Auxiliary fuel cell - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Auxiliary fuel cell

I'm considering installing a 5 gallon auxiliary fuel cell on my bike. Drilling into either the tank itself or into the fuel pump plate is my plan.

As part of the preparation I'm wondering if anyone has any pics of the underside of their fuel tank and/or pics of the fuel pump plate to help me find an appropriate drill site?

Peter
IBA#486

Other bikes: Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FJR1300, Triumph Tiger 955i, BMW G650GS.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
No idea to your question but following. 5 gal seems huge though, where were you hoping to mount it?
wgold9722 likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Here ya go.

And from the top:

Struggled to find these for another project.

Might be easier (but more $), to put a second fuel pump in your aux tank; then you would just have to put a T and a check valve where the fuel line connects to the rails. And you would never, ever, have to worry about a bad fuel pump stranding you on the road....

Or... if you liked to weld and paint...you could cut off the top 2" of the stock tank, raise it by about 2" in the front and 3" in the back, and then add a filler panel all around, fair it, paint it.... I'd bet you would gain about 2 gallons. And it would...almost ... look stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Pago Cruiser.

I'm planning on mounting it on the pillion area for Iron Butt Rides. I have done similar installations on several of my other bikes:

Peter
IBA#486

Other bikes: Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FJR1300, Triumph Tiger 955i, BMW G650GS.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

I won't use a pump for the auxiliary cell, just gravity feed.

I contemplated using the bike's vent line, but it is too high. So I'll find a spot on the bottom of the tank near the pump access port and drill there.

Peter
IBA#486

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Nice bike stable!
Interesting on doing it on a current Valk- should be comfortable. Now I understand the need for another 5 gallons.
An Iron Butt on a Honda 90??? Bet that took awhile...

Except for the Honda Cub, and the S Tenere, you have good fairings/windscreens on all. Why nothing on the S Tenere?
I do a 0.7 Iron Butt a couple times a year for work, riding an ST1100 from Tucson to Big Spring, TX, 700 miles. But it is almost cheating; the ST has a 7.4 gallon tank, and the freeways in AZ and West TX are posted at 75 and 80 mph. Meaning traffic sometimes runs 85-90... It's a really fun ride! It's not too hard to average 75-78 with one gas stop at 40-42 mpg; but it's also dicey running to the last 0.2 gallon in the tank...

Any other special rep work you are doing on the Valk?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pago Cruiser View Post
Nice bike stable!
Interesting on doing it on a current Valk- should be comfortable. Now I understand the need for another 5 gallons.
An Iron Butt on a Honda 90??? Bet that took awhile...

Except for the Honda Cub, and the S Tenere, you have good fairings/windscreens on all. Why nothing on the S Tenere?
I do a 0.7 Iron Butt a couple times a year for work, riding an ST1100 from Tucson to Big Spring, TX, 700 miles. But it is almost cheating; the ST has a 7.4 gallon tank, and the freeways in AZ and West TX are posted at 75 and 80 mph. Meaning traffic sometimes runs 85-90... It's a really fun ride! It's not too hard to average 75-78 with one gas stop at 40-42 mpg; but it's also dicey running to the last 0.2 gallon in the tank...

Any other special rep work you are doing on the Valk?
The Iron Butt Ride on the Honda Cub took 23 hours and 6 minutes.

I like naked bikes best, despite having had many fully faired bikes. I removed the Super Tenere screen and replaced it with some alloy checker plate as small as possible. It gives a good view of the road:

Here's some more bikes that I have ridden Iron Butt rides on:

As for the Valkyrie, I have already ridden an Iron Butt ride on it - with a pillion aboard. I'll install better driving lights than the ones I currently have up on the handlebars. I have the Rivco highway pegs installed already. Add an Airhawk seat pad and not much else is needed...

Peter
IBA#486

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I like your driving lights mounted on the handle bars. Could you please send me the brand/model and where I can buy them? Thanks
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepo707 View Post
I like your driving lights mounted on the handle bars. Could you please send me the brand/model and where I can buy them? Thanks
Pepo707 I'm in Australia...... I think that you're in Florida.

They are just generic 25W LEDs bought from a local Aussie chain store called JAYCAR.

You should be able to get them from ebay. Just search 25W LED or something. Here's something similar from Amazon:

The mounts are specific. Specifically, they came from a boat/marine parts store and usually are found holding the stays on a bimini (the collapsible roof canopy thing on a boat).

Peter
IBA#486

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:23 PM

Location: 'tween the Red River and the Wall, what we call the free fire zone
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX-34 View Post
I won't use a pump for the auxiliary cell, just gravity feed. contemplated using the bike's vent line, but it is too high. So I'll find a spot on the bottom of the tank near the pump access port and drill there.
Ox, this is probably too late as your project is dated a year ago..
But couldn't you just route a 10mm flexible fuel hose under the tank and then up the front of the chrome filler housing and route it into the fill cavity. Punch a hole and hose fitting in the top of the plastic gas cap. If you are gavity feeding you can assist with an inline squeeze fuel bulb to start the flow. have a shut off you can manually start/stop the flow. watching the fuel indicator you should be able to add fuel without overfilling if your careful to not top it off.

this way you aren't punching holes in the integrity of your fuel tank and you can always replace a plastic gas cap for a few dollars. even if they are Aussie dollars. poncho

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page