1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jambriwal

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Jambriwal
Coolant Change

Coolant change or Anti Freeze depending if your north or south of the Mason Dixon line.
20,000 Miles. Manual specifies 24,000 but I had the time and the coolant was reading low.
I followed the shop manual and that's were things began to go wrong.
Pull radiator pods, belly pan and left side cover for coolant recovery bottle dipstick.

Coolant drain just above oil filter, 8MM socket. Remove radiator cap right side and radiator plug left radiator.
Let her flow.

Replace copper sealing washer for drain plug and o ring for radiator plug b 4 refill.
Easy enough yes.

Then book tells you to remove coolant recovery bottle. DO NOT DO THIS.
The hose that comes from the right radiator into the coolant recover bottle is about 3 " too short.
The only way i could get it in was with an 11" long bent nose pliers. Many failed attempts. ##&&***^^$$#@@
Instead use a turkey baster with a long hose attached to evacuate the bottle.
Coolant was a little low in the bottle so that prompted the change. Never had a problem with overheating but
who knows how it was from the factory.

I measured 3 qts out " Very Dirty" and put 3 1/2 back in. Book calls for 4 but it is what it is.
Fairly simple job after you take half the bike apart to do this but that is okay. I needed to familiarize myself with
all this, bolt, push pin hardware because its been a year and what you did last year seems long ago.
That's it. Job done.
Prgrmerror likes this.

Directions ? That's only the Manufacturer's opinion of the way this should be assembled.
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I just had the coolant and brake fluid changed on my F6B at the dealer, thought about doing it myself. Now I glad I had him do it.

Let's Ride
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I like your solution for the recovery bottle. It was probably the most difficult task in the procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:47 AM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambriwal View Post
Coolant change .Easy enough yes. Many failed attempts. ##&&***^^$$#@@. Fairly simple job after you take half the bike apart to do this but that is okay. I needed to familiarize myself with. That's it. Job done.
jam, I see you are getting intimate with your beast.. wont be long before you will know what makes her purr'. this is what I call wrench therapy. the more time you spend with your girl, the more you understand her and what she wants and needs.

I get tickled reading guys that want to pack a ton of tools for a trip and have never done any real maintenance. and they think they will be able to perform open heart surgery on the side of the road. first they wouldn't know where to begin even if they had all the resources.. and the other first is these are Hondas. tools, wtf? poncho

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page