Question regarding normal motor sounds/ vibration - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question regarding normal motor sounds/ vibration

Good Morning:
I just last week purchased a 2014 Valkyrie. It had 780 miles (now 1100 after I got it). Unfortunately, I don't know any other Valkyrie owners to compare, so I am asking for your help.
When I hit 3000 rpms, there is a mild yet notable sensation of vibration in the handlebars. I can know I have hit 3000 rpms by the sensation alone. It almost feels like mild resistance in the engine on and off translating to the handlebars. The engine itself, or the power output is fine, and if I give the engine more throttle, the sensation minimalizes. But, at a lower throttle lever, the sensation is noticeable. It feels like a drag, and it might be accompanied by a slight whirring or rubbing sound. It is worst between 3000-3500. I am sorry for the vague description, but as it occurs when driving, not idle, it is difficult for me to isolate the issue (if it is even one). Also, below 2000 rpms the engine feels a bit 'gravel-ly'; I'm not sure if this is simply the lugging point, or what. As this is a Gold Wing engine, it strikes me as something slightly wrong.
I have the extended warranty for two more years, so the problem is not urgent. The problem is the nearest Honda Powersports is two hours away. Thus, I want to be sure I have a problem, and this isn't simply a characteristic of the engine. I have owned other motorcycles, so I am aware that, even at its worst, it is way smoother than most others.
As an aside, the dealer, who serviced the bike when I purchased it, had left the oil levels low. I didn't notice till I got home after a 3 1/2 hour ride. I checked the next day, and they were low. I have added more oil (about 1 1/2 quarts), and it slightly helped - or maybe it's placebo effect.

Any thoughts or advice for diagnosing would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Daniel
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I feel none of what you describe and the handlebars are rubber mounted BTW

The best part of growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old .
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Iíve had my Valk for 8 months from brand new to now 11k miles and counting. Iím with use2b as I donít feel anything near what you describe. Power is smooth, linear, vibration free (side mirrors clear as a bell) from idle to redline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I guess when I get a day I will schedule a check with Honda.
Thanks!
Daniel
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I too have nothing but smooth vibration free power to report.

I wonder if the fuel was nasty with only 780 miles on it. Maybe the bike sat around with old fuel being started and stopped at the dealership a lot Could it be a dirty injector? Maybe try a good hit of Seafoam in the tank. Im sure you have filled up already so that should not be an issue.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Does the vibration go away when you pull in the clutch. Do you feel the vibration in all gears.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
I wonder if maybe if there could be a wheel balance issue and the whirring/scrubbing could be brake calibers. Mainly it is you suggesting a feel with on/off throttle.

Machine is just too new and you would want it looked at if it continues.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I've had a bit of free time yesterday to pay more attention. I am leaning right now towards a fouled spark plug. She idles up and down a bit and sounds like it might be missing. The spark plugs seem like an easy check, and it would make sense, as the bike probably sat a year or so before I bought it, and the gas probably fouled it up when I rode it home. I have to find a torque wrench first (I have the sockets), but they seem to be easy to get to, and I will give it a shot this weekend. I'll write back when I know.
Thanks for the advice
Daniel
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
We use to use seafoam in ford pickup engines before trying to remove the spark plugs. It aided in burning off the carbon around the spark plug threads. You could then remove them without breaking off the spark plug. It also cleaned the fuel system.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I don't know if this applies to our Val, but the Gl1800 guys were saying you need to let the bike set and idle until the fan runs to reset the GU. This is done after air filter, elevation change etc.
Good luck getting your Dealer to do warranty work. I even complained to Honda factory reps. No joy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page