any ideas? - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
any ideas?

just bought 2014 valkyrie and i like it the only thing that bothers me is the shifter it seems that there is not enough clearance is this just a learning curve or is there something i can do?
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza101 View Post
just bought 2014 valkyrie and i like it the only thing that bothers me is the shifter it seems that there is not enough clearance is this just a learning curve or is there something i can do?
FWIW I too thought that was something "I would have to fix" yet 8 months in and it doesn't bother me in the least. Quite like it in fact as it coaxes me into that tucked in position where the knees grab the tank. And that keeps my grip on the bars light. And that makes me ride better. Wow, all that from having a close-in shifter. Who would've thought? Seriously though, my suggestion is get to know the bike before doing too much. Honda engineers usually have pretty good reason for setting things up as they do

Last edited by Geepers; 04-06-2019 at 11:48 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I would suggest you give it some time. As Geepers mentioned he felt he might need to fix it and didn't. With my new boots long ago I thought "Oh dear" and then meh. Now running very large boots and zero issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I put on a heel-toe shifter by Kuryakyn. No more sore big toe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
The shifter was my immediate disappointment first time riding it.

I've gotten used to it but still do not like it. Seems it was better suited for a smaller foot in a smaller boot or shoe.

I do not plan to make any changes and will leave it as is.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I never had an issue with the shifter. I'm not even sure what "clearance" issue you are talking about. My size 13 boots fit just fine with the shifter on my Valk.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My size 10.5 U.S. boots work great with the Valk shifter
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillPickle311 View Post
The shifter was my immediate disappointment first time riding it.

I've gotten used to it but still do not like it. Seems it was better suited for a smaller foot in a smaller boot or shoe.

I do not plan to make any changes and will leave it as is.
That kind of sums it up for me, too. I have size 11 boots, but which boots I ride with makes a difference to the point that I exclude some from my line-up of choices with this bike. For me, the issue is the height of the toe of the boot, from the bottom of the toe's sole to the top of the exterior at about the toe "knuckles". I have some boots that are really thick in this dimension and they make shifting, up-shifting in particular, more difficult. I just use other boots that are thinner there when I ride the Valk. I've always just assumed it was designed by and for Japanese (smaller) feet. You really do adjust to it, as long as you aren't wearing engineer-style boots.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUGO View Post
That kind of sums it up for me, too. I have size 11 boots, but which boots I ride with makes a difference to the point that I exclude some from my line-up of choices with this bike. For me, the issue is the height of the toe of the boot, from the bottom of the toe's sole to the top of the exterior at about the toe "knuckles". I have some boots that are really thick in this dimension and they make shifting, up-shifting in particular, more difficult. I just use other boots that are thinner there when I ride the Valk. I've always just assumed it was designed by and for Japanese (smaller) feet. You really do adjust to it, as long as you aren't wearing engineer-style boots.
Yep! I kinda hate it for a lot of folks who are then forced to get a heel/toe shifter or some other gadget.

Again with this valky, I fall back on the thoughts of the engineering and what would work best overall. I imagine they tried various shifters or extensions and etc. and then settled for this one.

I wear a 9.5 size but still have had issues with various boots I wanted to wear but shifting would have been a pain.

I will say the location is most likely idea to prevent it getting bent or broken if a tip over.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I don't know anymore about this than it's available but here is a shifter upgrade that might good.
You have to go down a little to find the upgrade.
http://www.dhsracing.com/GL-1800.htm

Let's Ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List