.

Peter
IBA#486

Other bikes: Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FJR1300, Triumph Tiger 955i, BMW G650GS.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Amazing. Well done sir.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Looks pretty amazing. Great job.

Agent Franks
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Here's the ride report:

It was pretty short notice, but I realised I had some time off to go for a ride for four days - umm, starting tomorrow. A quick check of the weather, packed a pannier liner with some gear, off to the shed for a bit of eeny-meeny-miny-moe with my stable of bikes and lo and behold its the Valkyrie. Tops. I buckled a 20litre jerry can onto the back and went to bed for some shut-eye.

On the road with a pic across from my place:

Then a start docket at Newcastle West at 04:22hr AEST (22088km odo, 0km on the GPS), a slurp of iced coffee and I was off into the dark heading due west. This time of the morning there is a steady flow of coal miners in HiLuxes for company for a couple of hours, but otherwise not much else. I had heated grips, a heated vest plugged in and for good measure I'd bolted on a spare FJR1300 screen to help keep some of the cold at bay. It was pretty cold early on, too. I even started to fog my visor despite having a pinlock insert in use. I had to pull over, remove the visor and reseat the pinlock because with the fog trapped inside it was terrible for visibility.

A quick pause at Mendooran to pour in 20 litres and soon enough things were feeling routine as I stopped for a pic for my nephew 'Nevertire' Nic:

First proper fuel stop at Nyngan (11:14hr, 544km, 31.57L)

Then I just settled in to the wide open spaces and 110km/h zones of the Barrier Highway, the Valkyrie just humming along. Another jerry can stop somewhere or other, then Broken Hill just before dark (1742hr, 1134km, 36.0L).

There had been the usual butcher shop array of roadkill between Wilcannia and the Hill and the carcasses continued well into South Australia. I stopped for a leak in Yunta and continued with the fluids theme topping up the tank with 98. I'd fitted a torch on a RAM mount pointing directly down into the filler and I must say it came in handy when wrestling with the 'Airhawked' 20 litre jerry can in the dark.

I passed through Horrocks and had fun in the bends, then with a nod to Davo I was soon enough in Port Augusta (22:47hr AEST, 1543km, 25.18L). It was cold again here and just above zero. I broke my rules and stopped long enough for a hot coffee in the warm servo lounge and pulled my helmet apart again because of fogging. I noticed that there was a huge gap between the pinlock and the visor proper. Is it any wonder it fogged up? I've never noticed that before, but a twist of one of the pins and a more careful placement and it sat down well enough.

At the western end of town I made a right turn onto the Stuart Highway, the only road I'd see for the next 2700km and settled in for a long night of kangaroo spotting. Thankfully there weren't many about. The odd tap of the brakes but no close calls. Just me and a handful of roadtrains out, time passed easily enough and I reached Coober Pedy at 0523hr (2086km, 28.21L). I'd planned to have a longer break here and maybe a nap, but the coffee prevented that. Another hundred kays or so later I did pull over though, into a nice wide open rest area and I could make out a picnic shed in the moonlight as a bonus. Weird shed though. I'd grabbed my little poncho/groundsheet and wandered in to the 'shed' only to find that it only had a gravel floor, no bench and the walls on the shed started a metre or so off the ground.

Basically I was outside inside. Never mind, I slept easily enough and woke to a typically wiiiide outback dawn:

I was glad to be back out this way, its been a while.

Approaching Erldunda Roadhouse I looked at the huge line of grey nomads with caravans at the fuel pumps and decided to push on through the glorious meandering and even undulating part of the highway through here. I ran the numbers in my head and cut things pretty fine, pulling in to Stuarts Well (12:21hr, 2682km, 37.62L) where it is much quieter.

No need to stop in Alice Springs, I just grabbed a pic instead:

I pulled over just north of town at the Tropic of Capricorn and made a couple of calls home.

Then rode along enjoying the 130km/h zone for a while. There's not much to say about these sections, but it is great for the head to just kick back and ride. A quick stop for the obligatory shot at the Devil's Marbles, though there seems to be much more fenced-off areas these days.

A nap at sundown in Tennant Creek (1850hr, 3280km, 37.58L). The last two fuel legs were barely under 600km and the Valkyrie was sipping fuel at 16km/L. Not bad for a larger bike - well over 370kg loaded and passing through space at 130km/h and much more economical than my skinny KLR650 at 110km/h.

I was surprised by the wildlife out and about. Counting on fingers I think prior to this trip I've ridden up here in the Northern Territory a half a dozen times, covered about 12000km and counted maybe 20 kangaroos. North of Tennant Creek I reckon I saw a couple of hundred just this night. Thankfully the roads have very wide verges, but I was reluctant to sit on 130km/h through the night. I pulled up in Daly Waters to fill the tanks, trying at first to use the auto card pumps but the place was still open so didn't need to (22:58hr AEST, 3678km, 25.69L). I also had to add layers because it was much colder than I expected this far north. A jerry can stop in a carpark in Katherine seemed of interest to the local constabulary, enough for them to pass by for a look a few times.
Back on the road. Its a simple 300km commute to Darwin from here, thankfully a bit warmer by the time I arrived, too.

Darwin (05:24hr AEST, 4268km).

No fill yet, its time for another nap.........

Peter
IBA#486

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

I continued south east down the arrow-straight Mitchell Highway heading for home. 99% of the time I turn left at Nevertire and then through Warren and Gilgandra. This night I thought I'd head home through the bright lights of Dubbo for a change. By now it was about minus 6C apparently, and I'd started to fog up the lower half of my visor. I was soon getting sick of the bumpy Mitchell and the trucks flashing me from 10 km away. I thought I'd pull over to read my GPS properly and plan my last few hours of the trip.

There was no traffic in sight so I pulled over on the wrong (right) side of the road so I could drop my wheels in the dirt and cut the engine but not the lights with the side stand on the tar so I'd be pretty upright. I kicked the stand, took my left hand off to tap the GPS and all **** broke loose. I guess I kicked down on the centre stand by mistake. The engine didn't cut. Its a big engine, with lots or torques in it.......

It shot straight off under its own steam, me holding the throttle but my left hand flapping in the breeze and me staring through fog at the little GPS screen wondering what the **** was happening. Straight down into the table drain, I gassed it a bit to bounce up and though the grass and into the bush, grabbing the left grip finally but not game to brake in the dirt and bushes. I could hear a loud aagh-AARGH-aagh-AAGH-AHHHHHGH noise filling my helmet. All I could see was the bright pinky white of the frost covered clumps of thigh high grass and weird-looking bushes in bold relief against the black of the night. It was like I was in an aquarium. At last I rolled to a stop ever fearful of dropping the mighty beast.

I looked around.

There's no way I could get off and push myself out of here. I was stuck an unknown distance from the road in great clumps of stuff. With the eye of faith I thought I could make out some wiggly car tracks up ahead, like maybe there was a side road I'd not noticed perhaps.... Bugger it. Feet up I bounced and wrestled away scraping through bushes until again with the eye of faith I thought I could make out the flat level road a bit up ahead. What, I've just about done a u-turn bouncing around in the scrub?!?! As I approached the grey 'road' I realised I was wrong. It was the railway line that appeared out of the black - running parallel to the road as it does - I'd been bouncing the wrong way. Bugger. I ran it up the slope toward the tracks a few times and jigged back and forth until I was pointing back where I came.

Oh well, here goes. I just plowed my way back the way I'd come through the scrub, bounced down through the tabledrain and emerged back out onto the Mitchell.

Off to my left I spied a car parked that I didn't see before. There was a guy in Hi-Viz in the front seat looking at me like I'd just come from Mars. "Hey mate, which way to Nevertire" I yelled. "West" he said. "Which way is west?" I yelled. He pointed. "Thanks mate".

I headed the few kays back to Nevertire. Stopped to have a drink and a leak. Was saddened to see my heated vest cord had snapped somewhere back in the bush. Rolled through Warren with kangaroos in the main street, and saw great mobs leaving as I left town.

I've had enough.

I turned back yet again and rolled in to a motel just on dawn. The lady said "do you need a nap?". Take room number 1 I'll see you later. Ahh, a hot shower, electric blanket and my ride was done.

Peter
IBA#486

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page