Darkside - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SLO

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Darkside

I searched and didn't see anything here, although I'm fairly certain this has been discussed or even beaten to death as it is on many forums. So here it goes, please only respond if you've used/tried a car tire on your F6C and your take on it. I've run them extensively on my Valkyrie 1500. I'm not looking for arguments or non user opinions, simply if your running one on your F6C.
Also, if yes how many have used Achilles ATR-K Economist 175/55R17XL 88V and your thoughts on this choice.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Unfortunately with those requirements I suspect you're not going to get a response. All I can say I had a brief moment wondering what a CT would be like on my Valkyrie, but got it out of my mind as I love running the bike through the twisties. I'm not willing to give up that level of handling and fun factor using a CT. Good luck on finding your answer.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I know I'm violating your terms of responding, but I can't help myself.

Does it strike anyone else funny to consider putting a tire branded "Achilles", known in mythology as being the one and only weak link in a warrior's defenses (which ended up costing him his life), on a bike whose name comes also from mythology for being a warrior that is a harbinger of death? Sorry, but it just struck me as a very humorous, and ominous, combination.

Richmonder

"There are no motorcycles in a psychiatrist's parking lot."

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Firefight100
I am running that tire. I bought it thru amazon and mounted it myself. And I love it. put it on Jan 2019. been to 2 inzanes on it as well as I do 12k miles a year on the bike. I will not change back to a motorcycle tire if these are available. And I do not have chicken stripes on my tires. My pegs are kinda scraped up as well. So yes it does take the turns. Just cked, Amazon still has them available. Do not go wider or it wont fit, in a car tire.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 08:09 AM
SLO

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
@Firefight100

As a long time lover of darkside I have been reticent about darksiding the V due to the height of the sidewall in the few choices available in 17 inch tires. They simply arent tall enough to make it a great choice for darksiding. The magic is in the sidewall height. Not saying short sidewall tires wont work, just that taller sidewall is better. The sidewall compression in a lean is what puts more rubber down on the road. I have run a CT on my VTX for 10 years now and I absolutely love the increased traction in ALL situations. My VTX uses a 205/75 and when scraping the pegs it still has almost half the tread width on the ground due to sidewall compression.
I would love to see a video of your tire so I can see for myself the contact patch size while in a lean. A new rear tire is in my future next year and I would love to darkside it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I have the Achilles on my V and I am pleased with the cornering. It holds fine for my conservative riding style. I have never rubbed my pegs. It did feel like I was changing to an uneven lane for the first 1k miles. Now I don't notice it or it's gone.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
@Firefight100

....The magic is in the sidewall height. Not saying short sidewall tires wont work, just that taller sidewall is better. The sidewall compression in a lean is what puts more rubber down on the road. I have run a CT on my VTX for 10 years now and I absolutely love the increased traction in ALL situations. My VTX uses a 205/75 and when scraping the pegs it still has almost half the tread width on the ground due to sidewall compression....
What tire pressure did you run that CT at to get that much flex in the sidewall? I'm assuming its not compression as you stated.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks all...appreciate your responses.

If you can't be a good example, be a WARNING.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 08:16 AM
SLO

I run my VTX rear at 33psi. Tread wear is even and it had 40K miles when I picked up a nail right close to edge of tire. Had to replace it but it could have gone another 15-20K. Tread wear was even and it rides so much smoother than MT. That was a Pirelli P4 .. new one is some brand I dont remember. The ride is just as good on the new as it was on the old.
I have a picture taken on the Dragon that shows it pretty good but I just moved and havent connected the NAS back but when I do I will post that pic.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 08:21 AM
SLO

Found it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me on the dragon.jpg (270.4 KB, 30 views)
Buster likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page