Tire Pressure - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Tire Pressure

Checking to see if anyone has played around with tire pressures and what you like best. Not asking for the max. tire pressure listed on the side of the tire. That's too much pressure to run. And not asking for the Honda recommended pressure. I'm looking for what pressure gives the best combination of handling and cornering grip. It's usually a bit lower than what the bike manufacture recommends as they usually recommend pressure for maximum load capacity.
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:58 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Garage
I've been running 2lbs light on both the front and rear. I started with the recommended 36 on the front and 41 on the rear. I didn't see of feel any different on the rear, mostly because I've been riding alone and not maxing the weight limit. I don't not like the front tire. riding with 36, 38, 34 and as low as 30 the front end seems to wash out or have to much side movement on the road. Most of the time when it feels like it is sliding for no other explanation is because of all the road snakes Virginia finds it necessary to put down on the road instead of repairing it correctly. I can't wait for Avon or Metzeler to come out with the correct tires for this bike. I wish they would have just put a 18 on the front.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I also typically have run a few lbs less than what the bike manufacture recommends. That gives a wider contact area for real aggressive cornering and lean angles but I'm coming from the sport bike world. I don't plan to take the Valk to a track day but I want full confidence on the tight mountain roads. I really have not had a chance to push in the curves yet.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to see someone is trying different pressures instead of just maxing it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Jambriwal
After reading about tire wear on several different sites and experiencing cupping, I upped the front to 41 lbs. Ran my Harleys for years 36 front 40 rear but the gold wing series seem to want higher pressure up front. I like to get my $'s worth out of these expensive tires. Usually 10,000 to 15,000 on back tire & 15,000 to 20,000 on front.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
On the "other" forum, they run above the 36/42 recommendation. Some go as high as 44/44. I am running 38/42. Although it seems counter-intuitive, when my tire pressure was really low (came from the dealer set at 25/31) I had the rear end slip out from under me a few times.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I just got my Owner's manual from Helm today and notice I was incorrect about the 36/42. The recommendation is 36/41 as Surfndad said above. I'll probably stay with 38/42 since it seems to work okay.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
It's not a moto-gp bike.... so +/- four pounds or so isn't going to make a difference. Just run whatever in your head "makes you comfortable." As long as it's close to the recommended tire pressure, you'll likely never notice a difference.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Also remember tire pressures will vary with their temperature and the accuracy of some gauges can be questionable. If you're concerned about this your local Honda dealer should have a calibrated gauge that you can check yours against. I run 40psi front 42psi rear
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I installed tire pressure monitors on my bike a while back. Whatever you fill the tires at remember that is not the riding pressure you will be running on. Depending on the climate you live in as in my case here in south florida. after about 2 miles my pressure is up 2-3 lbs, front climbs faster than rear due to the tire volumn being higher in the rear. On summer riding my tire pressure climbs about 4-6 lbs so if I start out at 40 within about 2-4 miles pressure has climbed to 45. Cooler climates not as much. My gauge also monitors tire temp.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To SurfnDAD

Do not buy AVON tires for the 1500 Valkyrie unless you are only going to ride straight. The Venom tires for the Valkyrie howl, Howl, HOWL when cornering. So if you like to put the beast into corners stay away AVON VENOM. The noisiest tires for the Valkyrie I have ever owned!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page