Topping off gas? - Page 3 - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 2Likes

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Having more fuel in the tank of your bike or carrying a jerry can or even going hardcore and installing a plumbed-in auxiliary fuel cell has no affect on anyone's bladder or belly grumbles.

I'm always surprised when the topic of extra fuel range is countered by somebody referring to their bladder. More specifically that their bladder can't last as long as the fuel .

I often run 42 litres and I can stop anytime or anywhere I like for a leak or a bite to eat during that fuel leg. I don't have to stop at a gas station for that.

Similarly, when I do have stop to fill my tank I don't pace back and forth for half an hour waiting to get hungry or feel the urge for a leak.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I always top off and have never had any gas leaking. I usually stop for gas at 160-180 miles when the fuel gauge gets down to the last bar. I'm usually riding long distances and have no clue how far the next exit/gas station will be.

2015 Valkyrie; 2004 V-Star 1100, 1997 Goldwing Aspencade
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
I always top off and have never had any gas leaking. I usually stop for gas at 160-180 miles when the fuel gauge gets down to the last bar. I'm usually riding long distances and have no clue how far the next exit/gas station will be.
Same here... except I have a pretty good idea distance to gas stations.

I straddle bike, fill little past brim, wait and let it go down, fill some more, and wait once more then fill. I'm thinking that if we all waited, we could prob get at least a half gallon in there but hey, I ain't that obsessive about it or getting a gazillion miles on a tank of gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:28 PM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Quote:
180-200 miles is about 4 bars on my redbaron. even now back in the city, I am consistently getting 250 miles per refill at 5gal top off. I do stand the bike up straight with my little buddy 2x4. I only fill it up like this Before I go riding so that I burn off at least a half or more gallon of fuel, or it will piss like OX did all over the driveway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bear Tooth 19-39.jpg (196.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Bear Tooth 19-40.jpg (167.6 KB, 16 views)

Ursus Horribilus
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho View Post

180-200 miles is about 4 bars on my redbaron. even now back in the city, I am consistently getting 250 miles per refill at 5gal top off. I do stand the bike up straight with my little buddy 2x4. I only fill it up like this Before I go riding so that I burn off at least a half or more gallon of fuel, or it will piss like OX did all over the driveway.
There is no way that you got 328 miles on 5.6 gallons of gas.......you must be drafting semis and riding like a grandpa lol.....that's about 58.5 mpg.....
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HValkrider View Post
There is no way that you got 328 miles on 5.6 gallons of gas.......you must be drafting semis and riding like a grandpa lol.....that's about 58.5 mpg.....
hv, I could repost all pix but you could just as easily see them here https://www.f6cforum.com/forum/14-ri...-vs-world.html
I did indeed get pushing 60mpg most all the way in the mountains of NM, CO, Wy and Mt. last month.

this bike has given 50mpg from its first tank and even now is still doing that here now back in the city. When I traveled, pushing hard 75mph steady with that new batwing sno/windplow, I did get lesser mpgs. but as soon as I got to NM mountains and topped of with No Ethanol fuel, my mileage soared. I have experienced this same phenona with other MC motors as well. I think the altitude, cold dense air, better fuel and the fact that I don't ride hard and fast attribute to good numbers. But YES I consistently get 250 miles city driving and pushing 300s in the mountains.

1st week of September I am scheduled to ride north up Mississippi thru Indy. I may push further north thru Mich and into Canukistan and ride the top of lake GitcheeGoomi (superior) again. west toward Fort Smith and south thru Fargo. I will track and post mileages, some of this might include the dreaded interstates, yuk..

Ursus Horribilus
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
There are a lot of variables to increase MPG. My MPG increased by 35% when I was driving in Texas versus Chicago. Could be the gas blend, non-ethanol, the lack of traffic, etc. Cruising at low speeds makes the biggest difference. I'm usually going around 80-90, but if someone is cruising at 55, they'll get far better mileage.

2015 Valkyrie; 2004 V-Star 1100, 1997 Goldwing Aspencade
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of variables to increase MPG. My MPG increased by 35% when I was driving in Texas versus Chicago. Could be the gas blend, non-ethanol, the lack of traffic, etc. Cruising at low speeds makes the biggest difference. I'm usually going around 80-90, but if someone is cruising at 55, they'll get far better mileage.
I would bet that its just cleaner fresher air , less lead (bullet) pollution.. but then we do tend let a few fly. speaking of which 80-90 is flying and you are punching an ugly hole (any similarities are purely coincidental) in the air and dragging a lot of dead weight behind, so yeah, your gonna burn up some fuel.. cruisers are for cruising , anything less than 70 qualifies.

Ursus Horribilus

Last edited by Poncho; 08-20-2019 at 05:04 PM.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho View Post

" I only fill it up like this Before I go riding"
If you filled it up like this "Only Before" you went on that 328 mile ride and filled the roughly 5.6 gallons up but didn't "Fill it up" again, that doesn't tell you your true mpg reading because you are not bringing the fuel level to the exact amount that you had when you began the ride. The only true way to be exact on mpg when you ride is to fill up the EXACT same way EVERYTIME. I always fill on the side stand until it comes up the neck, then look at the gallons reading on the pump and pump an extra .250 gallons in everytime.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:09 PM

hv, all these pix are from my Montana run last month. I pull into hotel end of day and don't fuel up till morning when I am pulling out. If I topped off and then set the bike down on its side stand to sit for the evening it would piss out that extra half gallon I squeeze in there getting the air out. So I don't fill up at end of day.
Riding around the lakes here, I only top off when I am on my way out, so that my riding I consume at least half gallon 25 smiles worth before I stop for cold frosty beer. that way the redbaron doesn't leave a piss puddle like Ox did at the station.

I have been riding and filling up bikes for over 50years. I know exactly how much and what each bike needs and behaviors it does. between the 3 dozen bikes I have worn out, I have ridden well over a half million miles. so its not like I don't know how to get it done.. I top them all off exactly the same every time. I even carry a little chunk of 2x4 to put under the side stand to keep the bike near vertical so I can get as much fuel in there as possible. same same same every time. I top off only when I am completely ready to ride and put at least some miles on before I will be stopping again.. I reset the trip A only after each refill and use it as a gauge to see how well or not my engine is performing. Trip B is used for total trip miles. Topping off like this gives me room to go much further with out the typical ass pucker worrying were the fk is the next station when wandering out in the boonies. Only because I was getting such great mileage did I begin to take pics of the Trip A and gas pump, knowing full well that you would not believe me otherwise. but personally I don't give a rip wether you do or don't. I know that if I manage my energy / riding style I can go further than most of you would have the cahonies to even try. poncho

Ursus Horribilus

Last edited by Poncho; 08-20-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page