Battery - Page 2 - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 6Likes

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2020, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
I'm going to revive this thread since it didn't seem to really come to any conclusion.

I have the original battery in my 2014 Valkyrie based on the maintenance records that came with the bike. The bike seems to turn over very well. When the weather breaks I will take a look at the battery to try to verify that it is the original. The owner's manual specifies the Yuasa GZY20L.

Amazon has the GZY20HL which seems to be a direct replacement for the original spec battery. There is also the Antigravity ATX20-RS Lithium Motorsport Battery which looks promising but costs more than double the GYZ20HL battery. I'll post Amazon links below.

For next summer, I'm planning a cross-country trip from Washington to Wisconsin with my older brother (whose health is failing at age 74 as a direct result of two combat tours in Vietnam but that is another story). My brother's camping days are over but I will be riding from the west coast to Minnesota to hook up with him then on to Wisconsin. I would like to camp along the WA-MN section. What complicates this is I use a CPAP machine (I'm an old man too) and would need to charge the CPAP battery while on the road and the extra CCA of the lithium battery might come in handy. I'll also be charging my iPhone (used for navigation) and Apple watch while on the road.

Any thoughts on replacement batteries?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079VWGY...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003RF5A...v_ov_lig_dp_it

My thoughts on the lithium battery, stay the hel! away from it as it's just a fad. It's overpriced, not needed, and can be potentially dangerous if not charged properly. Stick with the OEM type Yuasa and sleep better knowing it won't let you down while not costing you your left nut.

As for the CPAP, I yep got a compressor too! The "extra CCA of the lithium" is irrelevant, the high output alternators we have on our bike are the beast that will effortlessly charge whatever you hook to it.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2020, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I still have the original batteries in my two bikes 2013 F6B and 2015 Valkyrie.
I know it's time to replace them.
A friend of mine got 13 years out of his original battery on his Honda 1100 shadow.

Let's Ride
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Yuasa OEM Batteries

I have received 9 and 10 years of faithful service out of stock Yuasa batteries previously without a tender.
My new to me 2014 Valkyrie is now on a battery tender and I'm not concerned one bit with it's age. However If I was planning a trip that would be something to consider for peace of mind.

If you can't be a good example, be a WARNING.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixshooter View Post
I have received 9 and 10 years of faithful service out of stock Yuasa batteries previously without a tender.
My new to me 2014 Valkyrie is now on a battery tender and I'm not concerned one bit with it's age. However If I was planning a trip that would be something to consider for peace of mind.
My original 2014 battery is still going strong and has never been on a tender and spends its winters in an unheated, single-car garage in southern Illinois. Went out yesterday to hook up a tender, but as strong as the battery tested I decided to just monitor it every couple weeks this winter. Have sometimes wondered if a battery tender can shorten overall lifespan, even while maintaining a full charge over the life it actually gives you. I know that modern electronics can't be compared with the chargers of old, so old anecdotes don't apply. Anyway, as long as it starts, I'm a happy camper!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
They are really wonderful, perfect and inexpensive for your winter storage situation. As far as shortening the overall lifespan, I would say the exact opposite. They switch between charging modes automatically and cannot overcharge. Charge modes are visibly indicated by the light. No thought process required, just plug it it. It will remain in float mode when not needed and actually keeps the lead within the cells clean extending the overall life of the battery as well as maintaining an optimal charge. I think I spent less than $25 bucks from either Amazon or Harbor Freight. My last several motorcycles I've been using these all year round between rides even in Florida. Bikes comes home gets parked, detailed, plugged in. I call that putting her to bed. Cheap insurance?
KUGO likes this.

If you can't be a good example, be a WARNING.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder View Post
On a bike, batteries and tires are two areas I never skimp on.

Richmonder
And oil.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
How does one skimp on oil? I ask this in all seriousness, not out of sarcasm. Once you find an oil that's the correct weight per the manufacturer's recommendation, are they not pretty much all at least satisfactory? I know there's the ever present debate over real versus synthetic, but these days, isn't one brand as good as another? Are there some that are truly inferior? Are there some also that are truly superior? I'd be inclined to use whatever the dealer fills it with. I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts and those of others.

Richmonder

"There are no motorcycles in a psychiatrist's parking lot."

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2020, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabballs View Post
My thoughts on the lithium battery, stay the ****! away from it as it's just a fad.
I'll have to disagree with you on this. I am confident that we will be seeing more, not fewer lithium batteries in the future. Lithium is not really new battery technology, just the more widespread use is. My CPAP machine, watch, and phone all use lithium batteries. Many RV have lithium batteries and the US Navy has used lithium batteries for decades. If I outlive my 2019 pickup, it most likely will be replaced with an electric one with lithium batteries.

Thanks,
~Farther
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2020, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
I'll have to disagree with you on this. I am confident that we will be seeing more, not fewer lithium batteries in the future. Lithium is not really new battery technology, just the more widespread use is. My CPAP machine, watch, and phone all use lithium batteries. Many RV have lithium batteries and the US Navy has used lithium batteries for decades. If I outlive my 2019 pickup, it most likely will be replaced with an electric one with lithium batteries.

I think you missed the point. Lithium batteries by themselves are a great piece of tech and they are the wave of the future, BUT, they need to be properly charged by a compatible charger or charging system specifically designed to charge them. Most older vehicles like our Valks have standard alternators. Improperly charging can lead to shortened life of catastrophic failure. Now ask yourself, and be honest, what real world benefit will you get over an AGM? That said, using a lithium battery in our bikes instead of an AGM is not going to buy you much more than bragging rights that you spent more money than you needed to. But, if it makes one feel better, by all means.....
Farther likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2020, 12:20 AM
SLO

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My VTX1300 has a Lithium Iron battery that put together from cells I bought from the internet. If you want to know what real world benefits there are then I think it depends if you really need the CCA advantage of lithium.
When I got my VTX I had problems starting it when the temps dropped below freezing. At 18 degrees it was a crapshoot if it was going to start easily or maybe not at all. This is after I put a new battery in it. Fact is the new battery made absolutely no difference. So I did the research, located the cells I want, bought 4 of them and some copper plate and jammed it in the bike. Next morning it was 28 degrees and the bike started much easier. Spun noticeably faster and caught on the 3rd or 4th revolution. I thought this was great! So I ordered 4 more cells to double the CCA and wowser! .. that made all the difference.
On an 18 degree morning it spun almost as fast as if I had just parked after a ride.
I threw a cell balancer on it and never looked back. Havent touched it in 10 years and it is still spinning like mad when I hit the button.
DID I spend too much? 200 bucks for a battery I havent touched in 10 years and it still goes like gangbusters.
I dont think I spent too much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page