Smoothing out your upshifts - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jambriwal

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Smoothing out your upshifts

For those new to the bike who might be finding the transmission a bit clunky on upshifts: I finally figured out that the key to notchless, noiseless shifting on this bike is all in the right hand. You have to be REALLY quick with that little wrist flick as you change. Any ponderousness(?) at all makes things significantly worse. I've now got all my changes to the point where there is zero clunking or noise from the transmission - and appreciating what an insanely good transmission this really is. The only indication I'm actually in a higher gear is the reduced revs.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Jambriwal
I put a light preload on the shift lever and that works very well. I short shift 1st to 2nd.
KUGO and ashram1974 like this.

Directions ? That's only the Manufacturer's opinion of the way this should be assembled.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambriwal View Post
I put a light preload on the shift lever and that works very well. I short shift 1st to 2nd.
I normally do not use 1st gear. Except for a park brake while parked, or when I am pulling in my garage. I don't want to hit the back wall as I have a strong incline and I need the slower speed of a granny gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I could easily skip first gear on this bike, and frankly don't see much need for it except in rare circumstances. It had never occurred to me I could just ignore a gear. But, I fear if I get myself used to skipping it, the next time I try to ride anything else, I'll be so out of practice that I'll kill the bike! So I'm going to keep on using it for no other reason than inertia and habit.

Richmonder

"There are no motorcycles in a psychiatrist's parking lot."

Previous bikes:

Honda Z50A (sold)
Kawasaki KS 125 (sold)
Kawasaki KZ 650 (sold)
Honda V45 Magna (sold)
Honda VTX 1300r
Honda VTX 1800r
Honda CTX 1300
Honda F6C Valkyrie
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
If you can rev match the downshifts you can rev match the upshifts I'll do it occasionally on the ups but more so on the downs
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 06:11 PM

It is hard to get up to speed using 1 gear. You are winding out the motor at 10 miles per hour. I barely get half way through a corner before I need to shift. I had a Vulcan 500 which I have recently sold. I had no problem with taking off in second if I forgot. Remembering has not been a problem as most bikes will take off in second with ease. The Valkyrie just has a granny gear for a first and is not needed.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkiejon View Post
It is hard to get up to speed using 1 gear. You are winding out the motor at 10 miles per hour. I barely get half way through a corner before I need to shift. I had a Vulcan 500 which I have recently sold. I had no problem with taking off in second if I forgot. Remembering has not been a problem as most bikes will take off in second with ease. The Valkyrie just has a granny gear for a first and is not needed.
Like some old pickup trucks with a towing/hillstart 1st gear, I think ours is from the Goldwing meant for duckwalking, not taking off on a normal start.

2nd owner of 2014 Valkyrie

Previous Bikes:
66 Benelli (Montgomery Wards) 125 cc Riverside
74 Yamaha Enduro DT360
74 Honda CB450
76 Kawasaki KH500
77 Yamaha RD400
80 Kawasaki KX250
71 Honda CB750K1
82 Yamaha Virago XV750
'95 Honda Magna VF750CD
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Like some old pickup trucks with a towing/hillstart 1st gear, I think ours is from the Goldwing meant for duckwalking, not taking off on a normal start.
I have to agree, as I do use 1st at backed-up 4 way stops after work on the way home. But on take off I no more than get the clutch let out and it is time to shift. There is nothing smooth or cool looking about a first to second shift on these bikes. I never used the granny gear in my old truck either.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
I think it was in the manual, or perhaps in one of the professional reviews, where I read about the stock feature that ever so slightly increases engine speed when an approaching stall condition is sensed. I was stuck in a traffic jam the other day and tried it in 1st with throttle and idle, but now kicking myself for not trying it in 2nd. Note to self, remember this is on my to do list, starting with about a 1 second to smoothly but quickly release the clutch with 0 throttle, and then going progressively quicker or perhaps in 3rd, without just letting it snap out of my finger tips. I have done the 'start from a stop in 5th gear with a little throttle' and was surprised at how little I had to slip the clutch. I've previously posted that in discussing this with the EXCELLENT Service Mgr at DFW Honda, he mentioned a guy with an ankle problem who never uses 1 OR 2nd gear on his GoldWing!

2nd owner of 2014 Valkyrie

Previous Bikes:
66 Benelli (Montgomery Wards) 125 cc Riverside
74 Yamaha Enduro DT360
74 Honda CB450
76 Kawasaki KH500
77 Yamaha RD400
80 Kawasaki KX250
71 Honda CB750K1
82 Yamaha Virago XV750
'95 Honda Magna VF750CD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page