Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

SoCal vs Show Chrome fogs?

21K views 52 replies 19 participants last post by  Buster 
#1 ·
I'm a True Believer when it comes to lights. Lights save lives, loud pipes just make me horny. I'm trying to decide between the Show Chrome tridiums and the SoCal fog lights that are essentially similar. They both require the $50 relay, but the Show Chrome's are $80 cheaper than the SoCal set right now. $220 vs $300 They both turn signal, act as running lights, and are a rectangular fit in the cowl iirc. I've never seen either set in person, and can't find many reviews on them anywhere, so if you could chime in and tell me what you know I would appreciate it. The SoCal does have a better install video...

#23 ·
......... I too would like to add “Fogs”. Is that a generic term or is there a difference between fogs and driver lights................

Fogs generally work on low beam, which is how most people would drive (cars even) in fog. High beam just creates so much more white out. Depending on local regulations, running fogs on low beam in any road conditions can increase your visibility so cars can see you better.

Driving (or Spot) lights work with high beam. They are so that you can see better down the road to avoid animals. debris etc.

My bike's previous owner fitted SoCal lights down low I understand. They are on all the time and do not dip.

I have since added spot lights up high (where they work better) so I can see kangaroos (or emus, wombats, sheep, cattle, camels, whatever). They work on high beam.

#3 · (Edited)
I have the Show Chrome Tridium and another local guy has the SoCal, others local have the original OEM or the standard early Show Chrome lights. Out of all, in side by side tests, most agree that mine are the brightest. The guy with the SoCal wished he would have waited in and got ones like mine (even mentioned selling his and getting the Show Chrome). I do not have the turn signals wired up with the Admore Adapter.....which is bout 50 bucks give or take and am very happy with just the lights. I keep em on all the time for visibility, both to be seen and at night to see. I might get the adapters and get the full functionality, but am content as is for now.

And I would like to add that mine seem to protrude or extend from the cut out a little bit and hide the cut in the cowl whereas the others seem to be recessed with a little gap. Fit and finish is great.

#4 ·
Just installed SoCal lights, easy install following along with the video, plug & play. I did run a lead for the DRL but did not install the Admore Adaptor (probably will later). I run the DRL all the time (hi & low beam) and I think they are ok for being more noticeable. IMO, the fog lights do put out a good pattern and are bright enough to provide the lighting I need for basic night time riding and being able to spot critters, mainly deer. I have not seen the Show Chrome Tridium but overall I am happy with the SoCal and would buy them again.

#5 ·
I’m also looking at the show Chrome Tridium leds. I much prefer the looks of the halo DRL on the SoCal pathfinder leds but the show chrome has better fitment (no gaps) and higher light output from the few reviews I’ve seen. Combine that with the current lower price it’s hard to justify choosing the SoCal leds.

For those of you that bought the show chrome tridium leds can you confirm if this is the correct part number?

Show chrome BB51-916

Plus the adamore adapter part number A-GL18RFL

#8 ·
I appreciate you guys responding. I decided to order the BB52 - 916 tridiums this aft from WingStuff for $220 total. I was pleasantly surprised to get a tracking notice a couple hours later. The AdMore Valk adapter A-GL 18RFL has an 8-12 day lead time with no tracking for $6 basic shipping. Looking on the bright side (ahem) I get to practice impatience.

#9 ·
I personally installed the SoCal fog lights and couple of weeks ago I had a long trip for more than 2800 KM and mostly as the road was highways, it was dark. I was really pleased with the lightening level of the SoCal with the admore lights adaptor (some of the riders with me on that trip was GL1800 Goldwing and had different dog lights, and mine was much more brighter on the road).
The overall lightening patterns of SoCal and how it looks is awesome, the only thing that I did not like is the Gaps around the fog light.
You can see the attached photos that maybe helpful.

Attachments

#14 ·
Hope I can get a little help with this. I installed the Show Chrome Tridium LED light kit. As expected the main lights turn on and stay on with high beam. What I completely don’t understand is the running light and signal wiring. Can someone post what are my next steps. I do want full functionality. I’m pretty sure that means an Ardmore? Relay. The kit doesn’t go into any detail due to this kit is meant for the F6b
Thanks

#15 ·
I also installed the show chromes yesterday w/o the AdMore adapter because Admore took 10 days just to process my order. That's not a misprint. So IF it gets here this week I'll take everything back apart and hopefully will have Fogs, DRL's, and turns operating and will report back. I hope it comes with directions for our bike. Meanwhile, I like the triptip pipes, although they are more muted than I expected. A good look and sound, and GREAT bang for the buck. $160 shipped and arrived from Singapore via Hong Kong and LA faster than AdMore could find the post office. I readjusted the 2" risers and the bars feel natural. Didn't get around to the B-wing 18 yet, although I will this week. Real nice improvements to the ride.

#18 ·
Couldn’t wait. I installed the AdMore adapter and wired it together. Here’s where I am. The on off switch works. The lights work on low beam only (intended). The signals work. The DRL doesn’t work if I pull power off the same feed that feeds the AdMore. (No idea why. Feed is feed No?). If I clamp the DRL feed to the pos on the Battery the entire setup works properly DRL goes out and amber signal flashes on the appropriate side. So I guess I need to find a different keyed source for the DRL’s. Anyone able to help me get this home?

#19 ·
I stayed on this and figured it out. It wasn’t difficult just a little worried that I would turn on the key and have something really bad happen. All connections are soldered. All functions work correctly. I used the AdMore instructions to connect to my harness. Then just some common sense to finish up. I pulled the power for the DRL from the socket that feeds my usb power port under the seat. All that’s left is to aim them when weather permits.

#20 ·
Just some post install thoughts and a question. These lights make a huge difference. First time out I had them on and clearly saw a deer dead in the road taking up most of my lane. I easily avoided it and wondered if I didn’t have them if I would have run right into it. So they get an A+. No one flashed brights at me so I guess I’m not blinding oncoming traffic. My only question is for folks that have them. My on/off button is lit when the key is on. It doesn’t matter if the fogs are on or off. The button turns the fogs on and off alright. I just thought it would only be lit if the fogs were on. Can someone confirm so I can stop wondering if I connected something wrong.

#24 ·
Update, it’s been 3 weeks and the left fog burned out. I called ShowChrome and was very happy with their response. I did tell them i cut the signal connector off to connect to the Ardmore adapter. They thanked me for being up front and said that’s not a problem for them. They asked for me to mail it back as they don’t see this failure often and said they will send a new one out ASAP. I will follow up when I actually get the replacement to let folks know if they do what they say or if it turns into trouble.

#25 ·
I just want to follow up. I did get a new replacement. Show Chrome customer support is very good. The folks are easy to work with. I unfortunately can’t install it. I sent back more than they sent. Totally my fault. They called me to say they will get me the bracket back ASAP

#26 ·
Hey Prgrmerror, thanks for the updates. I'm halfway through the install and had a question about running the wires (DRL and Turn signals) from the fog lights back to under the seat where the admore adapter is. What is the best route?

When the turn signals are activated do the DRL and fogs turn off so all you see is the amber signal? Or do both DRL and Fogs stay on plus the turn signal?

Thanks!

#30 ·
Just an update: I wrapped up the Tridium LED install. I ended up running the wires between the radiator and what i think was the fuel rail above the valve covers.

Things to note was that accessing the factory harness to tap the Admore adapter as a pain to access. These factory harnesses are double taped over thick rubber wrap. I didn't want to just slice into the harness and risk cutting a wire so I did it the slow way.

Second note was the lower plastic shroud is a pain to remove and install.

Fogs work great. DRLs turn off when signals are activated. Fog lights themselves are more white than the factory headlights. Fitment could be better. The fogs appear to be positioned too much to the outside so the shroud is resting on the glass which makes installing the shroud difficult. If I ever have time I'll open it back up to see if there is any room to shift the lights in towards the wheel. Overall I'm happy with them light output is great.

#35 ·
I started to install the Show Chrome fogs Sunday night. Getting the cowl off was not bad but the reinstall has been a pain and the lights are too wide apart to fit the cut outs. I pulled the cowl back off, this time I removed the side pins on the upper cowl which allowed the bottom to pull out far enough to make removal and install of the lower much easier. This is not shown in the videos.

The issue with the fogs being too far apart was remedied by me pushing on the inside edge to bend the brackets back and closer to the engine and toward the center line of the bike and now they fit into the cowl openings.

I am having an issue with the longer left side fastener, it just won't screw in so I am going to remove the cowl again and check the metal clip. In the reinstall process I broke one of the 2 center push pin fasteners so I need to find a replacement for that.

I decided to go without DRL and Turns. The DRLs don't seam that bright so I'll likely leave the fogs on all the time. The Sh Ch harness is made to reach up to the turns but it would be easier with the Valk if they ran over to the same side to tie into the other harness or a hot lead for the DRL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.