Jumps out of 5th - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Jumps out of 5th

If I get a bit too touchy feely with the gear lever and don't positively put it into top it sometimes jumps out and back into 4th by itself. Scares the living suitcase out of you when it happens. And the sound 'aint too pretty either. Solution: WHACK IT INTO 5th LIKE A MAN! SHOVE THAT THANG IN THERE! No sissies allowed.
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Firefight100
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefight100 View Post
According to that they sorted the issue from 2014 so shouldn't be that. I'm gonna go with more assertive changes into 5th and see how that goes. Operator error is my guess at the moment. Thanks for the link tho...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
This has been my issue as well only that it doesn't just pop out of 5th whenever but usually just after I've shifted.

You definitely have to 'put your foot in it' to resolve this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
It never happened to me on my Valkyrie and only once on my 2013 F6B with 45,000 miles on it.

Let's Ride
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I haven't had any issues with the tranny going "out" of gear and into a lower one, thankfully. What I have noticed, however, is if I'm wearing boots that have a "tall" toe area and I've got that toe under the shift lever to be ready for the next upshift at some point, I sometimes accidentally/unintentionally apply too much upwards pressure and find myself jerked into the next upper gear. Annoying, and operator error for sure, but not nearly as attention-getting as an unexpected downshift. Hate when that happens.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Starting to think this is more a “was never properly in gear” than a “jumps out of gear” problem. I’ve adjusted the way I change and will see.
shrubbo likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Had this happen a couple of times on my new 8000km Valk. (Imported from your hometown actually Geepers) I really hope it is just because wasn’t positive enough on change. Last one I remember clearly. I really feel I was a bit wussy with the gear selector. got itself into a false neutral after I tried go from 5th to 4th, Then it tried to jump back into gear with a crash. If it finds a false neutral again I will get the clutch in next time.
Geepers likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I did it once but it just ground a little before going in. perhaps it was my fault as i was teaching a hot rod hardly a lesson on acceleration when it happened and i was shifting fast .

The best part of growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old .
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Sounds like it might be a common experience - ie that you can "feather in" all the other gears but have to be more positive with 5th. I'm going to slow down this shift just a fraction and also be more assertive with it. I'm also going to "hold the gear lever up" in 5th while l let the clutch out. I don't normally do that but will start doing it with 5th and see. I would say the shift into 5th is the mosts vague of all the shifts on my bike. You never quite get that definite "through the gate" feeling you do with the other shifts. Anyway, trial and error I guess until you find something that works. We all shift so differently it's hard to have a "one rule fits all". On a side note, I emailed my dealer (where I bought the bike new) a couple of days ago and asked for his thoughts on this issue. Stony silence so far. Will report back with what he says (if he ever does).

Last edited by Geepers; 10-11-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page