Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

Changing Tires

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  JackB 
#1 ·
I changed the tires yesterday I went with a set of Avon Cobra Chrome front AV91 120/70ZR19 and rear AV92190/60VR17
Walmart had them closed out for $201 for both back in February.
Front tire when off on on very easy but the rear tire, which should be easy was a pain in the butt, it's one size wider and I couldn't get the tire on, it was stuck between the wheel studs and the muffler after lots of turning, twisting and swearing I even let the air out of the tire which probably didn't help but somehow it went in. (So I don't know how a 200 tire fits.)
So once it was on it looks like there is plenty of room went for a 4 mile ride everything's fine I'll go for a longer ride today,
Here are the tires with 8000 miles on them.

New tires

See less See more
#5 ·
Like for the most of us, that rear tire can be a pain in the ass. Came up with a technique that is about the easiest, or at least painful for me. I installed a center stand which makes things easier. Whatever your process is, get the rear tire at least 2” off the ground. Remove the left rear tailpipe. Obviously do this when it is cool. It’s just two 6mm hex screws just underneath the chrome shields at the mid junction of the exhaust pipe and tail pipe (just need to loosen them, not take them out), and the one 10mm (or maybe 12 mm) hangar bolt and nut on the top of the tail pipe. Then it slides back to come off. You’ll have to gently but firmly work the pipe off when sliding back. There are also two alignment tabs that need to be cleared. Once off, the back tire has plenty of clearance to remove. Installation is just the reverse. Make sure the tabs go back in their slots and use the torque specs for the 6mm hex screws. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN! There’s a compression gasket for the connection between the exhaust pipe and tail pipe. Don’t want to deform that.

#7 ·
Did you use any special tools or techniques to get the tires off and on? That is the one bike maintenance chore that beats me every time. Wind up taking the wheels to the bike shop for the tire replacement. Are the painted wheels on the Valk more susceptible to damage compared to non-painted alloy wheels?

#13 ·
48V So are you offering this as general advice, or did it work on 200 width tires?

Reminds me of when we put plastic bags on our shoes in order to step into those rubber winter overboots about 50 years ago...

#15 ·
I hope you're asking about mine... they're Corbin Fleetliner, well made, but not the easiest to install and about $2300. Pretty good capacity but won't hold a full face helmet like the stock bags do on an F6B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.