Fog lights and headlight high beam - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Fog lights and headlight high beam

Is there a way to have them both operate at the same time?
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
A couple of the guys have bought these. http://www.bigbikeparts.com/template...6&GroupGuid=16
During the install they give you an option of installing a component that allows you to have the fogs turn off when you hit the high beams. If you leave that component out the fogs stay on when you turn on the high beams.

Last edited by Surfndad; 08-13-2015 at 09:15 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oem fog light on with high and low beam

Take the left side panel where the switch for the fog light are off. You will see a clear sleeve that protects the the connector. The relay in there signal the lights to go off on high beam. The blue wire is the signal wire. I remove the female connector from the plug with a paper clip and tape it up. Reinstalled relay, tested and lights stay on both high and low beam. Sorry but I did not test it with the relay unplug, you might try and test it with out the relay. The relay is not shown in the wiring diagam. It is part of the fog light wiring pig tail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
If you have not done so already, you may want to check the motor vehicle laws in your state!
In some states (like mine, New Hampshire), motorcycle auxiliary lighting (fog lights, driving lights, etc.) must be installed such that they only stay on with lowbeam on in the main headlamp. If you switch to highbeam, they need to go off.

2016 F6B
2014 Valkyrie
past owner of:
2007 Honda Shadow 600 VLX DeLuxe
2007 Honda VTX 1300
2007 Honda VTX 1800 F3
2015 Harley Davidson Sportster Iron 883
2015 Victory Gunner
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:07 PM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaBilly View Post
In some states (like mine, New Hampshire), motorcycle auxiliary lighting (fog lights, driving lights, etc.) must be installed such that they only stay on with lowbeam on in the main headlamp. If you switch to highbeam, they need to go off.
or stay outa NH. works for most folks.
Prgrmerror and Buster like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
If you have not done so already, you may want to check the motor vehicle laws in your state!

HondaBilly when you say "driving lights" do you mean:

A) high powered, see deer from a mile away lights or

B) low power lights so that other road users can see you?

Here in Australia lights like 'A' can only be wired with high beam. We would call them driving lights or spot lights. Using them implies that you are out in the sticks and there is no oncoming traffic.

Lights like 'B' can be on or off with high or low beam. We would call them fog or daylight running lights (DRLs). On low they are mainly for show, on highbeam they are irrelevant as they don't help much with seeing wildlife.

I'm just surprised that your New Hampshire authorities would take away from you the opportunity to see well up ahead on quiet country roads.

Peter
IBA#486

Other bikes: Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FJR1300, Triumph Tiger 955i, BMW G650GS.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX-34 View Post
I'm just surprised that your New Hampshire authorities would take away from you the opportunity to see well up ahead on quiet country roads.

Helps reduce the deer and moose population I guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX-34 View Post
HondaBilly when you say "driving lights" do you mean:

A) high powered, see deer from a mile away lights or

B) low power lights so that other road users can see you?

Here in Australia lights like 'A' can only be wired with high beam. We would call them driving lights or spot lights. Using them implies that you are out in the sticks and there is no oncoming traffic.

Lights like 'B' can be on or off with high or low beam. We would call them fog or daylight running lights (DRLs). On low they are mainly for show, on highbeam they are irrelevant as they don't help much with seeing wildlife.

In New Hampshire, ANY auxiliary lighting other than the main headlamp beam(s) must be wired to go out when turning on high beams.
As an example of this regulation, in New Hampshire the lower fog lamps on all three Honda Goldwing varieties - Full Dress, F6B, and Valkyrie - are wired such that they will illuminate only when high beams are off. If highs are on, even if you press the switch to turn on the fogs, they do not illuminate. Accordingly, if the fog switch is on, the fogs will illuminate only when highs are off. If you switch from low beam to high with fog lights on, even though the fog light switch is on, the fog lights will go out.
Same thing goes for any other type of "auxiliary" lighting.

2016 F6B
2014 Valkyrie
past owner of:
2007 Honda VTX 1300
2007 Honda VTX 1800 F3
2015 Victory Gunner
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:21 PM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Quote:
In New Hampshire, ANY auxiliary lighting Same thing goes for any other type of "auxiliary" lighting.
is this an operational safety type regulation? do they actually enforce it? or is it just another Revenue Generating compliancy trip wire?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:56 PM

All I can tell you, Poncho, is that unless all auxiliary lighting on a motorcycle goes off when switching to high beams, that motorcycle will not pass NH State Inspection!
New Hampshire has other nit picky regulations, too, like the color of your rear directional lights!
The rear directional lights on some motorcycles are red.
Others are orange.
Unless they are red (not orange), the bike cannot be modified to have them function as directionals as well as tail lights and brake lights. My Victory Gunner had orange rear directionals. I once bought a module to have those lights modified so that they were ON all the time, along with the central fender tail light/brake light, and they would also function as both directionals and brake lights. The technician no sooner opened the package, when he came out and told me that he could NOT perform the modification because NH law does not allow it when the directional lights are orange!
We then explored all his manuals searching for red replacement lenses for the lights, but none were available.
I would have had to put new, red directional light fixtures on the bike, which would have been a couple of hundred bucks.

As you may guess, I said the HECK with it, and rode away with my orange rear directional lights!

Go figure......

2016 F6B
2014 Valkyrie
past owner of:
2007 Honda VTX 1300
2007 Honda VTX 1800 F3
2015 Victory Gunner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page